GO!

(Page 1 of 50: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Royal Canin?
Baby

The Beast

Barked: Sun Nov 24, '13 1:50am PST 
Thanks for the response.

Yeah, as soon as she fully transitioned over to it, the poop eating stopped. Every other food she has been on she has always eaten poop, I'm not sure why this one made her stop. She does seem a lot more satisfied even though she is eating the same amount of food though. She has been very happy, except for not getting to go on walks. She has definitely been losing weight, she is starting to get a waist again. Nothing out of the ordinary like goopy ears,eyes,etc.

I agree this food is a much needed crutch right now due to the situation she's in, and it is helping and she likes it. Hopefully she will make it down to 15 lbs soon.

Over a month later we still have a bit left, but bought another bag last week since we were running low. So it's not too bad.

Even when she does get down to her ideal weight and her back heals, would this be a good food to keep her on so she can maintain a good weight and stay satisfied?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Noah, Nov 28 9:34 am

Food & Nutrition > Royal Canin?
Baby

The Beast

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 8:45pm PST 
Last month we had to bring Baby to the vet because we were suspecting she was having back issues. Turns out we were right, and she has been on strict rest since then. While we were there the vet said she should weigh about 15lbs, and she weighed in at 21. The vet recommended their Royal Canin Satiety support, my mom wanted to buy it so I figured we could try it.

One month later you can tell she has been doing a lot better, and she has lost weight. She also hasn't been eating poop anymore either. She gets 1 cup per day.

Before she was on Natures Domain, she did good on it, but eating anything less than a cup per day had her running around acting like she was starving and eating poop, even with a full cup per day she still ate poop.

Do you think that this is a good food for her to stay on? Or should we leave her on it until she loses all of her weight or something? Especially now that her exercise is limited.

Thanks for your input.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Noah, Nov 28 9:34 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The Wisdom Panel DNA Results...

Snoopy

Little Dude

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 12:34pm PST 
Snoopy's results came back as a Dachshund crossed with a Cocker Spaniel, which does seem really accurate, but I also know that a lot of other dogsters have had whacky results.

I was looking at Rigby's pictures. Just based on the results, I could possibly see GSD/Husky X GSD Beagle maybe with some Sheltie thrown in somewhere.... the beagle could explain the ticking and size? BUT I could also buy, BC, ACD, Kelpie, etc.

A few different breed mixes could probably create a dog that looks similar Kelpie Mix right? Even the black and tan Husky GSD mixes can look "similar" to black and tan Kelpies, but heavier built with longer/fluffier fur. So if you cross that with a lighter breed/mix with shorter fur you could get a little Kelpie looking Rigby? laugh out loud As far as temperament goes though... shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rigby , Nov 5 4:42 am

Senior Dogs > One last journey

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 11:47am PST 
hug
[notify]
» There has since been 82 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Feb 4 11:34 am

Behavior & Training > More random attacks

Moe Jr.

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 10:15pm PST 
Quick Update: No weirdness at all yesterday or today, no hard staring or anything. Snoopy and Moe have both been playing together again which is good. I was starting to get worried because from the day I had posted this they hadn't played at all and Moe had been trying to pick fights.

I think the lack of exercise he's been getting lately could be a contributing factor. With everything going on his walks haven't been as frequent. I took him running this time, then brought him to the park where he got to explore and do more running, then walked for the last 30 minutes or so. He was also charged and barked at by a small stray dog, he did nothing but wagged his tail and when the dog calmed down and approached Moe tried to play. I think that more intense exercise session helped ease his intensity and moodiness. He is behaving a lot better around the house today and seems a lot more cheerful. I am not going to let my guard down though.

Thank you Sabi,

At feeding time Moe goes in the garage to eat behind two closed doors, but it isn't just "his" food he gets protective of. If we are eating in the living room or on a bed and all the dogs around he will also try to guard our food from them on occasion. We can eat food in the kitchen without any issues. So whenever we are eating in the living room, we put Moe or all four dogs out back and we can watch them through the window. Unless he is calm and asleep then they go outside.

All four dogs can play together fine, when they are playing Moe is always happy to join, and Chewy keeps him in line. Whenever we cannot supervise them Moe does go in his crate with his toys or in another room. He has a very lazy side so once you put him in a crate or room he goes right to sleep. I think what caused the him to go after Snoopy after the morning walk was the anxiety and excitement, plus all of his energy wasn't let out from the walk.

I'm going to have my brother start walking Snoopy with me while I walk Moe. We have walked them together in the past without issues and hopefully we don't have any now or in the future.

Should he be "punished" when he picks out fights? With a time out in the bathroom or something?

I do realize that with training things should be positively reinforced and I would never do things negatively with any of my dogs. But I also don't think picking fights shouldn't just be ignored, and he should be shown that there will be consequences when he attacks another house mate and it will not be tolerated.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nare, Aug 5 11:21 pm

Moe Jr.

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 12:49pm PST 
Thank you Tyler. I have noticed he tends to look a bit nervous when he is crowded in the hallway or small spaces with the other dogs. I try to get him out of there as fast as I can, he hasn't gotten aggressive in those situations, but he does get uncomfortable.

Lenny- I really think he could get into Nosework and enjoy it. He does have that Basset Hound sense of smell, but he is also very reliable off leash surprisingly. I do know a guy who I was originally going to take Chewy to who does Shcutzhund, but with everything going on we haven't been able to go. Maybe that could be something fun for Moe. Even if he isn't a good candidate for bite work he could still do obedience and tracking.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nare, Aug 5 11:21 pm

Moe Jr.

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 2:58pm PST 
Lenny- Thank you for your response. The counter conditioning does sound like it could potentially help him see Snoopy in a better way and help him possibly build up some more tolerance. But like yesterday, Moe was simply in the yard, and when we let Snoopy out he wanted to go after him. I'm afraid if we tried something like that where they are separated, and on top of it food was present once we let them mingle again Moe will attack. I'm not throwing it out the window as an option to try though, but I'm not sure if Moe's attitude would turn it into more of a setback than a positive thing. I usually walk the dogs separately, but would it be a good idea to start bringing Snoopy on walks with Moe? Moe LOVES going on walks to the park so Moe might realize Snoopy = Walks and Park. Or could he see this as a Snoopy taking away from his one on one time?

Squ'mey- I have not read Mine, but I will definitely look into it.

I have been looking into dog sports, and possibly obedience classes. I know that he would LOVE weight pulling, but I cannot seem to find anyone in my area that does it. I'm not sure if weight pulling actually has classes like agility does, or is it something owners train their dogs to do and then just go to events?

Do you guys have any other suggestions as far as dog sports go? I was thinking tracking as well for that Hound side of him, but I also think he might like something more intense.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Nare, Aug 5 11:21 pm

Moe Jr.

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 11:46pm PST 
Thank you for your responses.

Almost had another incident today. I was out in the yard with all four dogs, everything was fine. I put the other three inside and Moe wanted to stay out with me. My mom came out in the yard and Snoopy followed. Moe's tail went down, his ears were slightly back and he was giving that look. I snapped him out of it, but he instantly went back to staring at snoopy and walking toward him. I got up real quick and Moe, broke the stare. I took them inside and he continued, so we put them in separate rooms. I'm 99% sure we would have had another attack if we didn't put them away. Snoopy did nothing other than walk into the yard, he didn't even look at Moe.

Meme- I will definitely look into a Bully forum if anyone knows some good ones a link would be appreciated. Before when fights broke out, they were mainly all noise, and air snapping. But the other day he tried going for the neck, and that was a real shock. We've always supervise them, and when we can't be around Moe goes in his crate.

Squ'mey- Moe can get food aggressive around our dogs, when food is around his personality goes from happy go lucky to killer shark. He will get that look and attack. Really we have done a lot in the past and present to redirect his attention, but it doesn't seem to clear his head from what he was previously doing. Like today, I redirected several times, and took him back in the house, he went right back to hard starting, redirected again, then went back to staring. I really would like to get a behaviorist to see what they think, but right now we are going through a lot with family, and my grandparents are staying with us while my grandma is going through cancer treatments.

I really don't know why he is pretty much only targeting Snoopy, pretty much randomly. He has only gotten aggressive with Baby around food, but then in any other situation it is always Snoopy. Snoopy is only 25 pounds, of mush and Moe is 60 pounds of rock hard muscle. Now on top of it I have my mom getting really nervous about the whole thing.

I'm not sure if this could dog aggression starting to crop up. But he always has great respect for other dogs and he is always non confrontational. He met other dogs yesterday in the park, sniffed and played. Today he played outside with my cousins dog for like two hours. When Moe was trying to eat a piece of fruit that fell from a tree and My cousins dog came by, he didn't even give a look, he ran around and tried to play with it in his mouth. If that had been Snoopy instead Moe probably would have given the shark eye and attacked him.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Nare, Aug 5 11:21 pm

Moe Jr.

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 4:28pm PST 
Thank you for the response Nare.

I know that a hard stare is a warning, but in his case I wasn't sure if I could consider it one. It's more like an expression he gets right before he attacks, it doesn't seem like he's trying to warn them. It's just a look then he goes straight into action. His attitude toward me hasn't changed at all, or with anyone else in the house. We can take food from him, toys, etc. He's never shown any human aggression or anything like that.

I wouldn't doubt he may have some resource guarding issues, but it just seems too random. One day he doesn't care about something and a few days later for whatever reason he feels the need to attack over it. Like this morning, I let the dogs out, and suddenly his tail went up when they went running through the house and he waited for Snoopy and then attacked once he came close. I was across the room.

I may have made the situation seem a bit worse than it actually is, but he does get along with the dogs really well, he plays with them everyday and whenever they sleep he is always right next to one of them trying to cuddle. Another thing is 99% of the time his attacks are ALL directed at Snoopy, he's only gone after Baby a couple times, and never Chewy.

Baby made it known from day one she was "the boss" and Chewy is twice Moe's size, but can clearly correct and control Moe when he needs to. Maybe this is him trying to put Snoopy in his place combined with something else like resource guarding?

I will start looking into dog sports for him. I know he would love weight pulling, but I can't find anyone that does that in my area.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Nare, Aug 5 11:21 pm

Moe Jr.

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 10:47am PST 
In the past we were having issues with Moe being rude, pushy, food aggressive with our dogs, and starting fights with Snoopy and Baby. The "I'm a jerk attitude" went away for awhile and we have been managing the food aggression. We have gone months without any issues.

Now he's becoming a jerk again. We have been having fights again.

This is what has taken place the past couple of weeks.

Mom came home from work, dogs were excited. Moe and Snoopy bumped into each other and Moe attacked. A necklace fell on the floor, snoopy started licking it, Moe INSTANTLY attacked. I came home from a 90 minute walk with Moe. We did 3 sprints around the park and he played with another dog. We came home and he went after Snoopy. Snoopy just walked out of the kitchen and BAM. This time he was going for the kill. He was trying to get his jaws around Snoopy's neck, but he slipped on the tile and Snoopy got away. Once the fight is started he DOES NOT stop it doesn't end when you pull them apart he will keep going and going. This morning in the heat of the moment I literally had to lift him by the neck and throw him out.

Whenever our dogs are sniffing things or investigating boxes, bags or anything he walks over and goes nose to nose with them. I don't know f he is simply investigating too or trying to be a bully and get a fight going. I don't know if he will start a random fight over that too now So do what I can to redirect his attention. He also gives these silent glares, randomly to the dogs.

Could this be the start of dog aggression now that he is maturing? He loves other dogs outside of our home though... He plays with my cousins BC and goes to the dog park and is NEVER confrontational. He literally happily greeted and played with a dog in the park right before we came home though. But at home he is a jerk. Don't get me wrong all the dogs get along and you can tell they are close, but he randomly picks out fights and is becoming unpredictable. He's gone after Baby three times, but it wasn't much of an attack, but he wouldn't let up either. He has never gotten aggressive with Chewy, and Snoopy is the one he ALWAYS goes after.

He also NEVER gives warnings when he is about to attack, its a hard silent stare followed by the attack. He never growls, doesn't bare teeth or anything of the sort.

Any advice or input would be appreciated. I really thought this was just a one time jerk teenager phase, but it is starting up again and his attacks are more intense.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Nare, Aug 5 11:21 pm

(Page 1 of 50: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.