Barked: Sun Oct 16, '11 8:57pm PST 
Pet Department
[notify]
» There has since been 1689 posts. Last posting by Suzy Q, Fri 6:22 pm

Grooming > Where do I start...
Molly

Yes I do have to- wag with my- whole body

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 9:05pm PST 
Something you can do that I used to do with my long haired matted fosters is to first bath using a pet safe conditioner. If you can't afford one of the ones specifically meant for dogs a baby conditioner will work. This will help with the mats. It takes time and patience. Most dogs who don't like to be groomed have had a bad experience or have had issues with grooming tools. Since you can bath her you can condition her. I would work the conditioner into any bad spots she has by combing with my fingers first. (avoid areas that she doesn't like to be touched if you are worried about being bitten) To a lot of frightened dogs fingers are more like petting or being scratched than a brush is. Do the best that you can with your hands and then rinse her very thoroughly. The conditioner will help with getting knots out and help her stay knot free without clipping. If she has bad mats then simply take a small pair of scissors and clip those. Better to have some short spots and some long than have someone yank at your hair. There are also products that are spray on at most big pet chains that detangle. Once she is used to this you can move onto using a brush to get the knots out. Take your time and remember no one likes their hair yanked at. This is just an alternative to clipping you might want to try. Sedation at any time carries too many risks to have it done for clipping in my opinion I don't know the whole circumstance I am just not one for sedating dogs unless really needed.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Molly, Oct 13 9:05 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Would you breed your dog?

Molly

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 8:38pm PST 
Absolutely not. Even with Molly's sweet as can be temperament and great color I wouldn't ever contribute to the pet overpopulation issues. There are too many dogs that are put down every day to make me even think of wanting to bring more into this world.
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by Mayhem, Oct 26 6:56 pm

Dogs & Travel > My Dog Spirit, a moto and his sidecar, 4 years on the road.

Molly

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 1:07am PST 
Being up in NC without my Molly is killing me and I have been seriously considering a sidecar for my motorcycle. Your stories are inspiring.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by spirit, Nov 8 8:14 am

Dogs and a Clean Home > a dog friendly floor covering????

Molly

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 1:02am PST 
I can't comment as to flooring because mine deco style right now is early renovation but I can comment on cleaning bare floors in Florida. The best thing EVER is a shark vacuum sold here for about 170. It is amazing for both carpet and bare floor. It takes a lot for me to be impressed with a vacuum as until recently I always had a shed o' matic for a dog. I also use a mini floor sweeper for when I don't feel like vacuuming both are a must for bare floors, hardwood, tile, or laminate. It picks up sand, fur, and just about anything you can think of. No matter what flooring you decide I would get one of the shark pet friendly vacs.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sabi, Oct 13 2:43 pm

Dogster Railroad > Transport Needed - Longview TX to Jacksonville FL
Molly

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 12:57am PST 
I can probably take a leg as I live right near Jacksonville tell me what you have so far and I can see if I can work something out. I am currently in NC so the sooner I know the sooner I might be able to help.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gunner, Oct 16 11:38 am

Puppy Place > BEWARE** PuppyFind.com (Edwardstraining.net)

Molly

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 12:55am PST 
Just a word or 50 about puppyfind and your corgi. Puppy find like any dog finding service can have both good and bad elements on it. It is a service and some bad people take advantage of that. They do say that they have a signed health certificate for their puppies. Giardia (I hate spelling that) can be sudden onset or it can come on gradually. It is highly infectious and can be gotten if the puppy eats cat feces (not uncommon for puppies to do) this can happen in a backyard anywhere there are stray cats. I have dealt with a dog with giardia before and although it is a pain to deal with it can be dealt with. There are a lot worse things not many but a lot. The point is any dog can contract it from coming into contact with an infected cat, cat feces, or an infected dog. If the kennel that it came from had a problem with Giardia then you probably can find that out pretty fast. Then again the puppy could have contracted it from another source such as strays cats in the neighborhood or from a vets office (I have seen it happen). I would ask for the health certificate and talk to the breeders before coming to conclusions. Not saying they are great and not saying they are bad with Giardia it is hard to tell where the dog got it. Your vet will be able to tell you how to help the dog and how to keep yourself from getting infected. My home is clean I do not own cats but we have strays in our vicinity. When one of my dogs contracted it it was sudden onset and very scary. He got it from one of the strays. If it were a genetic disorder or anything but a fast onset bacterial infection I would be more likely to blame the breeder. In this case it is hard to know.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Talker, Jul 3 3:13 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Pound dogs: your opinion

Molly

Barked: Thu Oct 13, '11 12:29am PST 
Ok first I couldn't stay away but had to take a break from dogster and rescues for a little bit. It got overwhelming. My first dog was a high risk rescue. He was said to be a biter, chewer, and a number of other things. He turned out to be the most wonderful dog I have ever come across. He bit a child (hated children until the day he died) but then again when I adopted him he had 3 broken ribs probably from being kicked. Hey you kick me I'd bite you too! In the 14 years that I had him (he was 18 when he passed) he only ever chewed one thing and that was a playstation controller that looks suspiciously like a large plastic bone so I couldn't really blame him. He never bit anyone but had an extreme hatred for anyone under 4 foot tall. I don't have kids so that never came into play accept when we were out and then I was very careful to keep him away from where children might be. He was my love and still holds my heart. The only reason why I was called when he came into the shelter was because I knew the person that ran it and she knew I would be ok with a dog that had problems.

A shelter dog is not for everyone especially with bad shelter practices becoming more and more prominent. Some people just are not prepared to deal with behavior problems or phobias that shelter dogs might have. If you do want to adopt a shelter dog you also might want to look into a good trainer while you are at it. An untrained dog and an untrained dog owner are a very bad combination. There is no such thing as a perfect dog but there is a such thing as the perfect dog for you. If you are going to adopt a dog go to the shelter and play with a variety of dogs. Don't pick dogs because of color or breed or looks from a shelter. Pick a dog that fits well with you. Do your research and remember getting a dog is not like getting a car or sofa. You can't just walk in and buy one. If you take your time at a shelter you will find the dog that is a good match.

As I am ordinarily a one dog person Molly was from someone who didn't take care of her and didn't want her anymore. If I didn't have her I would adopt another dog from a shelter and most likely a "problem" dog. I know my limits and I know several good trainers in the area the I have worked with with a few different dogs. We all would love to save every dog we see but if you even suspect you can't handle a behavior that the dog has do not adopt it. You will be miserable and the dog will be too. One of our local shelters had a great idea of offering a training course with each adoption (basic obedience).

Just my 3 cents.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by goldie, Oct 13 9:37 am

Plus Power of the Paw > misty is not doing all to well......

Molly

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 11:47pm PST 
You and Misty are definitely in all of our prayers. Have you tried senilife it is a medication that can help with dementia. It helped Romeo after his stroke be a little more of himself.
[notify]
» There has since been 74 posts. Last posting by Gracie Jane our Furever Angel, Nov 8 6:20 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need a break.
Molly

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 11:45pm PST 
Thank you all... I took the day off today a first in about 4 months. I snuggled my puppies, we ran around the yard, rough housed, and chased butterflies until we all were filthy. Only after the rolling around with all 4 of them did I begin to feel better. Animals are truly gods gift to us.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Sep 29 4:10 am

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.