Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 80: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Heart murmurs
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sun May 4, '14 5:30pm PST 
I've just discovered fat head has a small heart murmur on his left side! The vet visit was about his respiratory tract infection and at the E vet, so I haven't taken him in for an appointment regarding this.

Does anyone have experience with dog heart murmurs, and what it can mean for Abner? This is a totally new one for me!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 10 10:30 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Jack Russell Terriers!! Please help!
Abner

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 12:58am PST 
Bunny- wave HIII! I do lurk sometimes. He can walk the dog small amounts. He has area around the house, but not fenced. I think he can go online a bit, but doesn't have the best computer. I will pass that link on.
I don't think he's terribly familiar with clicker training, but I will try to pass information about it on.
And I agree! He just doesn't know what to do with this sort of dog. It's hard falling in love with a dog you may not have chosen for compatibility.

Jasper- Thanks! I was thinking nosework too!

Ginger- Clickers are awesome. That being said, I don't know how much he'd know how to do with training past the basics. I was thinking about this kind of training too, but his family member said he's not so experienced with that kind of thing.
I think he could do a flirt pole!
Right now he's feeding in the crate to get the pup enjoying that as his space more, but I will suggest the wobbler.

Moose- wave !! Hi! When I think of Saints I still think of you guys. I'm going to throw the nosework thing out to them for sure.
I am concerned about the exercise factor. The dog can go to work with him most days, which I think does help rather than cooped up in the house entirely. It's more stimulating at least. But JRTs are so... So terrier-y! I'm hoping they can adjust.

Also, I've been told he's having trouble potty training properly. I guess he got an indoor dog pad of some sort that I think he may have in the crate right now. The dog seems to be taking to the pad, but will still have accidents if left unattended, and tends to dislike potty time outside. If he can't take the dog he has to leave it for around 10 hours or so, which isn't ideal for a puppy obviously. Of course, it wasn't his expectation to be put in charge of this dog. It's kind of a tough one. I mean, I assume it's difficult for him to get someone in to let the dog out during the day.
Any advice for dual potty training the dog?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 4:24 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Jack Russell Terriers!! Please help!

Abner

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 12:07am PST 
So as circumstances go, the father of someone I know has ended up in the possession of a JRT. It's young, I don't know how young, but well under a year. I have not met this dog.

This man didn't want the dog, but had it hoisted upon him. He isn't a dog nerd by any means, and has limited basic knowledge of owning a dog, although he has owned them before. He does have poor health, but has grown to love the dog and would like to keep it if he can manage.

How can a person with limited health/energy/vision etc keep a JRT happy? This isn't my breed of choice, so I'm a bit at a loss and haven't met the dog. If you have specific suggestions on how to tire this dog out and keep it mentally stimulated while balancing his limited dog knowledge and health issues let me know!
-The dog is crate trained, but could still use a bit of help really loving the crate.
-The dog has a toy he likes that is a stump with squirrels, and he's proven that he enjoys sticking his head in to nab the squirrels
-He has been feeding the dog in the crate, and the dog does retreat into the crate when he fears being disciplined
I will try to find out more and add to this as I can.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 4:24 am

Behavior & Training > I should have asked this 8 years ago.

Abner

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 3:51am PST 
Abner always acts really apologetic when I hurt him and tries really hard to appease me, so I snuggle him and tell him sorry.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 2:39 pm

Food & Nutrition > Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Abner

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:11am PST 
I try not to snob it up, but I put a lot of effort into evaluating Abner's food if I make a switch.

I'll cop to it! When people say "Oh, he's just a dog." or "I mean, it's all the same anyway." or "It's a waste of money" in relation to the justification of feeding a low-quality kibble I do judge a bit. To me that says "I'm uneducated and would like to stay that way" and "I don't really care about my dogs that much" with stress on the latter.

We had a cat on low-quality food forever because I had no idea there was even a difference. She ended up developing struvite crystals and had expeeeeensive surgery. So, to me, it's worth it. It was her that caused the pet food switch.
[notify]
» There has since been 67 posts. Last posting by , Jun 14 10:36 am

Choosing the Right Dog > How about putting some effort into choosing a dog? A rant.
Abner

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:25pm PST 
Trigger, thank you. I thought there was no way it could be true, but puppies really are not my forte, so I had to ask.

I don't know how to talk to her again. She has no idea what she's doing with this dog. I don't want anything to happen to the puppy. I have a really hard time just giving up on the dog. Conversely, I don't wish to speak to her at all right now. I was supposed to buy her Christmas present today and I just said 'forget it.' I don't know how to make her see that
1. What she thinks she knows is wrong
2. Whether she had been right or not, it doesn't matter! She doesn't even care enough about the dog's quality of life to look into it before BAM, puppy.

She's not abusing it, she's just being a crummy animal owner. Argh.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 9:25 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How about putting some effort into choosing a dog? A rant.

Abner

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:45pm PST 
Jasper- I appreciate it, but after several years I'm kind of attached. I have learned to take care of the little weirdo, and he's kind of ridiculous. Wouldn't have been my first choice, and I don't like being 'given' pets, but he's a good guy.

Thanks for the support, guys. I just don't even want to look at her right now. I'm so beyond upset with her still. Yesterday while driving I got this text out of nowhere:

"Dog has all vaccines and boosters thx"

The point is she had no idea she needed to get a dog vaccinated in the first place, not that it ended up the dog is ok.

Also, I didn't know it was possible for a dog to be fully vaccinated at 8 weeks! I really know nothing about puppies, so help me out here.

Ugh.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 9:25 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Things you've given up for your dog

Abner

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:01pm PST 
I've given up a lot of money, as well as some of my freedom!

I'm 23! People will invite me out, and instead of being like "ehh, sure." I think "Who would watch babycakes?" I rarely go out and do anything, and if I do it's planned well in advance! I'd rather be with him anyway. He's super fun!

I gave up relaxing when I get home half the time. It's freezing out, but Abner wanted a walk. We went on a walk.

What you give up is worth having these monsters!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 8:36 pm

Abner

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:54pm PST 
wave Good to see you too! I do lurk here, I just haven't posted as much as of late.

So here's the deal. I tried having a conversation with her, and she completely attacked me, telling me what a horrible dog owner I am because Abner has car anxiety and how I never do anything about it (Umm, please.)

She said I have all the info in the world and Abner's still a s*** dog. UM, no.

I told her that even if I was a crud dog owner with info, it doesn't mean she should be one for the heck of it.

I tried to tell her it's HER responsibility to know what she needs to protect the dog from, and that it would be horrible to get a puppy and leave it with her mom for a month. She kind of guessed around as to what parvo might be, and told me that it wouldn't hurt the dog to leave it, but she's not travelling anyway. PROBLEM SOLVED.

We had a long talk about the bunny too. She's absolutely convinced it lives in the perfect bunny home now. I'm pretty convinced it's dead. She said it was in the food bin anyhow, so it would have died.

I'll admit, some moments in the conversation weren't my finest. It was not fun, and right now I don't even want to see her.

I ended up just breaking down after.

My friend is going to try to talk to her at least to help the ammimals. The puppy has a better chance at 8 weeks rather than in 8 months.

Dogsters, you give me hope for the world.

All I want to do is spend time with my flappy-jowled mutt.

I'm hoping this has a good ending.

Oh, and when I was like "YOU HAVE TOO MANY ANIMALS." she was like "I have one cat and one dog." ARGH!

Also also, she sounds like a horrible person, but she is pretty good in a lot of ways, clearly just not this one. At all.

ETA: It was SR Petco, or so I thought. I called both rescues that adopt out of there and they said it wasn't them. Maybe one of the Petsmarts? There are two here. I have no idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 9:25 pm

Abner

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:04am PST 
I know! It was a Petco adoption event and I thought that usually you got to meet the dogs, but you still had to go through an approval process.

I don't even know what to think. Should I try to convince her to put the puppy back in the rescue? It could end up in a similar home. What about her other animals?

Argh!

Toto- I'm not sure which rescue it was. She said it was the shelter, but I haven't seen the county shelter at any adoption events. I have another hunch as to which one it might be, and I've heard some mixed things about it. I don't know how I could ask her about the rescue when obviously they'd be contacting her in short order if she did say something that was amiss. It'd be obvious that I was the link.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 9:25 pm

(Page 1 of 80: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.