Postings by Toboe (Toby)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Dog Laws & Legislation > Laws and Legislation in other countries?
Toboe (Toby)

Loyal Protector

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '11 8:33pm PST 
Anyone know anything about the laws dealing with pets in other developed countries? (Besides the USA)

I'm asking because I'm mulling an idea around in my head about possibly moving to another country and obviously my pets are my children, so before I even begin to seriously consider something like that, I want to know how it would affect them.

Any information about pets in any developed country is welcomed. If you live, or have lived, in another country then that's great! Please tell me about it! hail

I'm looking for information about things like BSL (or restricted breeds) and other laws and ordinances, number of pets you're allowed to own, licensing, vaccinations and vet care, and what it's like to rent with pets. Information on how pet friendly the country is would be wonderful, too, and if you would recommend living there with pets.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Nov 16 12:00 am

Behavior & Training > My "Good Dog" isn't so good, anymore. Advice?
Toboe (Toby)

Loyal Protector

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 4:26pm PST 
Nuka has been here for a little over three months, now, and I've been working on training a lot of bad habits out of her. So far she has been coming along great, and I was very proud of her outside today when another dog came into view and she didn't go completely insane! (Hooray for small steps)

Then it was time to take my "role-model" dog, Toby, out to potty. Lately though (since we moved into these apartments) he has been acting nervous outside... especially in the dog potty area where he smells all kinds of dogs that he can't see. He has always been good about being nice and ignoring other dogs when he sees them, though, and has never once tried to do anything but sniff another dog in the three years that we've had him. Today was different. He did what has become his usual thing of sniffing every dog smell anxiously before deciding to go potty. Then, as I was standing at the poo bag dispenser, trying to throw away his poo, a very calm and well behaved dog walked by and Toby went after him! I saw the dog, but didn't think anything of it because Toby has NEVER, EVER been aggressive in the slightest towards other dogs. In fact, normally he is submissive towards them and will stay away from them. Luckily I saw Toby raise his hair and I was prepared to hold him back, otherwise he may have drug me over to this little dog and we would have had a mess on our hands!!

I've already looked into training classes for his apparent anxiety outside, and had already planned on enrolling him in one as soon as I am able to. The problem is, I'm not able to right NOW.

My thoughts are is that he is guarding the potty area - that he thinks because we go there multiple times a day to potty he thinks he needs to protect it, and I'm guessing that's why he gets anxious when he smells that other dogs have pottied there. I know how to deal with resource guarding of food and toys (from a past dog) but not something as big as a whole dog potty area and apartment parking lot, and not with strange dogs! But I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts on why he might be doing this as well. He's always been an anxious dog.. (He gets anxious over nearly everything) but never to the point where it caused problems. Heck, we used to take him to the dog park and on hikes and he's always been fine with other dogs and people - always polite and ignored them. (Or played at the dog park) I'm at a loss...

What can I do to help him until I can get him to a trainer? It may be months before I can, and I live in an apartment. I don't want someone to complain that we have an aggressive dog and risk being kicked out, or have any accidents happen if he manages to slip away from me!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Oct 17 6:01 pm

Puppy Place > Shelter Rescue What Am I?

Toboe (Toby)

Loyal Protector

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 2:14pm PST 
That is definitely a Lab face! Possibly mixed with a small percentage of pit bull or other bully breed? But I'm not sure. Beautiful, though!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Oct 11 3:16 am

Senior Dogs > Help with senior dog

Toboe (Toby)

Loyal Protector

Barked: Tue Aug 30, '11 8:07pm PST 
Late reply (Sorry, been busy!) but thank you guys! And Thanks for that website, Misty!! They aren't taking dogs from other rescues, but they have a nice list of highlights on the up-sides of adopting a senior dog that I can post with any listings of her. puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Daisy - In Loving Memory , Aug 31 2:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Have you ever thought, "I'm in over my head"?

Toboe (Toby)

Loyal Protector

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 11:15pm PST 
I don't know if I quite feel like I'm in over my head, but sometimes I do wonder if I wasn't a little crazy when I went to adopt a second dog.

We have two dogs now, 45lb (Nuka) and 55lb(Toby) as well as two cats, and we live in a 950sq ft apartment. I see pictures of other people who have one or two dogs and they live in huge houses with nice big back yards surrounded by a privacy fence, and I feel like my little apartment just isn't good enough for my 4 pets - like maybe I should have waited until I had a house that nice before adopting another. But at the same time I know all of the rescues in my area are overflowing, as are the high kill shelters, and that's the only reason we went to adopt a dog right now... because we know how bad it is and wanted to do our part to help. (And we knew we could afford another dog)

I know it's not like our dogs don't get everything they need. We have the money to care for them and they are fed good quality food, and get the exercise, training, and love that they need. I just wonder some times if the apartment isn't too small - and then when I see the people that live in fancy mansions with big yards I feel almost inadequate as a dog owner.

So not quite 'in over my head.' I have 4 well behaved pets. (For the most part - Nuka is still in training, but she's only been here a month and is coming along) I just feel like I don't have enough. smile Even though I know it's not the size of the house that matters.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Aug 22 9:54 am

Dog Health > Two dogs persistently eating grass, what's going on?
Toboe (Toby)

Loyal Protector

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 10:18pm PST 
My Toby will eat grass like crazy when he's nervous about anything.

When we would take him to dog parks, he'd get stressed out from smelling all of the smells from different dogs. So he would find a patch of grass and stand there and chew on it. He did the same thing when we took him to visit my mom on her farm and he got to meet the horses. It's nearly impossible to get him to stop munching on it once he's stressed! I think his is more of a nervous habit than anything, like people chewing on their fingernails.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bob, CGC, Aug 13 3:24 pm

Senior Dogs > Help with senior dog

Toboe (Toby)

Loyal Protector

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 4:30pm PST 
Not sure if this would go better in this forum or in the adoptions forum, but this forum seems more frequented!

I volunteer for a small cat rescue that got an e-mail a few months ago from a family that lost their jobs, home, and car. They had three cats and a senior dog that they had to find homes for immediately. We have found homes for all of the cats, but not for the dog! She is a 12 year old Shepherd/Terrier mix and is very healthy, but no one wants an old dog!!

This is a small cat rescue that normally only deals with cats, and we have had no inquiries on this poor girl at all. We just aren't sure what to do!

So for you senior dog owers, have any of you adopted a senior dog? If so, what sorts of things got you interested in your senior dog and where did you adopt him/her from?
Or, have any of you worked with rescues that have successfully adopted out a senior dog? If so, what did you do to get more people interested?
And for those of you that have done neither, what do you see good dog rescue groups in your area doing to get senior dogs adopted?

Any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated! We have tried everything we can think of, and so far we have nothing to show for it. We list her on Petfinder etc, but just need something more... something a little different and special to make her appealing to potential adopters puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Daisy - In Loving Memory , Aug 31 2:37 pm

Behavior & Training > Help with figuring Nuka out

Nuka-Cola

Happy Girl

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 11:12pm PST 
Yep, I do. There's a small "designated pet area" as they call it. It's an area with a stand of poop bags. We always take the dogs there and when Nuka does poop outside, it's usually in the pine needles around the trees. So I try to direct her towards those, and tell her "good girl!" when she sniffs in that area. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... usually depending on if something distracts her. (Which is inevitable in a busy apartment complex with lots of kids and dogs - especially since she is slightly dog reactive, which I am also working on.)

I did get it to work today, though, and brought some treats out with me to give to her. happy dance I'm hoping she'll get the idea! I love her so much already, and she is a GREAT dog.. the poo thing is her only issue. Everything else we've taught her in the past two weeks she has picked up on almost immediately. But potty problems can be so frustrating when you don't know exactly what you're doing wrong! shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nuka-Cola, Jul 21 11:12 pm

Nuka-Cola

Happy Girl

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 5:37pm PST 
And thanks, Dr. Watson! smile

I think I'll have to start bringing some treats outside with me, too. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Nuka-Cola, Jul 21 11:12 pm

Nuka-Cola

Happy Girl

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 5:34pm PST 
That's what gets me about Nuka though is that she seems to hold it, too. She's held it for a day and a half to two days before finally having an accident on the floor despite me having taken her out LOTS of times. And she either has the accident right at the front door (If I leave the room for a moment) or literally right in front of me. (Usually that happens when I am ignoring her after just taking her out a few minutes before hand.)

So I was thinking that she has just been holding it for some reason until she just can't hold it anymore, and if I don't immediately take her out when it gets to that point then she has an accident. If no one is home all day she holds it just fine until we get home.. without having to be crated.

But I will try your suggestion, and see if I can't get any sort of improvements at all. I just wish there weren't so many distractions outside, because I honestly think that those distractions might have something to do with it, too.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nuka-Cola, Jul 21 11:12 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.