Postings by Fox's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 470: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Blue Buffalo
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon May 25, '15 2:22pm PST 
They absolutely do food trials. You cannot sell an AAFCO approved, "complete and balanced" pet food without doing food trials. They may be done to the lowest standard possible, which is the basic 6 month life stage-based test AAFCO requires, but they aren't just shoving whatever junk in a bag and tossing it on the store shelves to see what happens.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, May 25 2:22 pm

Siberian Husky > How do I train my dog to not run off at the dog beach?
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue May 12, '15 8:18pm PST 
You can look at resources like Leslie Nelsons Really Reliable Recall.

Ultimately, though, this is what you signed on for. Huskies have been bred to run as far as possible as fast as possible, overriding human command as needed. No reputable breed resources recommend ever letting Huskies off leash. Some individuals will find they can do it, but they are the exception, not the rule.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, May 12 8:18 pm

Food & Nutrition > Grain free dog food craze

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Apr 28, '15 9:09am PST 
Grain free is such a trend right now that it's difficult to find a quality food that does include grain. Even the shoddier brands are jumping on the grain free wagon.

While dogs don't need grain, they don't need potato, tapioca, pea fiber, or whatever else either. The catch is kibble does need these types of filler. My go-to analogy is that it's like making chocolate chip cookies. You need some kind of binder, whether it's wheat flour, rice flour, chick pea flour, or something else, or it's not going to be a cookie. Otherwise you'll have a melted pile of chocolate, butter, and burnt sugar - which may be delicious - but it's not a cookie.

So it becomes about minimizing the impact of the things dogs don't need. Look for foods that have a high meatflowersiller ratio. There are grain free foods out there that are all pea flour with a little chicken meal, fat and vitamins. They're no good. Similarly, what is the replacement for grain? Is it a quality filler, or starchy, empty calorie potato trimmings from the floor of a french fry plant? I'd put my dogs on a food with something like quinoa and whole grain barley in a second if the alternative was something loke a potato and beet fiber food.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Apr 28 9:09 am

Food & Nutrition > Gassy pups on Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

Fox

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '15 7:56am PST 
big laugh

Blue has more fiber than SD!!

big laughbig laugh

Ok, hang on...

silenced

Ok.

So it sounds like over feeding is likely the culprit here. But I will mention that Fox did horribly on Blue. I know it's an extremely popular food, and it's far from the worst, but frankly it's reputation is undeserved. If you're still having trouble after cutting back portions, I'd switch to chicken and rice for a few days to let their stomachs settle, then try another food. I would go with a good mid-range food, as the super high end stuff like Orijen tends to be too rich for dogs prone to stomach upset. A Fromm Gold or Classic, or something.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Molly, Jun 10 8:44 pm

Raw Food Diet > Are there any mods left on this website?

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '15 7:42am PST 
I'm so happy to see that MOST people are smart enough not to be snowed by someone spewing nonsense and credentials. It does get overwhelming when that's the only thing presented.

I'm ecstatic to see these posters have apparently been blocked?!
party

I do still lurk, but more often than not there is a problem with the website that stops me from getting in. It doesn't load correctly, doesn't load at all, the stupid Iams ad blocks the entire screen and stops loading before the X shows up. Stupid stuff.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Koby, Apr 12 3:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > Bloody stool on raw - please help!
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '15 12:11am PST 
I get the impression this was bloody diarrhea, but I'm gonna ask for confirmation anyway. What kind of bloody stool was this? Hard crumbly with bright red blood? Soft with bright red blood? Regular with black tarry blood? Projectile diarrhea mixed with blood? Regular stool with bloody mucus? Just blood?

It's gross but it matters.

In any case, typically small amounts of bright red blood are "just" irritation and pass quickly. I'd definitely go back to pork for a bit, if she was doing ok on that, and try to introduce a new protien later. If she turns out to be really sensitive it may be helpful to do a slow transition to new proteins, adding just a few bites to her normal meals at first.

Also, check your chicken to make sure its not "enhanced" with broth solution. Cheap chicken often has it, and it's notorious for causing upset stomach. Not immediately toxic, but the sodium content can be problematic long term.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Feb 17 12:11 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Home Cooking Books, Links, Consultants for Senior Dog with Heart Murmur

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '15 9:12am PST 
Huh. Well, Vermont Veterinary Cardiology Services, in conjunction with Tufts really disagrees with you there, Jasper. On sodium levels, protien and the recommendation of H/D.

Kibble IS supplements. It's your basic ingredients for protien and fat so forth, and everything else is supplemented in. Claiming otherwise is asinine. Especially when it comes to things as fragile as taurine, which is so easily destroyed by cooking. The best sources of taurine are raw meats, especially raw hearts. That's why so many cats died when kibble first arrived on the scene.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 7 11:22 am

Raw Food Diet > Protein Rotation

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jan 18, '15 5:44pm PST 
Theres balance over time, but it's with reason. That's why it's a little tough to respond to the OP. We don't know what your 10# batches entail. If you've got some kind of premade raw food mix, it's probably fine as long you rotate poultry and red meat batches. If you've got 10# of chicken backs and then 10# of boneless beef trim with liver... Yeah, it's balanced, but it's going to destroy your dog's GI tracts to eat it that way.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Abby, Jan 25 6:48 pm

Raw Food Diet > Protein Rotation

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '15 8:37pm PST 
There's nothing wrong with feeding down a round of food at a time, if the bone balance is correct. The reason my meals often include 2 or 3 proteins at once is because the vast majority of my bone content comes from turkey, with some being pork or beef ribs. I can also occasionally get ground boneless turkey at a decent price. I've got different amounts of each thing, which all need to be fed in different ratios anyway, so even if I did start with all turkey or all beef I'd pretty quickly be out of bone-in or meaty meat and have to start on something else. Then you get overlap where you run out of one thing and bring out the next...

Plus the fish I feed are flash frozen individually, so I never even thaw them. I just keep them in the freezer and grab one for each dog every couple of days for the O3s and vit E.

If you do want or need to rotate proteins more frequently, I'd just semi-thaw your batches, split them up and throw what you don't need back in the freezer.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Abby, Jan 25 6:48 pm

Raw Food Diet > What did your dog(s) have to eat today?
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '15 9:37am PST 
My dogs would very much like to have fetal calves!

That was my first exposure to raw feeding, actually. In Woodsong, Paulsen finds his working dogs can't digest kibble properly and switches to a coarse grind of fetal calves.

Yesterday was meaty pork with a bit of chicken, and whole mackerel and sardines (transitionary day - I ran out of both pork and mackerel).

Today, we're back on a Bravo turkey blend kick, so 4oz AM, 4oz PM with 4oz of chicken.

Veggie puree is currently raw spinach, green beans and berry mix. Been supplementing zinc because beef is hard to come by at the moment and my breed is prone to zinc deficiency.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 10:22 am

(Page 1 of 470: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.