Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dog Health > Irregular Heartbeat?
Kujo

That's mine.- That too. It's- all mine.

Barked: Mon May 26, '14 6:35pm PST 
I need to know if anyone else has gone through this with their dog.

Kujo here is eight years old, and I had him at the vet to get him some relief for his allergies- but while he was there, the vet noticed he had an irregular heartbeat. I brought him in the next day and had a full EKG done, which showed that his heart would pause too long, then beat really fast three times to make up for the pause, and it did this consistently.

He hasn't shown any symptoms yet, but the vet and I agreed that it will be best to look into this more just to be safe. So tomorrow I have an appointment for him at Purdue University with a cardiologist, where they'll likely be doing more in depth scans and stuff. I don't know for sure what they'll decide to do. My vet said there are generally three ways this could go- it could be so mild that we don't really need to do anything yet, he could have to go on some heart medications, or worst case scenario, the cardiologist might recommend a pacemaker. I didn't even know dogs could GET pacemakers.

Has anyone else gone through this with their dog? My Google-ing is failing me- I find lots of stuff about heart disease in dogs, but not specifically about what the vet called "synaptic episodes", or something. This is all out of nowhere, and I'm worried. He's only eight, the last thing I expected was a heart problem. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 28 9:00 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to find a trainer for self-training of service dog
Kujo

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 4:23pm PST 
Thanks so much! And yeah, I would absolutely love to also get my service dog into agility- both therapeutic for me, and good exercise for them. I doubt I'll be able to do anything more than just casual agility for fun, but it still looks like it would be good for both of us.

I'll check out that list! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 30 3:23 pm

Kujo

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 1:14pm PST 
Oh, having backup breeds is a really good idea! That works, because I've never been to a dog show, and I've always desperately wanted to go to one, especially after reading a book about them.

Do I have to go to a bench show in order to be allowed to mingle backstage when the dogs are getting ready, or can that be done at any show? I know there are only like, six bench shows in the US every year, and one of them is Westminster, probably no way I could get there! party

The fun part will be finding a dog show that isn't hours upon hours away. XD Anyone know of any near Indianapolis?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 3:23 pm

Kujo

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 4:23pm PST 
Thanks for all the advice! smile

The reason I didn't go for a Lab or a herding breed is more for the dog's benefit than mine- I'm really not sure I could keep up with a really high energy breed. I have bad knees, but I take my dogs on walks around the nearby park, and a Shiba seemed like it would fit in well with that system we already have; I would hate to pick a high energy breed and then find that the work it does as my service dog isn't enough to keep it engaged and happy. I mean, I've heard of people who take their dog running for miles and still have an excited bouncy dog at the end of it- I would die! party
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 3:23 pm

Kujo

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 5:48pm PST 
The way I see it, while a Shiba may be difficult to train, there's a big reason it can pay off if it goes well- Shibas are evidently well known for being loyal and focused on one person and not giving anyone else the time of day. Which, while if you want a friendly Lab to catch dates you would not want that quality, it's the perfect quality I would look for in a service dog for myself- the ability for independent intelligence and problem solving, and the ability to bond and focus easily without giving much thought to other handsy people. :3

It's something I'm familiar with, seeing as I have Chihuahuas and a Papillon, and they're exactly that way (mine are, anyway)- they ADORE me and my family, while being suspicious of strangers. They warm up to strangers fairly quickly as far as petting and taking treats, but it normally takes months to earn the same kind of trust that me and my family have with them- belly rubs, wrestling around, being absolutely glued to you, etc. (Aside from one coworker of mine that just seems to have a magic touch with dogs. It's kind of amazing.)

So yeah, while some aspects of the breed could be drawbacks, I think that some of those natural tendencies can be focused in a way that will actually be beneficial. Definitely something I'll be discussing in depth with the trainer I find long before I even bring the puppy home. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 3:23 pm

Kujo

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 12:40pm PST 
To answer your questions:

No, I have not trained a service dog before. I imagine most people haven't. That's why I'm looking for a professional trainer who has trained service dogs to work with. I'm not going to just wing it on my own and expect miracles; I plan to have regular sessions with the trainer, hopefully weekly, throughout the training.

I have trained many dogs to high levels of obedience my whole life. I am presently working with Rinoa, one of my Chihuahuas, who is one of the most stubborn dogs I have ever worked with- she's in classes right now, and even the trainer there is struggling to get her to cooperate, but I'm so proud of the progress we have made despite her inclinations toward not cooperating! A dog that used to flop over and refuse to follow commands is now reliably doing that command, and working on others. It's slow going, but when it comes to dogs, I have patience. smile

I have not owned a Shiba Inu. I worked for a dog day care that had two Shibas brought in every day, and I spent a lot of time with those two and loved them to pieces; I know two dogs are hardly representative of the entire breed, but they were good examples of well adjusted, healthy, and properly socialized Shibas who got along with dogs and humans and handled strange things in stride.

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, so obviously Shibas aren't exactly a common breed out here. I have spent hours upon hours on blogs and forums, reading accounts and diaries by the Shiba owners there, from the normal dog diaries to the people working with nightmare Shibas, including one blog run by a person with a Shiba SD. I've always loved the breed, and I'm well versed in their drawbacks and tendencies.

The breeder in particular that I'm working with has winning Shibas in the show circuit both in the states and in Europe. Her Shibas are all health tested for all the issues Shibas are prone to. I keep in touch with her and many of the people who have her puppies on her Facebook page.

I am prepared for a wash out. It's one reason I'm going with a breed that I love so much and will fit into my lifestyle- if the Shiba ends up not being SD material, I will be keeping the Shiba as a pet, for sure.

I think I'm doing as much as I can, really. I've done hours upon hours of research into both the breed and research about service dogs. I know that things may not go well and the dog might have to be washed out, but I'm prepared to keep it if that does happen.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 3:23 pm

Kujo

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 11:05am PST 
Hi everyone! I have some questions regarding getting started on the road to a service dog.

I've struggled with mental illness for most of my life. I have depression, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, and ADD, all diagnosed over the last ten years. But recently I've started having panic attacks, too- and the kind of panic attacks that feel like a freakin' heart attack. They're so painful that I've ended up in the ER before, and have been prescribed heavy painkillers to take when they happen, which unfortunately take 20 minutes to start working.

With this new development especially, I've been mulling the idea of how much a service dog could improve my life. (Yes, I'm also medicated and under a doctor's care, which has helped significantly but not entirely.) I've done a lot of looking around, and discovered that a psychiatric service dog could do many tasks that would enable me to make it through each day better, and sometimes get through days when I would otherwise lock myself in at home. Such as when my depression seems to peak for a few days, and on those days I easily sleep through all my alarms in that depressive funk, and a service dog could make sure that I wake up with my alarms. It would also be amazingly helpful if, when I have one of my debilitating panic attacks, the dog could retrieve my medication and stay with me to keep me calm and level-headed until it actually kicks in and starts to help. I've read that some dogs can even sense a panic attack coming, and oh my god, that would be so amazing you have no idea- being able to take the meds before the pain kicks in would be a DREAM.

I have incredible trouble going to some doctors, like dentists- I would love to be able to go to a dentist and get a cleaning without being drugged up for it due to anxiety. I would love to not miss an average of one work day per week- if I didn't work for a family company, I would have been fired a long time ago for how much I miss due to my mental illnesses.

There are other tasks too that would help so much, but I just wanted to show that I'm not one of those 'get a dog certified so I can take it everywhere with me teehee' kinds of people. I know from my research that it's a huge problem, and the last thing I want to do is be part of the problem. If I do this, I want to do it right.

On to my question: I really want to train the dog myself. I want the dog to be fully integrated with my lifestyle, my family, and my other pets growing up. I also feel like with a psychiatric service dog, it's incredibly important that the dog be completely in tune with me, familiar with my various quirks and symptoms. I have a breed in mind, and while not traditionally seen as a service dog, it's a smart, medium sized breed that I've always loved- a Shiba Inu. I know it's not your usual service dog, but I know they are smart, quiet, and become devoted and loyal to their owner. I think with proper socialization and training, it would be a good fit.

My question is, how do I find a trainer who is willing to work with me on this? When I search for service dog trainers, I find the companies that train them for you, and what I'm looking for ideally is an individual trainer who has experience training service dogs, who would be willing to do regular sessions with me and the dog in training once we get the basic obedience and socialization down. Is there any kind of listing of trainers that are able to train service dogs, but not include the companies that train the dog for you? (I'm in central Indiana, btw.)

I know this is going to be a long road. I'm in talks with a breeder of smart, amazing, healthy Shibas who will be having her yearly litter around the middle of next year, so I have time to really consider this and plan things out carefully.

Any advice would be greatly helpful. I'm going in on Thursday for a regular appointment with my doctor, and I plan to bring it up there, too, and see what she thinks.

Ugh, I'm really nervous posting all this on a forum. I normally don't go around talking about my issues with people. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 3:23 pm

Behavior & Training > First time dog owner : Getting several puppies, bad idea?

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 6:53am PST 
Yeah, I agree with everyone up top- ESPECIALLY with the large working breeds! I brought home two Chihuahua puppies from the same litter, Jinx here and Rinoa, and while I don't regret it one bit, I won't be bringing two home at the same time again. It was a LOT of work, monitoring both their training, and giving them both quality time away from each other. Add in the extra hard regiment of exercise that the Shepherd family of dogs needs, you would need to quit your job and all your hobbies to make sure every dog got everything they needed every day! party

Also, getting one at a time will really help you to get in tune with their individual personalities faster. They'll really blossom if they have your attention focused on them as they grow up, and not them plus 1 or 2 others. It's easier when you have a dog that's already trained and settled in to show a new puppy the ropes- I've always found that it's half as hard to housebreak a puppy when there's a housebroken adult dog already in the home, because the puppy just 'gets it' better when they watch another dog do the routine!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 1:15 am

Small Dogs > My Chihuahua Won't Leave the Trash Alone! PLEASE HELP!!

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:54am PST 
I agree with everyone above. Get a tall aluminum can that the Chihuahua can't push over, preferably the kind with a closing step lid. My Chihuahuas are also confined to certain rooms in the house with dog gates so I can monitor them, and there are no trash cans in the rooms they have access to. Works for me, living alone and all, not a ton of trash. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jan 5 1:30 pm

Shiba Inu > Will Be Adding a Shiba! :D
Zeppelin

Bounce!

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 8:08pm PST 
Hello all!

I've always wanted a Shiba Inu, I love the breed, but the time has never been right. Well, I met a breeder who is really amazing and super nice, has dogs showing all over the world, and only breeds one or two litters a year- and for her planned litter for next year, no one had put down a deposit yet!

So, that means that since I jumped at it first (a couple months ago now), I'll get the pick of the litter (aside from any that she wants to keep for show, of course). She's expecting the breeding to happen around April, which means I'll probably be bringing home a Shiba puppy around late summer (I might be wrong, I know little about doggie gestation times party ).

In the meantime, I'm doing lots of reading, and I have a long time to collect puppy supplies and prepare. Any advice for a new Shiba owner? I have small dogs, obviously, but I believe that introducing the Shiba as a puppy will go a long way toward making sure the integration goes well. smile I've done a lot of research into the breed, too.

It feels so far away! I can't wait, but at the same time, there's so much to do- and I've never had a puppy reserved before the litter is actually born, so I'm super excited about being able to watch from the very beginning!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 10:10 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.