Postings by Bug(Starbug 1)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Contests and Vote For Me! > Please vote - Prize is donation to a small, rural animal shelter
Bug(Starbug- 1)

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:52pm PST 
Vote for Bug HERE!.

Hi all, please if you are on fb and have a moment, I'd really appreciate you voting for Bug. Bug was rescued from Apache Junction Animal Control. If she gets into the next round she will earn a donation from Bully Sticks to Friends of Apache Junction Animal Control. AJAC is a very small, understaffed and underfunded shelter, run almost completely on volunteers. They sometimes run dangerously low on food, litter and other supplies. FOAJAC often steps up to take care of these supplies and a little money goes a very long way, they stretch every dollar.

Vote for Bug HERE!.

All you have to do to vote is go to the page, click LIKE at the top, then click the VOTE button under the caption. You'll have the accept the app the first time you vote. You can vote once every 24 hours.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for your time and for helping a small shelter. little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bug(Starbug 1), Jan 24 8:52 pm

Dog Health > Clinical depression and your dog
Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 4:05pm PST 
Yeah, I agree that there's probably not going to be any long term damage to a dog living with a depressed person. Damage isn't the right word anyway. I think depending on the severity though, it may just be a quality of life issue. If the depression prevents the person from going outside, getting enough social interaction and exercise, then it could just result in some potential behavioral problems with the dog, especially if the dog is young or particularly energetic. I suspect an adult or even senior dog would be a great match in this case. And seniors have such a hard time finding homes. I think perhaps just finding an older or lower energy dog is key to not diminishing their quality of life if inactivity is a part of the depression. I absolutely think dogs can be very helpful to people suffering from depression, so it's not a bad idea. Just match the dog to your particular needs and abilities.
[notify]
» There has since been 48.8 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 1:31 am

Dog Health > Temporary vomiting followed by excessive drooling while sleeping

Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 10:38am PST 
Hi guys. Thanks, yeah, I'm just glad it passed too. I know I'm hypersensitive to their health. I just started to get worried and I always fear the worst. I once noticed that Nibbler had been shaking her head a lot. I know she has seasonal allergies, but it kept going on, so I took her to the vet worried she had an ear infection. The vet looked in her ears and said they were the cleanest ears he'd ever seen. Sigh.

Anyway, I had searched the web prior to posting here and there wasn't much out there except a lot of *potential* causes. Very few people talking about their experiences. I was hoping someone here had experienced something similar. But hopefully it helps someone in the future, right? Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nibbler, Sep 19 10:38 am

Dog Health > Clinical depression and your dog

Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 10:30am PST 
From an outsider's perspective, when I was an undergrad, an older woman who lived in my building had schizophrenia. She would go on and off her meds. When she was on her meds, she was a very nice, intelligent, friendly woman. When she was off her meds, she would yell at me that I was the devil and I was going to hell. She also had a little white pomeranian. I could *always* tell whether or not she was taking her meds based on that dog's behavior. If the dog was friendly, calm and well behaved, she was on her meds that day. If the dog was charging at me, barking wildly and baring her teeth, she was off her meds.

I think a dog's behavior often mirrors the owners temperment or disposition quite closely, whether or not the owner realizes it. I know my three dogs have very different personalities, but my girls are much more like me, and our boy is like my husband. My dogs mimic a lot of my behaviors (everything from bathing to how I lay on the couch). So I think if someone is clinically depressed and is very sedentary around the house, that probably the dog will be somewhat the same. Perhaps sleep a lot. Not sure there would be one way to classify it though. I think it depends entirely on the person and the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 71 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 1:31 am

Dog Health > Advantix reaction

Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 2:28pm PST 
Not all white dogs will have a reaction to Advantix. It's that many white dogs of certain breeds can have sensitive skin. And for those dogs, they could have a reaction to any topical preventative... Advantix, Frontline, whatever, they are all pretty harsh chemicals. But most dogs tolerate them well. I use Advantix on my other two dogs. I can't use ANY chemicals on my boxer though, her skin is too sensitive. But Previously I had a little all white jack russel. He'd qualify as a small white dog. He's never had a reaction to Advantix or Frontline. It is not an absolute predictor to sensitivity. But there are natural oprions for insect control. If you go to your local health food store, you will be able to get an all natural spray with Neem. It works really well, but you'll probably have to use it every other day depending on how much your dog is outside. If it just goes outside to potty, you could probably just use it twice a week.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nibbler, Sep 18 2:28 pm

Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 10:38am PST 
I'm guessing everyone else was as stumped as I was. But the good news is Nibbler seems to have stopped the excessive drooling. I gave her some milk and plain yogurt just to cover the ingestion bases. And then I gave her a pint of whey just for hydration. So I'm thinking most likely she was stung by a scorpion. It could have been a foreign object in the back of her throat where I couldn't see, but that would t explain the vomiting. So I think she got stung. The scorpion stings can make people really sick too. I just feel lucky that she had already been on a course of antihistamines, or it might have been worse. But at any rate, she seems to be fine now.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nibbler, Sep 19 10:38 am

Dog Health > Advantix reaction

Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 5:12pm PST 
Yes, our white boxer / am bulldog mix had a contact dermatitis reaction to Advantix. Though I believe she would have had the same reaction with any topical preventative. She had hives all over her body and we had to get a steroid shot. She has had this reaction to other chemicals as well. I only use an all natural Neem spray on her for ticks/mosquitoes. And I keep benadryl around at all times in case she gets into something. And I also only use only colloidal oatmeal shampoos with her. If she has a reaction to any chemicals in the future, was the area immediately with the oatmeal shampoo and administer benadryl ASAP. Many white dogs of particular breeds have extremely sensitive skin.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nibbler, Sep 18 2:28 pm

Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 2:07pm PST 
I think on Wednesday of last week, I came home from work to find that one of the dogs had vomited several times on their bed and floor and once in the kitchen. It looked like mostly just bile. Early the next morning, Nibbler was in bed with us and she started acting like she was going to vomit, I moved her off the bed then she did. She is a mutt, so is very rarely sick and when she is she'll usually go outside. But since then I haven't seen her get sick.

However, she has been drooling profusely in her sleep. And only in her sleep. She seems to feel ok otherwise. Normal appetite, not excessively panting. She seems to feel comfortable and is having normal bowel movements and urination.

I checked her teeth and gums and didn't see anything abnormal and she didn't exhibit any sensitivities to the exam. Likewise I checked her body and didn't find anything abnormal. It has been 2.5 days since the initial vomiting. We also don't have any poisonous plants, she's never been too interested in chewing on plants anyway. And it's been several more months since we've had an exterminator spray.

We do live in Arizona though, we have bark scorpions around here. I suppose there's always bees and wasps too. I didn't see any evidence of a sting, but again it's been 2.5 days.

We have a vet appointment for Monday, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? She seems totally fine except for the excessive drooling, but ONLY while sleeping. And no vomiting since Wednesday. I'm stumped.

ETA: By the way, she does have seasonal allergies and has been on Benadryl twice a day for about a week. She normally exhibits itchy ears and paws and we'll put her on Benadryl for a week or two. So if she did get stung by a scorpion, her symptoms might have been lessened since she would have already had antihistamines in her system.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Nibbler, Sep 19 10:38 am

Raw Food Diet > LARGE bone chunks in poop...

Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 9:04pm PST 
He just must not be producing strong enough stomach acids for some reason. He doesn't get any regular dairy or anything else that's basic on a regular basis, does he? We had a couple bone shards at the beginning, but all of mine transitioned well and we haven't had any since. Does he eat once a day or twice? I'm guessing twice. But if it's once and he is not producing enough acids, it's possible the amount of food is overwhelming the acids. I'm just brainstorming, and anyway, I'm not sure there's much you can do about that. I agree with everyone else that maybe premade grinds are the answer. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Aug 10 10:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > We had to go back to kibble for a little while :(
Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 11:33am PST 
I've noticed an increase in prices here as well (Arizona). I used to be able to get some good deals on beef now and again. But mine have been on pork now for ages it seems. And even that seems more expensive. Though sometimes I can find it at $1.59-$1.79/lb. But previously, I could get a good pork deal at $1.29/lb. Chicken has stayed the same at $0.89/lb for 10 lb bags of Sanderson Farms frying quarters. And my organs are between $0.89-$1.39/lb. I can get smelt sometimes for $1.29/lb. But I've been having to do canned sardines a lot lately for their fish. I feel your pain though, every time I go to the grocery I wonder if I'm eventually going to get priced out of raw. I have 155 lbs worth of dogs (3 dogs total) on it now. And I know how much the have benefitted from it, I really don't want to have to go back. But I'm spending about $70/mo in chicken and $150/mo in red meat. It adds up.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tucker, CGC, TDI, Jul 20 7:22 am

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.