Postings by Caroline's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Small Dogs > I might be a new small dog mom!
Caroline

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 12:33am PST 
Weird. My grams calls her dog Little Bit.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Charlie Morgan Whitmore, Aug 21 8:09 pm

Small Dogs > Distance Exercise
Caroline

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 12:59pm PST 
Because I do distance runs of up to 20 miles. I don't even take Chloe more than 5 miles because she just isn't a distance runner. I don't feel comfortable taking a dachshund/chihuahua mix who has patella luxation running. Somedays I walk Chloe instead of run her depending on her gait because she needs breaks. Those are the days I'm intending to drag the little one along.

Thanks for the info! I will work her up to some longer hikes! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lupi, Aug 15 9:47 pm

Small Dogs > Distance Exercise

Caroline

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 1:14am PST 
We recently adopted an 11 lb dog. I take my larger dog on long hikes and runs and realize I have to leave Caroline at home. I am slowly working with her in duration. She does a two mile walk a day. In addition to Chloe's separate, but necessary 5-mile run, I have little spare time. Basically, I am wondering how far you small dogs go because I'd love to make some walks simultaneous (obviously I wouldn't run Caroline)? I've seen many of you on the hiking trails, but don't feel like interrogating your parents!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lupi, Aug 15 9:47 pm

Small Dogs > I just have to say how freaking awesome small dogs are!!!

Caroline

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 12:25am PST 
I hate dachshunds and I hate chihuahuas. Never in a million years would I guess that I would have a chihuahua dachshund mix. laugh out loud But she was a street dog that needed a home.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Radar O'Reilly, Aug 28 9:07 am

Small Dogs > I might be a new small dog mom!

Chloe

Barked: Fri Aug 12, '11 11:12pm PST 
We just adopted a chihuahua/dachsund mix and there was a lot for me to learn! She cannot wear a collar because many small dogs have sensitive tracheas! After her first 3 days with us, she began hacking and throwing up. After some research, we realized her trachea was the problem, as she tends to pull (she's still learning to heel). We bought a harness and all is well. smile

The hardest part is treating her exactly the same as our 60-lb pit. No carrying or couch privileges, unless both dogs are invited. Treating them differently due to their size encourages small dog syndrome. Oh, and there are some health issues specific to their breed as well. Good luck and thank you for rescuing!
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Charlie Morgan Whitmore, Aug 21 8:09 pm

Dog Health > Declawing dogs?
Chloe

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 2:54am PST 
Same kind of vet that would declaw a cat. Those that are out for $$$, even if cruelty is a prerequisite.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Tallulah, Jun 14 7:31 pm

Behavior & Training > Unleashed neighborhood dogs

Chloe

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 11:26am PST 
Yes Lily, there is a safer long route I often take which is what I'll be sticking to for a while. smile I don't think I'll ever take the other route again after dark. It is a spooky nearby park which we do laps around if I want a shorter run. During the day there are plenty of people there, but not at night.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Jan 23 11:26 am

Chloe

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 11:17am PST 
That's good to know the mace worked before. I'll keep hoping I never need to use it. I am also going to try the bullhorn. What an excellent idea. Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chloe, Jan 23 11:26 am

Chloe

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 9:13pm PST 
I run daily with my dog, but I am growing fearful of wild and loose dogs lately. On a recent trip to Oregon we were confronted by an unleashed Rottie on one of our runs. I carry mace w/ me just in case and held it up and the Rottie backed away (not sure if he knew what it was or what).

My brother is a cop and mentions that mace usually works, but not with all dogs (he encounters attack dogs). Well, today we were running and a guy let us know that there were two pit bulls out and about w/out leash and the two pits chased him and he had to climb a fence into the nearby baseball park to escape. True or not, I don't know, but I wasn't taking any chances so we cut the run short.

I can't imagine what I'd do if anything happened to my girl. I know mace may help, but it may not. It is not possible to just leave Chloe at home because she needs her exercise. Do I just have to take my chances and hope for the best out there?? Does anyone have any similar experience or advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Jan 23 11:26 am

Behavior & Training > Does my dog still like me?
Chloe

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 9:06pm PST 
Does your husband spend more time with her or exercise with her? Chloe sticks around me more than sheldon for that reason. She does still like to be around us both best though. She also gets very excited when his car pulls up too. Does your dog wag her tail when you arrive home?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ziggy, Jan 13 4:43 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.