Postings by Maluko, RAE, AX, AXJ, NF, NW1,'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Sports & Agility > Barn Hunt Senior Level Qs and High in Trial Senior
MACH Koji BN- RAE MXB MJS- MXF T

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 8:00pm PST 
Video of Koji's Barn Hunt Senior (RATS) title run on Saturday Trial 1. High in Trial Senior dog.

Koji located 4 live rat tubes (8 tubes total on course with 4 rat tubes, 3 bedding tubes and 1 empty tube), completed the required "climb" and "tunnel" in about 1 minute and 4x seconds (time limit is 3.5 minutes).

Koji is the first Shiba that earned a Barn Hunt Senior (RATS) title and he has a blast doing it!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 16 2:58 pm

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 10:18am PST 
Koji finished his Barn Hunt Senior (RATS) title with a High in Trial Senior award on Saturday morning (12/7/2013). There were 4 trials over 2 days this past weekend, but Master level was only offered at the Sunday PM trial, so we stayed in Senior for Saturday PM and Sunday AM trial and Koji got a Q in both.

Master was challenging as you do not know how many live rat tubes are out there (between 1-5 rat tubes) and you have to call "finished" or "clear" when you believe all rat tubes are found. We did not get a Q in our first Master attempt, but the Koji boy sure had fun!

Shiba Inu Koji posing with his High Senior ribbon
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 16 2:58 pm

Shiba Inu > Shiba Inu Koji's first Barn Hunt Senior level run and High in Trial

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 12:59pm PST 
Koji's first attempt at the Senior Level trialing at the North Texas Barn Hunt group event on Nov 24, 2013. He was the only Senior dog at the trial, got the Q, 1st place and High in Trial Senior. He also got his 2nd Senior leg in the afternoon trial, 1st place and also High in Trial Senior.

The wind was blowing and we had sleets and freezing rain, neither of which seemed to bother Koji's enthusiasm for rats. He had a blast locating all 4 rats (8 tubes on course, with 4 live rats, 3 litters and 1 empty tube).

Shiba Inu Koji's first Barn Hunt Senior run
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tetsuya, Jan 20 10:31 pm

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 12:49pm PST 
Koji's first attempt at the Senior Level trialing at the North Texas Barn Hunt group event on Nov 24, 2013. He was the only Senior dog at the trial, got the Q, 1st place and High in Trial Senior. He also got his 2nd Senior leg in the afternoon trial, 1st place and also High in Trial Senior.

The wind was blowing and we had sleets and freezing rain, neither of which seemed to bother Koji's enthusiasm for rats. He had a blast locating all 4 rats (8 tubes on course, with 4 live rats, 3 litters and 1 empty tube).

Shiba Inu Koji's first Barn Hunt Senior run
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 16 2:58 pm

Sports & Agility > MACH Shiba

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 10:28am PST 
Koji (MACH San Jo Kumi Rock N Roll Banjo Boy RAE, CAA, T2B, MXB, MJB, XF, NW2, RATI, RATN) got his Master Agility Champion (MACH) title at the Evergreen Golden Retriever Club trial on Saturday, June 15, in Auburn, WA. To date, there are only 8 Shibas with a MACH title.

I accidentally got hurt in the first run of the day running a friend's dog. The dog crashed into me in Excellent FAST run because of a poor handling choice on my part and knocked me down to the ground, resulting in a swollen ankle. I ran Koji in Master FAST 6 dogs after the incident, limping and was able to get a Q and 1st place. I was hopping on one leg at the end of the run and knew that there was no way I could have run Koji in the remaining 2 runs (Master Standard and Master Jumper with Weaves) that day. I asked a fellow Agility classmate to run Koji for me in Master Standard and they ran nicely together, earning enough points to get his Agility Champion title.

It has been an amazing journey to go from Novice A (Koji is my first Agility dog) to MACH in just under a year's time. I believe he is also the youngest Shiba that earned his Master Agility Champion (MACH) title in the US (Koji just turned 3 years old in March), probably also the fastest in time (less than a year)!

Koji was rehomed and came to me at 9 month old. As a new dog owner (never had a dog in my life until August 2010), I learned with my 2 Shibas and it has proven to be a wonderful journey together.

On a side note, Koji earned his Nosework Level 2 (NW2) title on June 30, 2013 and is the first NW2 Shiba. Koji is also the first Shiba with a Barn Hunt Novice (RATN) title.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 2:30 am

Sports & Agility > Barn Hunt

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 1:20pm PST 
Just came back from a two day Barn Hunt event. Day 1 is Clinics, where dogs were introduced to rats in a cage, then rats in a tube and ended with quick runs of Instinct test.

This was the first time my two Shibas ever saw a rat.

Koji caught on right away and realized the rats were prey. He nailed the instinct tests in the 3 runs we did. We went from a little bit over 30 seconds in our first run to 8 seconds of our 3rd run. I think he located the rat very fast all three times, but it took me a while to learn how to read and trust his nose to call a definite "alert" or "mark".

Maluko was curious about the rats, but cautious. She was not too keen on a rat in a tube, so I decided to pull her out of the fun test on Day 2 and added more runs for Koji instead. I am sure I can train her to do Barn Hunt, but I will need access to the rats for training purposes.

Day 2 are fun tests - they offered Instincts Test, Novice and Open level runs. Since Koji did so well in Instincts Test on Day 1, I decided to start him in Novice and if he passed Novice, we would try Open.

Koji passed Novice with ease. Not only did he got 1st place in Novice medium dogs, he also got the Fastest Novice Dog ribbon across all 3 sizes (small, medium and large). We had 2 open runs - he passed the first run with a 2nd placement among medium dogs. For the 2nd open run, I messed him up and called an false alert on the second rat while he was investigating, but he did find rat #2 later in the search.

Here are some of my observations and thoughts to share with others who are interested in Barn Hunt.

1. Try to figure it out early on if your dog is excited about the live rat, just the rat smell (there is a tube with rat beddings) or the empty tube (some dogs think the tube is a toy and get mouthy and excited by it). Note the differences in their reactions to all three types will help you better read your dog beyond Instincts test.

2. It takes some learning on the human's part to read their dogs when they locate the rats. I saw several handler not trusting their dogs' noses and insisted that the dogs check out other tubes even when the dog was indicating very strongly on a tube. (beyond instincts tests, the tubes were spread out and usually hidden from plain sights). It confused the dog to be called away from the live rat and some just lost interests after that.

3. In addition to locating all live rats (# of live rats depend on the levels), the dog also needs to do a climb (all 4 paws on a bale) and go through a tunnel. Many handlers try to get the dogs to complete the climb and the tunnel in the beginning or while the dog is still busy searching for the rats. It is confusing for the dog and not very effective for the rat search. I would suggest getting the dogs focused on finding the live rats first and if in the search process, the dog completes the climb or tunnel, then all is fine. If not, just direct the dog to do those tasks after the find.

4. Many handlers kept talking to their dogs while the dogs were actively searching. It can be distracting to the dog to focus on the task at hand. I was quiet after I released Koji from the start box and focused on watching him search, his changes in behaviors and made a mental note of where he had covered. I only talked to him if he seemed stuck and wanted to instruct him to check out some other areas. If you constantly talked while your dog was searching, not only you would distract the dog from the search, you may also not pick up some subtle changes in their behaviors.

It's great to have done Nosework with my two Shibas, so I am more experienced in working with them in a search and my ability to read my dogs. With Nosework, when Koji finds a hide, he would try to put his nose on the odor and then look up at me for the reward. I notice that with Barn Hunt, the rewards for him is the rats, so he does not look up. He is dead set on getting the rats.

If you can find a Barn Hunt fun tests or trials in your area, I would strongly suggest you check it out. It is fun for the Shibas and no rats are hurt in the process.

More info on barn hunt can be found here, http://barnhunt.com/
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Abbey, Feb 15 11:40 am

Sports & Agility > Shiba Boy Koji Did It Again

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:18am PST 
Koji got his Nosework Level 1 (NW1) title on Sunday. This is his 2nd attempt at NW1 and hurray to his silly human who held up her end of the bargain this time. He also got "Pronounced" designations in 3 of the 4 elements search.

Maluko got to trial at NW2 for the first time. She got 6 out of 8 hides across 4 elements. The interior hides that we didn't get was very close and it was my fault to call it prematurely before she pinpointed the final location.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by MACH Koji BN RAE MXB MJS MXF T, Jan 24 8:18 am

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:29am PST 
Oh, and forget to brag about his QQ #6 at the Evergreen Afghan Hound Club Trial over the weekend, in addition to getting his Rally Advanced Excellent (RAE) title. He is officially retired from Rally and can focus on Agility, Coursing and Nosework now. dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MACH Koji BN RAE MXB MJS MXF T, Jan 24 8:18 am

Sports & Agility > We got our first Q!

Maluko, RAE,- AX, AXJ, NF,- NW1,

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:26am PST 
Congrats on the first Q. I still remember how surreal it felt when we got our first! It will just be the start of many more to come! applause
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Jan 24 10:53 am

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:20am PST 
@Nare

We train with Blynn Baker in Buckley. (you can find her contact info along with many other trainers in the area here, http://r2agility.com/links.htm#Seattle%20Instructors)

Blynn is a great instructor. We started our foundation training with her when she taught at It's a Dog's World in Sumner and followed her after she left there.

I know SpotOn Agility, but never take lessons there. We occasionally go there for practice (it is indoors and heated, and you can rent the space when there is no class). Because of the space limit (it's much smaller than what you will see at a trial or other places we train), the course designs there have their limitations.

We trained with several instructors in the area and my criteria for choosing an instructor is first and foremost - expertise in the sports: knowledge and willingness to learn about new training/handling approaches, actively competing in the sports, how well they run their own dogs (not just qualifications, but see how the team work together - are they smooth and connected in the ring vs. choppy with a lot of band-aids?, how much they care about their students and their success and how well they can communicate their knowledge to you without being condescending.

Have you started trialing with Nare yet? If not, go to a trial and observe teams at different levels competing and talk to people to get a sense of which instructor they train with and how they like them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by MACH Koji BN RAE MXB MJS MXF T, Jan 24 8:18 am

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.