Postings by Blaze's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > Limited ingredient foods?
Blaze

Born to run and- fly.

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 9:09pm PST 
Another fairly Limited Ingredient Dog Food to consider mightbe GO Naturals Salmon and Oatmeal. Not grain free but I think(although maybe am wrong) that Oatmeal is gluten free. We are in a tricky situation right now with Blaze who is coming off of a digestive issue of unknown origin. Numerous fecals and tests. We have been home cooking and he was on sulfasalazine until 2 weeks ago when he was weaned off of it. Now we try dog foods again and see what happens. This is one of the foods we are considering. Petcurean just sent us coupons for 2 free 1 pound samples of the Go Naturals Salmon and Oatmeal as well as NOW Sr. Weight Management which is grain free. Not sure how this will go but we start this weekend. The NOW is not limited ingredient but the meats are not rendered and the protein source for this is turkey and he has been having turkey in his home cooked diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Tucker John, Feb 24 2:57 pm

Food & Nutrition > What is a bully stick?
Silva

Can we play,- lets play,- pretty please!!

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 7:24pm PST 
Just told mom and dad to order us some of these. Mom found out about 4 weeks ago what Bully sticks are and now it's even more clarified for her. She keeps laughing, but she is ordering them. Looking forward to our special treats... I think she should get 12 inch ones for us sibes don't you.....cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Feb 1 4:19 am

Food & Nutrition > Thoughts on Evangers?

Blaze

Born to run and- fly.

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 7:12pm PST 
Our guys love the canned foods. Never tried the kibble. Have been aware of the issues with the business so have been a bit less inclined to buy lately but even their canned has kept our guys teeth clean also.

Not sure what we'll do in the future, just keep watching to see if there's any news and probably continue to purchase some canned as long as we see no reason not to.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Feb 6 6:09 pm

Siberian Husky > Crating

Silva

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 9:33pm PST 
I swear huskies are so clever. They are really good at carrying on and vocalizing if they don't like the crate. I know it's extremely difficult but you really have to ignore it, responding quickly teaches them that they get a response if they carry on. In this case to succeed you have to be stronger willed than them. That said I have never regretted crate training all 7 of our siberians over the years. Some of the dogs have been far more trustworthy in the house, and two of our girls had crates open at all times and used them only when they wished too. It was nice to have them trained though in the event anyone ever came to the home who was afraid/uncomfortable with the dogs. We also prefer to travel with them crated. It feels much safer for them, and god forbid there was ever an accident I don't have to worry about someone being afraid to handle them in their crate. Plus they won't take off when taken out of the car. Just my two cents though, you have to do what works for your dog, but being stronger willed than a husky is a good trait to develop. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Aspen, CGC, Mar 8 10:40 am

Siberian Husky > another grooming question...

Blaze

Born to run and- fly.

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 9:14pm PST 
Mom and Dad bathe us twice a year,(both the dogs look like mortified sad little rats when wet) and they keep a bottle of waterless shampoo on hand for quick clean ups. But, Silva and I are very fastidious and we keep ourselves well groomed. Mom also uses Eqyss Marigold Grooming Spray on us in the summer, and the Avacaado one for winter. Hair is another matter, two good coat blows a year, mom says hair is a condiment. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 15 4:04 pm

Get Well Soon > Diagnosis - Oral Melanoma
Silva

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 9:52pm PST 
Fight that alien cancer Buster. You can beat it!!hug
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Dahlia, Jan 19 3:47 pm

Get Well Soon > Maggie needs power of the paw

Blaze

Born to run and- fly.

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 9:47pm PST 
Oh, I hope you can get Maggie's seizures under control. Good to get to the vet ASAP as you seem to be doing since she has seized a few times on the same day. If she is not on meds perhaps it can be managed and controlled that way.

Also, I have literally seen some dogs become nearly seizure free if a diet change is made. Not sure how and what you feed but you may want to look into that too, while you and the vet probably use some med to control/stop the seizing.

I had one siberian with seizures related to Cushings and her pituitary gland. At age 14 we had to make a tough decision because she was strong physically, but she was not herself at all, and even had trouble drinking water.

I'm sure the vet will suggest an anti-convulsant for you to give her, and then maybe look at her diet. I believe I had read somewhere that a person who switched their dog to grain free food saw a significant reduction in seizures.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for a positive resolution. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Feb 22 6:26 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > My Recipes

Blaze

Born to run and- fly.

Barked: Sun Jan 2, '11 8:23pm PST 
Wow, really appreciate all these recipes as we move forward with Blaze and his issues. This coming week we cut back on his medication, and hopefully begin adding calcium from pulverized eggshells. We are slowly reducing the amount of sweet potato but really want to take this slow and easy because he is doing so much better than even a few days ago.

Sassy, your input and advice about checking out the nutrition data website and dog aware have been very helpful.

Thanks again, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge for us in planning for Blaze's needs and probably getting Silva off kibble too.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sassy, Jan 3 10:22 pm

Siberian Husky > ✔ A head-count of all the Dogster Huskies ✔

Blaze

Born to run and- fly.

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 7:12am PST 
Hi, My name is Blaze and I am about 12/13 years old. Mom and dad are not sure because they got me from friends who plucked me out of their local SPCA. I loved to run on their sled dog team, but I was not as fast as their Alaskan Huskies, so I and my sister Silva who is about a year younger and rescued too, came to live with my parents in PA about 8/9 years ago. We both liked running on their recreational team. We also did some weight pulling, but I am better than my sister who only likes to run. Mom says Silva is a vixen and I am Mr Zen. Mom has not figured out how to add Silva's picture yet, but she is working on it. Silva is a black and white sibe.
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Deamon, Jul 12 10:52 am

Food & Nutrition > Does anyone else ever feel bothered when you see people buying unhealthy dog food?
Blaze

Born to run and- fly.

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 6:50am PST 
Isabelle, I tried to convince them to go to the local Pet Supply Store and suggested other food brands that would be comparable in price that they would find there. They were convinced everything there was expensive, so I settled for the Purina Pro Plan and let well enough alone. Hopefully they will research the other foods I mentioned and broaden their options as they move forward. At that point I accepted that I had deterred them from horrid food to less horrid food.
[notify]
» There has since been 105 posts. Last posting by Jack Magni, Jan 22 7:42 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.