Postings by Lucy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > Names that Sound too Similar
Jessie

Miss- Congeniality &- Adaptable

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '15 8:20pm PST 
It's usually a good idea to change a dog's name when they change homes. Some say it leaves behind any baggage the dog may have. My current two have similar names and wish I would have changed one of them. Jessie & Lucy sounds very similar when spoken loud or fast. I constantly get both dogs coming when I only want one. For example going through a door, I want one to stay and one to come etc. I have to point to them most times to get who I want. My previous dogs had two very different sounding names and we didn't have this issue.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cody (?), Wed 7:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog afraid of cell phones?
Lucy

Life is supposed- to be fun!

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 3:27pm PST 
Without knowing much about her past history, we can only guess. Some breed mixes tend to become sound sensitive. This in not uncommon in BC mixes.
Has she ever been on a e-fence? Many dogs that have been become afraid of sounds as they may be a warning of something that might scare or hurt the dog. Lucy developed a fear of our cell phone battery beep after we had her a couple of years. Initially, she also was afraid of the clicker (That was easily overcome)and our electronic air filter if if zapped.
I'd first rule out hearing issues at the vet, then start a program of counter conditioning to the specific issues is helpful. Having white noise in the background can often be helpful to cover some background or lower level sounds that scare her.
Lucy's thunderstorm phobia was helped by a visit to the chiropractic vet. Not 100% but much improved.
Avoid training that involves correction as sensitive dogs are more sensitive and you may unknowingly give a correction that is too harsh and causes fear instead of learning. Timing is very important in this.
Otherwise, if is helpful to learn dog body language so you can read the more subtle communication before she goes into fear mode. On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugass is a good place to start.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Mon 3:27 pm

Puppy Place > Socializing a puppy

Jessie

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 3:14pm PST 
Here is a great checklist of things that a puppy needs to be exposed to before she turns 12 weeks old if you want her to be a well-rounded bomb proof dog in public and for life.

http://drsophiayin.com/images/uploads/ce/Socialization_Checklist .pdf
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sassy, Wed 9:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Training Gone Wrong

Lucy

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 3:12pm PST 
The best thing you can do is to regain her trust. You do that incrementally. Look into clicker training. While you teach her, you will learn the theory behind training dogs.
Key points are to manage unwanted behavior (don't put her into situations where she can practice the unwanted behavior).
Retrain more desired behaviors. (Give her something specific in a situation)
Then when you have taught the behaviors to a high enough distraction level, start reintroducing her to the trigger environment at a distance.
Look into approaches called systematic desensitization and counter conditioning.
Behavior Adjustment Training with Grisha Stewart is another good one to check out.
In your case since she shut down after punishment, I would highly recommend a trainer that has experience and success using positive reinforcement.

Kikopup has a great channel on youtube to show you what clicker training is about. Facebook also has many great groups for this.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Mon 3:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Really clingy it's getting annoying

Jessie

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 3:04pm PST 
Clingy is common in newly rehomed dogs. it can take some dogs 6 mos or longer to adjust to a new home. If you start to see other behaviors that may indicate he is anxious when left alone (such as barking, scratching, peeing, destroying things) look into 'separation anxiety'. A good positive reinforcement trainer can help you work through it in increments that won't stress the dog out.
Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Odin, Mon 6:15 pm

Behavior & Training > Hard to Predict Around Other Dogs
Lucy

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 3:00pm PST 
Learning dog language is a great start. Check out Turid Rugaas little book "On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals" Most altercations start with much more subtle signs that the dogs use to prevent interactions such as head turns, lip licks, arc approaches etc. These all communicate that one dog may need more space. If the other dog ignores these, everything escalates until one dog will tell the other off.

Usually arousal level (excitement) plays a role in fights like this as well. It's all good until it's not. Kind of like kids playing until they get into a fight. Your job is to supervise and interrupt play periodically so the dogs never get to the level where it breaks into a fight. That will also help him learn how to keep focus on you and respond every time.

If you are on Facebook, you can check out a group called "Observation Skills for Training Dogs"

Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bandit, Mon 3:26 pm

Raw Food Diet > Dog pooping too much

Jessie

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 2:53pm PST 
It's hard to say without more details. How much are you feeding? 2-3% of his ideal body weight. If so, that should be the correct range assuming he is an average level of energy dog. How much fat are you feeding? More can cause him to need to eliminate more frequently.
If he is gaining weight, it means he's getting too much. Too much bone will add volume as it is the form of fibre the raw fed dogs get.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ginger, Mon 4:19 pm

Sports & Agility > Learning Body Awareness for sports

Lucy

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 2:43pm PST 
Do you have a klutsy dog? Need to strengthen various parts of your dog's body? Want to learn those fancy heeling turns in formal obedience? Targeting is the best way to start a dog learning where her body is in space and how to best move it. Results in fast, precise movements. Learn all this and more with your dog in your own living room!
6 week course starts Feb 1, 2015

http://youtu.be/D_3DRIf3dIc
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Mon 2:43 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New online course for SDIT and SD

Jessie

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '15 2:36pm PST 
Looking for improve your dog's ability to retrieve? Here's an online course that starts Feb 1. Is your dog grabby with no finnesse? Do you want her to be able to pick up small and delicate objects? Ideal indoor training for this time of year! Learn this and much more. Check out the video. more course info at the posted link. Copy and paste in your browser.

http://youtu.be/cHRjcvEqptA

Instructor has much experience working with people with disabilities and their SDit. (Service Dog in Training)
http://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/16 97

Have fun!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jessie, Mon 2:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Learning Dog Language
Jessie

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 8:07pm PST 
There are more and more resources for learning how to read your dog's body language. They communicate all the time.
Here's a few:
Dog I-box www.dog-ibox.com
has two webinars to teach you how to observe dogs
Fenzi Dog Sports Academy www fenzidogsportsacademy.com
has several online courses"
Dog as a Second Language
Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT)
There is even a course to teach you how to read and help destress your dog in the ring.

What others do you know about?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jessie, Mar 30 8:07 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.