Postings by Tyson's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > How To Propose Dog Park To Town
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 8:08am PST 
Unfortunately, this isn't an instruction thread but it could be used as one in the future. I need help to write the proposal and also some ideas about how to finance the project. My "public comment" can only be 3 minutes in length. I am fairly certain I could speak well (I used to act in college) as long as I have note cards (bad memory).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tyson, May 24 8:08 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > going to court about Bruno
Tyson

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:38am PST 
I haven't been on Dogster in ages and this is the first thread I looked for. I am SO happy everything worked out for you guys. And what a relief about those fines! Congratulations and keep up the great work.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sirius Padfoot Black, Mar 1 10:04 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw Feeding and Children....too risky?

Scout

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 3:52pm PST 
Scout has been eating raw fish on occasion for a couple weeks now. I've been using it when his meals need just a couple more ounces. We're tight on money so we've been buying a 4 pound bag of individually wrapped tilapia for $11. The individual filets can weigh anywhere from 2 ounces (good for the younguns) up to 5 ounces.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Feb 1 1:31 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Feeding and Children....too risky?

Scout

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 4:38pm PST 
My kids are 4 and 6. We have rules for them and for the dogs, well, Scout. He is only allowed to eat his meals in the crate or in the back yard (he just started asking to do this). The kids aren't allowed in the crate. Even if we didn't have the crate, they aren't allowed around the dogs when they are eating anyway.

Vinegar is the most kid-friendly cleaner I've heard about. It is roughly 90+% anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. If you want to increase the efficiency of it's properties you can combine it with a 3% hydrogen peroxide. Keep in mind that peroxide is TOXIC, though, and must be rinsed thoroughly. The combination spray is supposed to be 10 times more effective than either spray by itself and kills e. coli and salmonella. Again, rinse all surfaces sprayed with a joint solution.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Feb 1 1:31 pm

Dog Health > Just a bruise???

Tyson

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 3:02pm PST 
I'm on the watch and see boat. I would give it a few days and since he is an older dog, it may take a bit longer. Like Libby said, I would give it 4-5 days and see if there is improvement.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tohbi - Deceased 10/04/2013, Jan 31 1:22 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Second Strike
Tyson

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 1:54pm PST 
You know, I could get offended. But, honestly, I am not going to be concerned by someone that leaves an anonymous comment. If it was someone I knew and respected, I might feel differently. When I worked in retail we had a saying, "You can please 10% of people all the time, 80% of people most of the time and 10% people never."

Tyson is still doing well. Well enough, in fact, that when we went to the dog park today, he could fetch while I used the Chuck-it without even limping. His mood and range of motion are doing nothing but improving still. We added in chondroitin and msm (actually, it's an all-in-one pill) because I had read that they were helpful in the body's repair of cartilage. It seems to work working well.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lucille, Jan 31 11:40 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > For those of you who have adopted "strays"

Tyson

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 3:34pm PST 
I'm with Libby. Shelters and pounds do their best to locate the owners of lost animals. Had he been micro-chipped, a mere $10-$20 at most places, he would have easily been reunited with said owners. Even if Scout had come to us without a chip, we have put one in. It's just too easy for dogs to lose their collars and thus their info. It's harder to lose something that is under their skin. I've heard England is thinking of requiring microchips on all dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Feb 10 9:53 am

Behavior & Training > Brag - So Awesome!

Tyson

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 1:01pm PST 
Good dog Charlie!!!cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 7:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Training with Toys

Tyson

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 12:12pm PST 
Squ'mey, spit mitt. LOL laugh out loud

Zephyr, I can see how it is harder to shape. Just getting Tyson to make eye contact was a challenge because if I shifted the ball in my hand, he would just stare and stare at it which defeats the purpose. Waiting him out took FOREVER. All I could see in his brain was, "she has the BALL! BALL! How do I get the BALL? It was something a minute ago. But she has a BALL! I LOVE BALLS!" I almost felt bad for him.

How were you able to develop the drive? I'm having a hard time figuring out what Scouts primary drive is. He likes/loves food but doesn't exactly go bananas for it and I get the same reaction with toys. I caught him outside herding leaves by barking, crouching and stalking a week or so ago.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Steele, Jan 25 8:17 am

Behavior & Training > Dog fights
Tyson

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 11:54am PST 
I think a behaviorist or trainer is your best bet. Not only to give you a second opinion but also to maybe convince your roommate that euthanasia isn't always the only solution.

The tarp would definitely be a short-term solution to a long term problem. Some work with desensitization and behavior modification be called for. Even with the tarp, I wouldn't let him outside without being a leash that is in your hand. Fence-fighting is like counter surfing in that it is a self-rewarding behavior. He is rewarded when the other dog gets called inside by its owner or it walks off and vice versa for the other dog.

If I were in your shoes, I would start the training in the house with a high value treat/reward. I would go with either "watch me" and "leave it" or "look at that". Once I was getting 85-90% consistency, move to the back yard by the door. Go through the same process as inside. Move a little further away. Rinse and repeat until I am next to or near the fence. Until my dog isn't fence reactive, I would have him toilet on leash in the front yard.

There are others around here that have first hand experience with this issue and I hope they chime in.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Liam, Jan 25 9:19 am

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.