Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Behavior & Training > Training to hold/carry things
Trig

Barked: Sat Mar 1, '14 8:22pm PST 
This might sound silly, but I really want Trig to learn two different tricks that revolve around similar concepts, and I want to make sure he can learn both well. The first, which is definitely the silliest, is to pick up a sock or something if I drop it when I carry the laundry to the garage. Basically, I want to be able to tell him to pick something up when I point to it. Training for this has been going well. He will pick a toy up when I gently toss it, and we are working on branching out into different toys and tossing it longer distances. I figure starting with fetch is the way to go since fetch is also a great way to drain some of his young energy.
The next thing involves holding something in his mouth until I tell him otherwise. I want to do a family Christmas card this year with him holding something (I don't know what yet, maybe a bone, maybe a sign that says "Noel").

The hardest thing I have ran into is that he will bring the toy back and drop it immediately at my feet. That is fine for fetch, considering I will have to bend over to get it anyway because of his size, and how much we struggled with just getting him to pick it up in the beginning. How can I encourage him to hold something in his mouth? Should I simply hand it to him and "click" when he first takes it, and then build up from there? That is what my instinct tells me to do, but I haven't ever taught something like this.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 2 3:43 pm

Dog Health > Teeth Discoloration
Ember

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 4:31pm PST 
I am very familiar with how terrible small dog teeth can get, which is why I switched them to raw. Daisy has some plaque on her teeth, which I assume is from when she ate kibble. Not a big deal, she will get a dental, and the good news is that her teeth (and gums) have actually improved in the year she has been on raw. My question is about my other dog, Ember. All of her teeth are perfectly pearly white (I'm jealous!) except for her two upper canines. They have no plaque, but they are slightly discolored near the gum (a light brown, doesn't scrape off with my fingernail or look raised at all). She has been on raw since I got her last December, but while living with my parents over the summer she got kibble on a somewhat regular basis for about 3 months. She also had retained baby canines until about April of this year that sat against the adult teeth Should I attest the discoloration to the kibble or retained teeth, or should I start brushing her teeth weekly or so? Like I said, her other teeth look flawless.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 16 4:31 pm

Raw Food Diet > Obsessed with raw, Help!

Trig

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 9:15pm PST 
Thank you for the link Maxwell! In the future, once I have a job, I would love to add maybe 5-10 lbs of beef cheek meat. I would have to buy that by the case, and thus need a spare freezer. If I could add 10 lbs of beef though, I would not have to remove any of the bones (I currently remove all the leg bones from a 10 lb bag of chicken, which leaves me with about 20% bone), as I think the ratios would work out nicely. Let me try to figure them out:

30% bone for chicken leg quarters, plus 10 lbs of pork and other 10 lbs of beef. Assume there is 7 lbs of meat for the chicken if there are 3 lbs of bone (70% meat to 30% bone).

3 lbs is 11% of 27 lbs, which is darn close enough to 10% if my math is right.

Future plans aside though, could I add Zinc as a supplement for now? Zinpro looks like a possibility, and it also has vitamin E. Though I worry that maybe some of the other ingredients are unnecessary (Biotin, Garlic, Brewers Yeast). Zinc Methionine seems to be the easiest form to absorb, but Zinc-Gluconate has lower cadmium. Obviously I need to be extremely careful about overdosing the Zinc too.
Looking at all the benefits, I think I might need to be on a Zinc supplement! My skin has always been terrible (acne, eczema).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 15 9:15 pm

Trig

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 2:35pm PST 
The mix ended up being about:

5 lbs chicken thighs (bones/skin)
6 lbs pork rump (no bones from this, just meat and some fat)
1 lb of chicken/beef liver AND beef kidney

I also have some beef heart I can add.

In the future, I am hoping to make a mix more like this:

10 lbs of chicken leg quarters, some skin and bone removed (the bones are ground, as is some meat)

10+ lbs of pork rump

1.5 lbs of chicken/beef liver (or just beef liver for copper?)

0.5 lbs of beef kidney

Maybe like 1-2 lbs of beef heart? I have like a pound of powdered taurine now that will last me for a while, so I'm not worried about the cat getting enough of that (it is added to the mix, and he also gets some extra added to make sure it hasn't degraded during freezing, though I study I read said that shouldn't be a problem). I also am cubing a lot more of the meat than I used to because the cat doesn't mind chunks, so there is less taurine lost from the meat being ground as well. I can dole out the beef heart among multiple mixes like I do the kidney if needs to be in smaller amounts.

Also, I will still add the B Complex, E, and Fish Oil.

I can't seem to find the site that lets you plug in values so I can see what I might be missing here.

Thank you for your help and suggestions! I have some gift cards to Barnes and Noble, so I will have to see if they have the book there!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 15 9:15 pm

Trig

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 9:57pm PST 
My two other dogs are on raw, as is my cat. I feed raw mostly for dental health reasons, as there was an accident one time when one of them was under for a teeth cleaning that resulted in the death of my first precious Chihuahua. I was planning on starting Trig on raw after he was a year old (March, 2014). That way he would be mostly done growing, so if my ratios are not perfect I won't mess him up severely. Also, hopefully I will have a job and thus able to afford another dog on raw. Recently though, Trig got a taste for some of the raw food thanks to the cat dropping some chunks on the floor. Since then, he is obsessed with getting some of the raw food. He eats less of his own dinner (a mix of kibble and canned), and rushes out to lick the bowls of the other dogs. Then, after he has licked the already empty bowls a few times, he goes and sits under the cat's food tree, or on the couch and just stares at the cat eating. I don't think I can hold out until March...

The mix is mostly chicken and pork, with some beef liver(also chicken), kidney, and sometimes heart. Sometimes I get a good deal on some beef, but that isn't a regular thing at the moment (once I can get a freezer I plan on ordering a case of beef cheek meat!). I add fish oil, taurine, B complex, E, and sometimes Morton's Lite salt for iodine. It is based on the recipe found on catinfo.org, but with more chunks of meat, and obviously I try to mix in things other than chicken. The bones are ground, but everything else is cut into chunks. I grind the bones for the cat, but also because Daisy needs bones consistently to maintain normal stools, and with her size it just makes it super simple if I can add a little bone every day instead of trying to source bones small enough to not make her super constipated. I'm thinking my mix might be weak in omegas because of the lack of beef. Would eggs help, or is beef a requirement for balanced raw? If I feel like I can balance it better, I would love to start him on raw in January instead.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 15 9:15 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Help me help this dog please(I need tips!)
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 4:35pm PST 
That's awesome Yoshi!
Hiccup, I wish upon wish that there was some place to lure this dog into. When I say this campus is in the middle of nowhere, I mean there is literally miles of just open grassy land around it. The campus itself is still quite new and there is also a lot of stuff under construction still, making following it quite difficult (and the sport of choice is currently soccer!). Not to mention that the campus itself is huge, but it tends to stay near the edges of campus. We haven't spotted it for a few days (also, weekend), but we are going to start putting out a small pile of kibble in one location every day in hopes that we will at least start seeing it on a regular basis. If we have that then I feel like I will be able to get him/her, whether that means little kids, traps, or nets.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 4:35 pm

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Thu Oct 10, '13 10:37am PST 
Rescues around here, are, well, they do good things for their animals, but they are not much help. We are kind of in the middle of nowhere to boot, so it's hard. The culture here is so different than back home, I see stray dogs everywhere, people just keep their dogs in the backyard, etc. It really is just about getting the little bugger close enough for me to catch. I have caught many a dog before, often with my belt if I don't have a leash on hand (but I do for this since I am going in prepared, yay!). Animal control, university police, and many students have tried to catch this dog, but I feel like they aren't really trying (and for the students, what would they even do with it?). I am getting a trap delivered on Friday or Saturday, but I am not sure how much help it would be. See, I can't just go and set up traps on university property, and I also am not going to leave a borrowed $60+ trap just out, so I would have to sit and watch it for a few hours while there, and I just don't know if the dog would even go in it. But I will try, as it is a good back-up option.
Maybe I could lure it with peanutbutter on a stick? I told my boyfriend that we should start just regularly feeding it at a certain spot so we could at least find it and maybe build its confidence. I know that time is the enemy, especially with winter coming.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 4:35 pm

Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 5:51pm PST 
At a local college campus there is a small dog that has been running loose for a few weeks to a few months. We have a lot of wildlife around here, I don't know how it has survived so long. Anyways, I'm currently unemployed and thus have time to kill trying to catch this dog. It lets people feed it, does not like other dogs (I tried that today and it bolted), and otherwise doesn't let people get too close. I feel like I could catch it if it would take food from me, as I have done so with skittish dogs many times before. Any tips on what I should offer? I brought a can of wet dog food, but it wouldn't get close enough to even smell it, though I also think it was in pure run mode at that point because it was so afraid of Daisy (no, I obviously won't be taking her back with me) and all the other people chasing it. If I hadn't lost it, I think I would have made progress during the down time between classes when all the well intentioned but overbearing people are inside. I would really like to get this dog off the streets and into a home, and can easily foster it if I catch it. It's just a matter of getting it into safe arms.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 4:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Why is my dog afraid of her clothes?

Ember

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 1:40pm PST 
Also, make sure the clothes are super comfy. Stick your arm in a sweater and make sure there are no tags that are rubbing, or sharp seams. Wash them too to make them softer (just make sure all the soap comes out!). I don't want to humanize here, but pretend you are dressing a baby. She doesn't really have an option on what she wears, so make sure it is as soft and comfortable as possible! Sometimes the knitted sweaters can be itchy, so try a soft cotton t-shirt. Fleece is also nice, but be careful if there is velcro, as that can be itchy or sharp on the skin. Also, velcro noises really scare some dogs, so you might want to avoid them until she is more comfortable. Little Ember here is ALWAYS cold, and her favorite clothes are soft cotton t-shirts that are a little oversized so they are loose and comfy.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 9 2:57 pm

Raw Food Diet > Question on Fasting a Small Dog
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 10:25pm PST 
Yes, when Daisy was little she got hypoglycemic too and that was very scary. I have been feeding raw for about a year and a half now and never fast with my tiny dogs (I also don't have any big ones, haha). Despite their meals being raw, I still feed them at about the same time every day, and they are otherwise treated the same as if they were on any other diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 1:15 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.