Postings by Gretel's Family

GO!

Small Dogs > New to Owning a Small Dog

Gretel

Dreamy Eyes

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 10:52am PST 
Hi Boots. From a little different perspective, something I might throw out there is don't assume that because the dog is small that he will have less enegy or need less excercise than a big dog. People often underestimate small dogs.

Terriers are hardy breeds with lots of energy. The advantage of small dogs is that they can usually SURVIVE with less excercise but it is still important that they get some to maintain a healthy weight and curb behavioral problems (like the separation anxiety refrenced by another commenter). Our Doxies are bred for hunting small game and can hike for miles and miles. When we encounter non-Doxies on the trail they are usually terrier breeds. Just bundle your little guy/girl up and let them run with the big dogs smile

Also, be sure that you expect your small dog to be as polite and well mannered as your big dog. I see a lot of yappy, agressive smaller dogs that obviously got that way because their owner thought it was cute that they were "scrappy" instead of teaching them to be good, upstanding doggie citizens.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gretel, Dec 29 10:52 am

Small Dogs > Do small dogs actually need booties for the snow?
Gretel

Dreamy Eyes

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 9:33pm PST 
I have two mini dachshunds under 15 lbs. They love the snow. We go out for snowshoe hikes for an hour or two on weekends. We don't use booties and they do fine. We usally stay out for an hour or two. The only time I had any issues at all we when it was deep snow and it was about 20 degrees out. They got little ice balls on the end of their toenails. That hike didn't last more than an hour.

That being said, it is a good idea to periodically check your dogs's paws while out in the snow to check for signs of irritation. Make sure they aren't getting balls of snow sticking to the hair between their pads because that can be painful. If you don't want to go with boots you can put bag balm on their paws, as another reader said, or use a product like Musher's Secret http://musherssecret.net/
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by McLovin', Jan 27 12:15 pm

Dachshund > Does your mini Dachshund love to hike?

Gretel

Dreamy Eyes

Barked: Mon Jan 3, '11 1:47pm PST 
I know we are not the only ones out there. We have two weiner dogs that love to hike. People are amazed when they see us out on the trail but, really, the dogs are the ones outhiking us. I have been looking for other hiking doxies on the internet but haven't had much luck.

I want to know how many of us there are out there. I have started a blog that chronicals the hiking and adventures of my dogs to get the word out about what great outdoor companions this breed can make. If you have a story about hiking with your miniature Dachshund you want to share on my blog let me know. The blog is at www.YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner.com
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Star, Apr 7 6:52 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.