Postings by Happy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 115: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Collar or Harness?
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '15 4:06pm PST 
I absolutely Hate no pull/front clip harness's and would doubt the education of a trainer that recommended them. I've been invovled in the autopsies of dogs that have had them used and the damage it causes to the shoulders and front end as well as the first of the spine is very real and very serious.

Just in case you doubt it Here.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Happy, Mar 15 4:06 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Collar or Harness?
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '15 12:05am PST 
Breezy, on the CGC prongs are allowed for service dogs if it is a part of their normal gear. I use prongs a lot with strong young dogs to learn to give better to pressure.

Sadie as to your question. I use a harness on All of my puppies until I teach the to release to pressure which usually I start around 12-14 weeks depending on the puppy's development. Until that point I like to keep a pup in a harness so they aren't learning the wrong lessons about pulling on a collar.

I do eventually transition all of my puppies I train over to a flat collar but various tools might be used in between the harness/flat collar stage to make the process as low stress and successful for each dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Happy, Mar 15 4:06 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Hello!

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '15 11:36pm PST 
Socializing a dog is so much more than taking them everywhere with you. Service dog public access training should be done carefully and in small doses at a time. Taking a puppy out with you all day long is counter productive and can actually ruin a dog's desire to work.

The absolute first thing I recommend you do is find a local trainer who is familiar with service dogs and have your puppy properly evaluated. There is so much that goes into service work that you need to know that a puppy has the right temperament for the job before you invest thousands upon thousands of hours in their training.

As for doing public access with a puppy start small, 5-10 minutes twice a week in a new quite place right now is important. You can move this up to 10-15 minutes after 5 months or so, then 15-20 minutes after around 8 months. Sessions need to be about the puppy, not about picking up your dry cleaning or getting milk. They need to be positive based and you need to watch your puppies body language closely for sines of stress or fatigue. Check your state laws, some state laws cover service dogs in training, other's don't. If you live in a state that doesn't cover service dogs in training then find places you can call ahead and get the owner/manager's permission to train. If state law does not cover you this CAN NOT be grocery stores, restaurants or anywhere that sells food. State/federal law will trump health codes but if you aren't covered under state law then health codes apply and you and the business owner could get in trouble.

Keep training fun, and light, and be prepared that even if you do everything absolutely perfect a dog can still washout. Most of your large service dog schools have a wash out rate of 50-70%. These are big schools who have specialized breeding programs to produce exactly the kind of temperaments needed, and health testing done, on top of training programs designed around training dogs by people who do nothing but train service dogs. Owner training has worst statistics and if you aren't absolutely ruthless on your evaluation for washing a dog out then you aren't being fair to the public, to the dog, and most importantly to you.

I'm always willing to help new handlers with etiquette, ethics, training, or just listen to problems so feel free to email me, you can find my Email on Happy's page.

Cheers and the best of luck to you and your puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sadie, Mar 2 11:29 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Tips for self training Psychiatric Service dogs

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '15 11:23pm PST 
Honestly with a dog at 6 years old my best tip would be wait until you can add a dog to be specifically trained and raised as a service dog. Service work is mentally and physically demanding on a dog and with training that takes close to 2 years to complete if you are getting the recommended hours of obedience, public access, and task training done.

Two years into training puts your dog at 8 which is at or past the age which most dogs are retired for service work obviously depending on health.

Bond is not the end all and be all, I'm sure a lot of people will tell you that it is but while having a dog that is bonded to you is great it's really not needed for a dog to do their job.

There are a lot of good groups (and plenty of bad) on facebook that are a bit more active that could give you a better idea of what living with and handling a service dog are all about.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Happy, Feb 14 11:23 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog resources in VA?

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '15 11:34pm PST 
There is a group on facebook for Service dog Trainer and Organization review, I would ask there. I don't have any contacts in Northern VA that works with owner trainers. You might contact Ravenwood Farm Labs, I know that they produce a lot of service dogs. They are in Kenswick VA (I'll admit that I don't know without googling if that's north or south VA) and they may have some leads for you. Good luck and great job for looking for a trainer.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Mar 10 5:07 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dog Distraction Tips
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '15 11:31pm PST 
I would recommend that you both look into the book/dvd's Control Unleashed, as well as the book Fired up, Frantic, and Freaked out. They are great books for people with reactive dogs or even just those who can't concentrate well around distractions.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Happy, Jan 28 11:31 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New SDIT

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '15 11:29pm PST 
Honestly with border collie's there is a good chance it Is anxiety. There is a serious problem in the breed right now with weak nerves and sound/motion sensitivity. As for motion sickness there's really nothing I've seen work long term for this, some dogs will grow out of it but a lot it is a problem for the rest of their life. Wish I had better news for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Jan 31 10:23 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Protection Dogs

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Jan 24, '15 4:38pm PST 
A dog that will naturally protect you is different than a dog that is trained to protect you. I always recommend the latter since the chances of a dog that will bite without training having good nerves and not being a liability are low to none.

As far as dogs that will protect you with training a lot depends on what your lifestyle is rather someone will recommend one breed over the other. Things like what kind of energy can you deal with, and what kind of coat care you can deal with make a huge difference with breeds that are recommended.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 9:43 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Booties, A question and advice needed

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '15 11:42am PST 
The sooner you start with boots the better. And introducing them positively will help with the future of wearing them in a positive and upbeat manner.

You might try the Pawz booties with Breezy... I doubt they'd rub, and while they're not attractive they are functional in all but the hottest weather.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, Feb 16 6:44 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Booties, A question and advice needed
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '15 7:14pm PST 
The help the most, I used Muttluk boots for Happy for years but never liked the way they turned on his foot. They didn't irritate his dew claws but they also didn't really provide any traction on slick floors or provide Enough hot weather protection in summer months.

I have heard good things about Neo Paws, they claim (and it does look like) that when wrapped properly the straps won't irritate dew claws. I have not tried them myself mostly because they come in what I feel are awful gaudy colors, and just look bulky but they may be worth trying with Breezy if you're really worried about rubbing.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, Feb 16 6:44 pm

(Page 1 of 115: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.