Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Sick of the dog food snobs!!
Hadley

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:29am PST 
It's no so much a food snob as it is being an animal lover and knowing a lot about nutrition and seeing what these "cheap foods" are all about. Genetically modified foods have never been tested for the long-term effects on animals (or humans) so to be safe, why wouldn't you want to avoid them? There are many countries around the world banning GMO's all together, what does that say? So for starters, we need to be looking for foods without GMO in it. Also, ingredients from China, why would you want to take the risk when you've seen the problems it's caused? I feed foods to my cat that do not have minerals and vitamins sourced from China, so it's not impossible to do.

I agree ingredients themselves will vary from dog to dog on what is good, but it's the QUALITY of the ingredients people need to pay attention to. There's a reason 1 in 2 dogs will die of cancer and a reason diabetes in canines has skyrocketed in this country. Pets are considerably more unhealthy today than they used to, as are humans, and with humans this is the first generation that won't live longer than the previous. That's alarming and it's not okay to settle on a low-quality ingredient kibble. Nature's Logic is cheap and affordable and doesn't use any Chinese ingredients. They have many proteins, too. No genetically modified ingredients.

So my pet peeve is owners not taking the time to find a QUALITY food to feed their pet. I mean, if you're feeding kibble you're alterting their diet already, so why would you give them the crappiest ingredients to boot? It's foolishness and if that makes me a food snob then so be it. But it's more like an educated consumer putting her money where her mouth is.
Approved by forums moderator
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , Jun 14 10:36 am

Dog Health > Could this actually be vertigo?
Lily

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 7:22pm PST 
That's interesting you have a pup with Episodic Ataxia. I wonder if there are more out there and just undiagnosed. My pup, Lily started hers after her first puppy booster and my boy started after his rabies. So sad to hear about the leg frown Do you find certain things bring on episodes for your pup? We know exercise, stress, and we've noticed when they eat processed food it triggers them more. Obviously heart worm/flea but we haven't done those in a couple years now.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 7:22 pm

Lily

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 1:40pm PST 
I'm not sure why my link isn't working, oops!

I have littermates who have Episodic Ataxia, a neurological disease that we believe resulted due to vaccinations. Ataxia is listed as a side-effect and humans have developed this disorder after vaccinations.

Some episodes are more mild than others and they seem to have no particular pattern. Toxins and exercise bring them on more frequently.

Maybe this video will work:

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/maddy_ciccone18/librar y/Episodic Ataxia

For some reason it keeps putting a space after the -y in the link, delete that space and the link should work and it will lead you to a few videos.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 7:22 pm

Hadley

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 9:34pm PST 
Try this link:
http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/maddy_ciccone18/media/Ep isodic%20Ataxia/VID_20110509_134857.mp4.html

Do these episodes he have happen constantly or do they come and go?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 7:22 pm

Hadley

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 9:32pm PST 
Do they look like this?

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/maddy_ciccone18/librar y/Episodic%20Ataxia
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 7:22 pm

Food & Nutrition > I need...
Hadley

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:22pm PST 
My dog is what the vet refers to as "atheletic" and most people think she's way too skinny. The problem is we're used to seeing dogs who carry too much weight.

With that, I'd try adding in coconut oil to her diet. It's a good fat and will benefit her. Why would you want to feed a dog rice and other fillers just to gain weight? That's just as unhealthy as a human gaining weight on that kind of junk. Those are fillers, and meant to fill the dog up, but provide little to no nutritional value to your pup.

Nuts are high in fats, seeds are, coconut oil, ghee, natural things that put weight on in a healthy way is good. If you add all that stuff above to your dog's diet, they're going to have massive amounts of stool because almost all those ingredients are going to come right back out. Beef heart and liver are excellent suggestions. Stay away from carbs to put weight on.... worst idea ever --- for a human and an animal!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 6:06 am

Raw Food Diet > Starting raw, afraid of bone hazards

Hadley

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:16pm PST 
It's interesting to me that people's innitial worry is over bones, when based on my experience, the meat is the real problem. My dogs have been eating raw for two years and the only time they've come close to choking was when I cut their meatless piece to a size that didn't force them to chew enough. I will say, if a dog is acting like it's choking, 99% of the time mine bring it up on their own. I had to step in once and help, but again it was the boneless meat. I've read other people same the same thing in that their dog has had issues with the boneless cuts, not bone.

With that, always make sure you cut your boneless meat long wise, long/skinny, verses short and fatter. I always try to feed boneless pieces bigger than their head. Dogs know how to eat, it's natural for them to eat something, not chew it enough and puke it back up to chew it more. I visit quite a few forums and it's rare this is even an issue, but when it is, it's user error in the way they cut the meat. Just remember long/thin is best when it comes to boneless meals. Bone, you really have nothing to worry about. even if the dog swallowed it hole they'd be fine and it would digest in the stomach.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 3:26 pm

Dog Health > DAPP Vaccination?

Hadley

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:09pm PST 
I'd have to agree it's not anymore dangerous giving the shot yourself than giving the shot at home. Most vaccine reactions don't happen over night but infact happen anywhere from as long as three weeks after a vaccination. Giving them at home isn't any more riskier than doing it at a vet's office.

With that, I don't vaccinate any of my animals and when I needed immunity proof, the titer showed she had immunity. Vaccines clearly aren't the only way to get immunity or else how does my unvaccinated dog show immunity on a titer? Think about it smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 19 11:00 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Have a mixed breed and know its parents?

Hadley

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 10:13pm PST 
I have a good one for you!

This beautiful sheltie: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/maddy_ciccone18/Hadley and the pups/226607_192610984118789_100001096668132_467065_4743841_n.jpg

Produced these babies:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/maddy_ciccone18/Lily Magnolia/lily-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/maddy_ci ccone18/Theodore AKA Theo/DSC05054.jpg

Would you believe it?? I wouldn't if I hadn't seen it. We rescued our Sheltie pregnant from a bad situation so we aren't sure who dad was, but this was her stud: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/maddy_ciccone18/2010July4thDo g-2.jpg

DNA showed half sheltie/half cavalier king charles mix and in the mix was Chinese Crested which the pups favor.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:21 pm

Dog Health > DAPP Vaccination?
Hadley

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 9:09am PST 
Don't vaccinate. Take your pup to the vet and test their antibodies (titer test) and that will suffice as evidence your dog is immune. You might have to show a few people because sadly, most people aren't informed on titers, but they show immunity which is much more than a vaccine really shows.

My dogs never been vaccinated and a year ago we wanted to enroll here in some sort of class, can't even remember, we titered her and she was immune. My dog didn't need artifical immunity through some toxic concoction, she just needed me to give her a healthy diet and a good immune system so she can build immunity on her own.

Titers ARE more money, but worth it to not have to shoot those toxins into their blood stream.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Dec 19 11:00 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.