Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Puppy Place > New pup saying Hello!
Mellow

Yellow Marsh- Mellow

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '14 12:25pm PST 
Hello!!! New pup here. His name is Mellow and he's an 8 week old Golden Retriever pup. He came from the same breed as our 3 year old Golden. Just saying Hi wave Also mom here is thinking of becoming a Groomer, if anyone knows anything about that, please answer my post under the 'Grooming' section. Thanks !!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mon 6:09 am

Grooming > Thinking of becoming a Groomer
Mayhem

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '14 12:10pm PST 
Anyone have any advice on this?
I'm thinking of becoming a groomer through ABC - Animal Behavior College. It' a year of schooling, half online and through books and DVD's and the other half hands on with a groomer in my area to become a certified groomer. I have no prior experience beyond my own dogs and family, I am a stay-at-home mom. My kids will be going to school full day starting this fall and I want to be busy doing something and have a skill if I ever should need to work outside my home. Obviously I am also a dog lover. I'm only interested in part time right now so I'm thinking of starting as a bather or groomer assistant this fall at a Petco and if a few months in I can see myself in that environment I will enroll in this school, continue as a bather/assistant and then the following year become a Groomer. I'm not sure if Petco is where I would ultimately like to end up but I'm thinking it may be a good start to get my foot in the door. Any advice or thoughts?? I should not enroll in the certification program until I am a bather or assistant for a while, correct??
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Tue 2:23 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Multiples of the same breed

Mayhem

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 6:50am PST 
Thanks everyone! I'll make sure the breeder knows exactly what I'm looking for so my pups are a good match. Like I said, Mayhem I think is pretty typical of the breed and I think a pup with a similar temperament would be the best so I'm really just looking for a typical male pup within the litter. I have first pick of the males already so I know the breeder will choose the best one for me. That is, counting on that there will be males in the litter! Mayhem came from a litter of only 2 and was the only female. shock
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 6:50 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Almost time! I'd love some suggestions!

Mayhem

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 6:32am PST 
How about.... A Golden?wave

They love to be outdoors, great in the snow cold, worship the water, perfect camping/hiking companion. Excell at obedience, as biddable as you can get. Playful and energetic as they are puppies for their first few years and some never grow up. Typically get along with everyone, both people and other dogs. The only thing you mentioned that they don't have much of is an independent mind. They are shadow dogs, just want to be with you and do what you want to do. My golden is wonderful off leash. We go to a relatives house in the country where there are no fences and I let her right out of the truck, she never wanders. Also had my other dog get out of our fence once and Mayhem instead of following never left the yard. Consider that with Hounds (both scent and sight) that can be more of a problem if you are looking for a good off leash dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 3:38 pm

Mayhem

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 9:24am PST 
Thanks for the insight. I am planning on getting a male pup so that should only make things easier. Mayhem gets along well with dogs of all temperaments but I think a pup similar to her would make her the happiest. She is middle of the road when it comes to dominance. She's gentle with submissive dogs and respectful (but confident) with dominate ones. She is a BALL of ENERGY though and I think would do best with a pup she can romp and wrestle with. I think any dog too laid back she will annoy. She was best friends with my senior Doberman who passed away a few months ago. Despite his age he was very playful. Mayhem is pretty typical of a young golden and is a bit immature yet so I think she'll really do well with a new energetic pup.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 6:50 am

Puppy Place > My 4-week old husky pups smell & feel disgusting. Bathing suggestions?
Mayhem

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 7:31pm PST 
I've always used Johnson & Johnson head to toe baby wash. It's not 'soap' at all so it doesn't dry skin and is tear free. It also suds nice and is a whole lot cheaper than most dog shampoos. I used it on my dog when she was a pup and it's the only stuff I use on her now as an adult too. I bath her sometimes often so I like something that I know won't dry her skin or harsh enough to strip her natural oils out. Good luck with the pups!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 7:31 pm

Mayhem

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:53am PST 
I have an almost 2 year old Golden and am thinking of getting a younger half sibling of hers this summer. What are the pros and cons of getting more than one of the same breed or siblings? Are there any special concerns that I should have? I figured they would be compatible in size, temperament and they will likely enjoy all the same things (like going in the water). Are there any reasons NOT to get 2 of the same? Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 6:50 am

Dog Health > Changing nose color?

Mayhem

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 3:52pm PST 
Thanks guys, I'm not at all worried smile Was just wondering if anyone knew what actually CAUSES the color change. Whether it was from the cold itself or the season. Like if I kept her in a warm heated room 24/7 during the winter while it snowed outside, would the color still change? Just curious!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 24 11:25 pm

Puppy Place > What is the strangest breed you've been mistaken for?

Mayhem

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 3:45pm PST 
My pure bred Golden Retriever has so far been mistaken for a:

Lab
Great Pyrenees mix
'Long haired' Lab ?????

She also gets mistaken all the time for being a male and once an 'older dog' when she was 10 months old naughty
[notify]
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 9:21 pm

Dog Health > Changing nose color?
Mayhem

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:18am PST 
I had no idea which forum to put this under. My Goldens nose color goes from almost black to mostly pink in the winter time and then back to black for the summer. What causes this, the cold itself or the time of year? Someone told me when she was a pup that feeding them in stainless steel bowls instead of plasic keeps their nose black but she's always been fed on stainless (not that I believed that would do ANYTHING anyway). Plus her mother has the same nose so it's obvious genetics factor in. Just curious though exactly what causes the change during the winter months?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 11:25 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.