Postings by Sophie's Family

GO!

Dogs and a Clean Home > Swiffer Wet - not safe for dogs?

Sophie

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 11:45am PST 
Since my dogs (like most others, I'm sure) will lick up anything from the floor, I don't want to use anything toxic. I have been using a steam mop for several years now and my floors not only look cleaner, but are not sticky at all. And I don't worry about the girls licking up chemicals with that dropped piece of food!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Aug 7 6:50 am

Dog Health > Handling a dog at the vet?
Abby

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 11:04am PST 
I have an 11 year old Aussie mix that does not like being restrained, especially grabbing her around the neck and holding her. My vet is wonderful. She knows this and reminds her techs whenever we're there. They simply hold her collar and, if needed, distract her with a treat. I have had techs manhandle my dogs in the past, and I tell the vet and if it happened a second time, I left the practice, telling them exactly why. We have to stand up for our dogs!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abby, Aug 8 11:04 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Am I being rude to new Neighbors?

Abby

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 12:39pm PST 
I have two dogs and there is a problem with the dog behind us. The family has three young children and really shouldn't have a dog. They had their last dog for the first 4 years we were in our house and they never once took him for a walk or out of the yard. After he died, she told me they were considering getting a border collie! I told her they are extremely high maintenance dogs and needed LOTS of exercise, so thank goodness they decided a border collie wasn't the dog for them. I even mentioned that maybe a dog wasn't a good idea with the kids being so young and not having enough time for a dog... But, next thing I knew, they had purchased a labradoodle (because it wouldn't shed). He's now a year and a half old, has not been trained, just got neutered after getting loose numerous times and accosting neighbors (overly friendly, not aggressive) and causing a dog fight with my two girls while out on a walk (he was loose and charged us from a block away - my girls being on leash had no way to get away from him so defended themselves when he jumped on them). When he is out in his yard and I let the girls out, he jumps up against the privacy fence and at 70 lbs. I'm afraid he's going to knock it down. I always take my dogs in the house if he's out. Long story short, they are your neighbors and you should try to avoid antagonizing their dogs. Maybe you should try taking Mozart to different locations to train for distractions.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Wiggles BN, May 18 3:40 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > What are your views on adopting/dealing with shelters?

Abby

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 12:28pm PST 
Both of my dogs are from kill shelters. The dogs in no-kill shelters often come from local shelters and already have their second chance. If no one adopts from the kill shelters, that's more animals that die needlessly. Both of mine were in the adolescent stage (somewhere around 6 months) and had behavior issues, which is probably what got them there in the first place. It requires work, but any dog does. My Aussie mix is now 11 and her "little sister' is 2. I will continue to adopt from shelters, although at my age, I may go for an older, more sedate dog next time...
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Conker, May 4 1:28 pm

Senior Dogs > Should I switch to senior dog food?

Abby

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 12:48pm PST 
I agree. Abby is 11 years old and has never been on senior food. I would suggest a higher quality food and watch the protein levels. I had started to feed Acana, which is an excellent food, but it raised her kidney protein levels too much. I would suggest giving your senior a daily tab of Cosequin - she's been on it since she was 7 and still plays as hard as she used to (just needs to rest a little more often).
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 3 9:19 am

Dog Health > what shampoo do you use and how often do you bathe?
Abby

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '11 12:22pm PST 
Abby has severe contact allergies (allergic to 42 of 80 substances tested for) and I have to be very careful what type of shampoo I use. The only one I've found that doesn't cause itching after bathing (not the result you want) is Kenic Avocado Oil shampoo. I bathe her about every three to four weeks unless we've been in the woods or some other area where she is exposed to a lot of allergens. Her coat is very soft and smells great for several weeks afterward.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Sep 15 3:21 pm

Grooming > Crazy Shedder! FURminator?

Abby

Abby - aka Abby Normal

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 11:20am PST 
The furminator works great - sometimes too good. I had Abby groomed last November and they used a furminator. It took out ALL her undercoat. She looked ratty and spent the entire winter without an undercoat! I would only recommend using it in the summertime...
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Samwise (RB 7-21-2012), Jul 20 11:42 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.