GO!

(Page 1 of 84: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dealing with another SD handler
Brigantia - CGC CGCA

The Baby Bear

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '14 11:50pm PST 
You're nicer than I would have been! laugh out loud

He's wrong. I get that he's probably frustrated by all the fakers, but no reason to be a jerk.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Parker, Tue 9:27 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > First Service Dog
Brigantia - CGC CGCA

The Baby Bear

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '14 12:05am PST 
I believe that most Guide Dog programs provide their services free of charge. Though there is usually a several year long waiting list. Guide Dogs for the Blind is free. Since it looks like you're in FL I did a quick Google search. This turned up Southeastern Guide Dogs. This program also provides its services free of charge.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brigantia - CGC CGCA, Oct 16 12:05 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Taking CGC any tips?

Brigantia - CGC CGCA

The Baby Bear

Barked: Wed Oct 8, '14 11:33pm PST 
Practice makes perfect! If you get a chance try practicing at the testing location.

It's pretty easy, and lots of fun. Try not to get overly stressed about it, or your pup might pick up on your anxiety. I also made sure to have some extra special goodies with me (not on me, but to the side) so when we finished they could get high value rewards.

In case you didn't know, there's also a new test, called the Community Canine, which is a step up from the CGC. It's a great, really basic test to see how the dog can function in public.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 10 12:43 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > What Breed to Get?

Brigantia - CGC CGCA

The Baby Bear

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '14 7:28pm PST 
In my opinion your best bet would be a Labrador. They're easy to train, generally sweet tempered around everything, and pretty low maintenance when it comes to grooming. Like someone else suggested a Spoodle would be worth looking into too. smile

Get a dog from wherever you feel most comfortable. For some it's a breeder, others prefer rescue. Frankly it's hard enough to get a good fit for Service work even when going with a dog from an excellent breeder, let alone when it comes to the russian roulette of picking from a shelter. Not that it can't be done, but I personally have just found it doesn't stack the odds in my favor.

Sadie, you've touched on a sore spot for me. To be blunt, you are wrong. Some dogs simply are not cut out to be SDs, no matter how much love you put into them they will never be comfortable working in public, and it is not only unkind to them but dangerous for the handler to do so. Breed DOES play a huge factor in temperament, yes, there are outliers, but each breed has a distinct personality. My Newfie will never have a burning urge to herd sheep. My hound will never feel the need to be velcroed to my hip. It's characteristics of their breeds. A good breeder not only will have outstanding examples of their breed, tested and cleared for genetic health concerns, but will be able to match the person with the puppy that will best work for their needs. A dog from a good breeder will never end up in a shelter, because the breeder is always there to take it back.

Furthermore, while shelter trainers and volunteers do their best to know the dogs in their care it's an overwhelming task. I was told that Holly did will with dogs, cats and children. She chases cats and has ongoing issues with dog reactivity. There are many issues that simply are not apparent when a dog is in the stressful shelter environment. As I said before, it isn't that there are no good candidates in shelters, but for myself, having both rescued and gotten from a breeder, I find the latter is my preference. Far less of a guessing game. Either way, rescue or breeder, do lots of research!

Best of luck with finding your candidate! They are such lifesavers and well worth all the time and effort!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brigantia - CGC CGCA, Oct 7 7:28 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog for sale on tow chains!?? Gosh, It's been between 90- 100 degrees here ;(

Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '14 5:32pm PST 
I will PM you the name of a rescue that may be able to help.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Jul 6 5:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > *****DO NOT BUY FROM KEYSTONE PUPPIES******
Holly - CGC TDI

Barked: Tue May 6, '14 4:08pm PST 
“I'd tried to straighten him out, but there's only so much you can do for a person who thinks Auschwitz is a brand of beer.”

Ah well.
[notify]
» There has since been -5 posts. Last posting by Sabi, May 7 12:52 am

Holly - CGC TDI

Barked: Tue May 6, '14 2:44pm PST 
I'm sorry you can't fathom the kind of responsibility that owning a dog entails. Believe me, I'm very in touch with reality, I know how much vet bills cost, I know how much food costs. I have financial padding to ensure that I am prepared. Things happen. I will not put my pups to sleep because they happen to end up with an ailment that "costs too much".

You are so very focused on money and how much being responsible might cost you. I wonder that you want a dog at all. Houseplants are quite cheap.
[notify]
» There has since been -3 posts. Last posting by Sabi, May 7 12:52 am

Holly - CGC TDI

Barked: Tue May 6, '14 8:30am PST 
Guest, your ignorance is on display.

Dogs are not play things. You are not entitled to have one. They are not "designer items" to be searched out for a better price. How selfish you must be to be willing to support such a cruel frankly, evil industry as puppy mills.

A good breeder cares about their pups and who gets them. Most will barely break even. They want a relationship with the owners and will be there to offer advice and coach you through any problems that arise.

Frankly I find your attitude disgusting. Dogs are complex, amazing creatures. You are not entitled to own one. If you are that concerned about money perhaps you shouldn't be looking into owning anything more worrisome than a house plant, no vet bills, and after all you wouldn't want to spend too much money on that creature who has devoted themselves to you.

I am a proud owner of two dogs, one from a shelter, the other from an excellent breeder. I would be on the street before my dogs went without. They are not just my animals. They are my partners. It'll be a cold day in hell when I forget that.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sabi, May 7 12:52 am

Get Well Soon > Scruffy is very sick

Holly - CGC TDI

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 9:21am PST 
hughughughughughughug Our thoughts are with you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Apr 11 9:21 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Reyna is dying
Holly - CGC TDI

Barked: Fri Mar 21, '14 9:32am PST 
We're sending thoughts your way. hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Dahlia, Apr 22 4:09 pm

(Page 1 of 84: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.