Postings by Isis's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Food & Nutrition > Wet/dry feeding issues
Isis

Kids?- Please...mommy- loves ME best!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:56pm PST 
Thanks guys- I have tried meat from our table food, but she's sensitive to that as well (possibly even more so than the canned dog food.) I have not tried yogurt yet! That one may be perfect since it's supposed to help soothe the stomach! Thanks!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Roy, Nov 11 12:06 pm

Dogs & Travel > Pet-friendly hotels
Isis

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:52pm PST 
Thank you! That's an awesome site as well, but there was one posted on here a few months ago that was national that I finally found on search. It's called www.bringfido.com. Very awesome little resource to have on hand in an emergency that I never would have thought to have! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Jan 25 3:28 pm

Behavior & Training > Books!

Isis

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:46pm PST 
Nikolai- I was just wanting to trim down my collection- do you want me to mail you some? smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Nov 10 4:14 pm

Dogs & Travel > Pet-friendly hotels

Isis

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:40pm PST 
I can't seem to track down that great site that had a VERY comprehensive list of dog friendly hotels. If someone knows what it is, I'd be so grateful! I'll be printing it and keeping it somewhere safe after this hurricane craziness!!! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Jan 25 3:28 pm

Food & Nutrition > Wet/dry feeding issues

Isis

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 10:47am PST 
My dog is insanely picky about her food. I have to change brands slowly every few months or she WON'T eat...really, it will sit in the bowl for DAYS. I'm tired of switching back and forth between kibble, and so I'd like to try wet food again so she's interested in eating once more. We feed high quality- blue, taste of the wild, merrick and the like. I've tried ALL of their wet cans of food in the past and they ALL give her diarrhea, even with as little as a quarter of a can! Are there any other things I can add to her dry food to pique her interest that maybe won't cause her to have diarrhea every day?

Thanks so much for the help!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Roy, Nov 11 12:06 pm

Sports & Agility > Mean instructor?
Isis

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 10:44am PST 
Hi guys!

I started doing agility with my girl a couple of months ago. We were doing great (especially once my hubby built some of the equipment for the front yard) and then we got a new instructor for our class. I didn't care one way or the other, but she's AWFUL! We're in a beginner's class, but my dog is quite quick on picking up on stuff, so she's a little better than the rest. This instructor is constantly belittling my dog, and telling me I can't use clickers because it hurts her (the instructors!) ears, and making snide and rude comments about my dog! It's not even like we're annoying. I've tried contacting the place to see if there are any other instructors, or if we could get a refund if we drop out (we DO have some homemade stuff we could use, but it'd be nice to have someone help us!) and it's no use. This is the only agility place within about a 45 minute drive for us, too, so we can't go to a different facility. Anyone ever have someone be so outright MEAN to your dog?!?! I've paid for this class and don't want to waste money, but I dread going there....anyone have any advice? frown Thanks for the help!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 16 6:18 pm

Behavior & Training > I feel so horrible!

Isis

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 6:11pm PST 
I feel for you!! When I was younger I spent a summer with my aunt, and she had an outdoor only spaniel, and I spent the ENTIRE summer trying to get him to be allowed inside. I finally succeeded my last week there. smile I agree with the previous poster. If it's not too bad outside, maybe just go spend some time with her? Do you have a garage the two of you could cuddle in maybe? Any time counts, even small amounts, and you're making a huge difference in her life. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 1 7:35 am

Behavior & Training > I'm about to have a breakdown...

Tundra

Hi! My name is- NO!NO! What's- your name?

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 7:38pm PST 
Awww, Sage hug I feel so awful for you. I've been there, and am currently going through the same thing, and it's really horrible. My husband has asked me to get rid of our dog, just like Suede's dad, and it's a horrible feeling. I do have to say, though, that it DOES get better. It took TWO years with our old dog, but he finally got better. He would relapse every so often, but he did get better. With our puppy, what actually helped the most was letting her have free run. I understand the trepidation. I won't do it with our husky now because he's still not fully housebroken...but when she gets to that point, try that if you can. You might be pleasantly surprised. Until then, hug hang in there. And I'm so happy you're not giving up on her. Believe me, it meanst the world to her!
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Sep 27 6:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Abused baby girl

Tundra

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 4:52pm PST 
I think what you're doing is perfect. I volunteered at 2 no-kill shelters for 10 years, and we dealt with a LOT of abused dogs there. I was there morning, afternoon and night EVERY day, and with some dogs it took them MONTHS to finally warm up to me. That was a very stressful environment, though. Your house should be much easier. Our first husky was badly abused before we got him. He behaved much the same way. If we moved too quickly around the house in the beginning, he would try to bite us (luckily we had no children then!!) He would also cower and pee if we moved towards him. What helped a LOT was at night, and when he was worn out after exercise, I would lie down on the floor in the living room and watch tv for a couple of hours. He'd come and sniff me in the beginning, and then run away. I never moved. I just let him sniff. After about a month, he came and sniffed, and then plopped down next to me and fell asleep. I didn't move to pet him until about the 5th time he did that, and from there on out, he became my best friend. He never tried to bite us again, his peeing stopped, and until the day he died, we had our nightly ritual of lying on the floor cuddling together. smile It does get better- it takes a LOT of patience, and love, and I'm sure you know that. smile We just adopted a husky 6 weeks ago, and although we don't know if he was abused, he was neglected, and is not trusting at all. I do the same nightly thing with him, and as I'm writing this, he's lying next to me sleeping. smile

Good luck! I hope she learns soon that she's in a loving home now, and that she can finally let her guard down. You're a wonderful person for taking in not only an unwanted dog, but one that was abused with issues as well!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Patches (R.I.P), Sep 22 4:58 am

Behavior & Training > Separation anxiety...?
Tundra

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 4:28pm PST 
Glacier- This poor guy has been through so much in his three years, I wouldn't be surprised if it took him another 3 years just to trust us. He is warming up to us, luckily. He'll come and lie down by me when he's tired, and sometimes lean in to me to get pet, but other than that- typical aloof husky. smile He is very food motivated, as is my other dog. So, my typical offering in their crates are a kong stuffed with frozen peanut butter, a bully stick, a cow hoof, and a pig ear (all of those...seriously.) I give him one of the treats to lead him in to the crate, he'll start chewing on it, and lie down, I shut the door, and leave. He's fine until I actually leave the house. If I put him in there during the day to get work done (he's not fully housebroken yet, either) he's totally fine as long as he knows we're still in the house. But, when I get to the driveway outside, I can hear him howling and carrying on. frown And, when I get home, NONE of the chews are touched...when I let both of the dogs out, they'll grab the chews and come lie next to me and chew away for an hour. LOL. smile And he was an outside dog- chained up on a 6 foot lead on a concrete pad- for a year and a half, so when we're outside, he just sits on the back deck waiting to go back inside. cry He likes being outside for his walks and his bike rides, but just being outside is one of his pet peeves. I don't leave him in his crate very often. He loves the car, so he usually comes on rides with me to the store, and if I have to go in to the office for an hour or so. He's GREAT in the car. He'll chew on his bones in there, but just not his crate. My other baby had major issues with being left alone when we first got her, too, and it tempered after a few months. I'm hoping this guy will have the same breakthrough! smile But, for now, my hubby found a padlock we can try on the door of the crate! laugh out loud

Sanka- it's totally ok. I wrote my response very late at night, and I took it too much to heart. My whole family is not supportive at ALL. They all keep telling me to bring him back for VARIOUS issues, and I am just getting sad from hearing that constantly. frown

Abner- I totally agree!!! I've always seen many other signs with separation anxiety. But, what made me think it may be that is that NORMALLY during a normal day, Tundra doesn't destroy ANYTHING. He doesn't chew on anything he shouldn't, he doesn't dig, he's a pretty good boy in the house, minus the housebreaking...but when he's left alone, he goes on a total RAMPAGE. Although, when he's in the crate when we're in the room with him, he chews on his bones, or he goes to sleep. Weird, right!?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Abner, Sep 20 2:00 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.