Postings by Artie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 994: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > How do I get through to my step sister about raw feeding?
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Apr 30, '15 1:37pm PST 
Good that she is using some fresh food to feed her dogs. There is so much conflicting information about feeding any critter, including ourselves, a lot to work through. I started out feeding 'premium' kibble, moved to grain free and back to premium when the grain free didn't work for that dog then home cooking and finally raw. Max went back to home cooked food when he was very old as well. He actually did better with grain in that cooked food as well. I am lucky in that I have the time, space and a little extra money to figure out what works best for my pets, not everybody does.

How about something like Orijen's White Paper?
http://www.acana.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/White-Paper- Revisions-CP-Feburary-11th-2012.pdf

While the vet association itself disapproves of raw feeding here is a link of some quotes from vets on feeding fresh/raw food to dogs.
http://web.archive.org/web/20110908165840/http://www.naturalpet.co .za/natural_pet_january_2010_013.htm

And last, a short article from a vet who learned to ask "and what else" when client told him that the healthy looking animal in front of him was eating something considered low quality food. Will help your SS feel better about feeding those meaty bits!
http://web.archive.org/web/20121021150658/http://www.thepetce nter.com/imtop/nutritioncomments.html
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 1 10:20 am

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding dogs raw
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '15 9:35am PST 
Apparently lots of dogs are fine eating organ once a week. I've never fed like that and I sure wouldn't start out feeding an organ meal a week either.

I introduce organ by cutting the first one up into daily rations and freezing separately. Then I take that daily amount and shave off a sliver and feed one a day. If that goes fine [and it has always gone fine so far] I feed 2 the following day and so on. I need to repeat that slow introduction for at least the first 3-4 organs as each organ has a differing nutrient profile and after that I just plop the daily ration of new organ in the dish as it comes along.

Once daily rations are fine then go ahead and try to feed 2x daily every other day, if that is fine then go for organs 2x a week and so on. Max couldn't do better than 2x every other day and I still needed to feed his bone on those days. What I ended up doing with him was feeding organ+bony meat one day and boneless meat the other.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 27 9:35 am

Dog Health > Body Condition Scoring-- is he too thin?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '15 9:25am PST 
He is a young dog, in the next couple years he will grow into his bones. Right now he has a full sized skeleton but doesn't have full muscle development yet.

Bet the people commenting on his weight have fat dogs. I am amazed at dogs that look fine with some waist and tuck that have inches of fat over the ribs. Lean is better!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Koby, Apr 28 4:27 am

Dog Health > Overweight dog loves to eat

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '15 9:15am PST 
Sassy was obsessed with food too. I used her meals to train her. I put some in puzzle toys [a simple dry milk or water bottle makes a terrific food puzzle that must be supervised] so it took longer to eat and was lots of fun for all of us to watch. I would scatter her kibble on the patio, hall way or even the lawn if I was feeling particularly evil. I would toss individual ones down the hall for her to chase down and gobble up. She never was overweight though, I kept her weight down throughout her life. Just keep her up and moving, you don't want her to work hard, remember about the dangers of bloat! An aging overweight dog is in more danger of getting bloat than younger ones.

Max got really fat on home cooking and Ginger came to us fat. Both lost the extra pounds eating raw rather than kibble. It takes a long time to lose weight, Max took over a year to go from 44 to 37 pounds and Ginger took 10 months to go from 19.5 to 14 pounds. I took Ginger to the vet's office monthly for weigh ins and as a bonus she likes to go to the vet!

I agree with Jasper, fat sates the appetite and protein builds muscle so that raw diet happens to be a good diet for a dog that needs to lose a few. Look at Wellness Core Reduced Fat to see if it fits into your budget and feed the same amount as you are now as it is 360 calories per cup and regular Wellness recipes are more like 400 and next month reduce by 10%. If there is a weight loss then keep at that level, reduce her feed any month there hasn't been any weight loss. Lots of people will mix in an equal amount of super low calorie veggies like squash, pumpkin or green beans to help the dog out a little. Ginger adores all veggies and fruits and gets treats if she stays out of the kitchen when meals are prepared, I'd do that but no bread/potatoes and other high calorie foods from the human side of the refrigerator.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Miss Scarlett, Apr 29 1:02 pm

Dog Health > Is it normal for a dog's coat to change after neutering?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '15 8:51am PST 
Max came to us with a 'spay coat'. He had super fine reddish undercoat that stuck out beyond his outer coat and lost hair clung to everything. I worked on it by removing as much undercoat as I could which vastly improved appearance but only when he got to eat higher protein, higher fat raw did it really change. I got so I didn't strip out undercoat as it was as shiny as undercoat can get and it stopped floating everywhere. Fish oil wasn't enough for Max, he needed more but that is a good start. If Kobe is on kibble I'd suggest adding a small amount of something with protein and fat daily, perhaps an egg a day to see if that helps the coat's quality any.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Koby, May 17 5:03 pm

Raw Food Diet > New member
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '15 10:33pm PST 
Simplest thing to do would be to leave out the bony meat every other day or so for now. Maybe give some bony grind and some boneless stuff for each meal if you don't think they can handle boneless meals yet.

I'd weigh out the liver and kidney before dehydrating and use exactly that amount for treats during the week to be sure the dogs are getting what they need. You could make muscle meat jerky for more treats if you need more for training purposes. Too much organ is going to complicate the transition to raw.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kody, Apr 14 12:30 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > What Lily eats

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 3:38pm PST 
Have you seen the dogaware article on liver disease?
http://dogaware.com/health/liver.html

Sassy had a wonky liver enzyme all the time and that article calmed me down every time. One off enzyme reading happens and is likely to keep on happening if the dog is fighting disease. She had kidney disease so I used diet to treat that and pretty much thought of that scary live enzyme reading as part of the loss of her kidney function.

Guess your dog is facing the real deal though.

If I did think Sassy needed a diet designed to treat her liver then I would have been using the revised GARD diet developed by Monica Segal and Dr. Jean Dodd.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100214082653/http://www.monicasegal.c om/newsletters/2007-02NL.php

I know the oatmeal and boiled chicken are pretty liver safe, don't know about the other foods but dogs need a lot of nutrition crammed into the calories they get. Max needed nearly the same nutrition as an adult human crammed into only 600 calories a day! Feeding just good wholesome food isn't going to provide enough calcium for sure as well as some other nutrients.
happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 3:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > What did your dog(s) have to eat today?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 10:22am PST 
Ginger got a raw egg mixed with ground brazilnut and a multimineral supplement this morning. Looked really gross but she even tried to lick off all the powder.

She is getting a rabbit/chicken grind that is too bony tonight then tomorrow she is getting that along with a bone free beef+organ mix grind.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 10:22 am

Raw Food Diet > Starting organs

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 10:17am PST 
Yes, start now if he is good with all that variety. Just be mindful and try hard not to push it.

Ginger, not a pup, took her sweet time with organ. She sniffed, picked it up, rolled it around in her mouth, rolled on it and so on before she decided it was food. After a week she was eating it and Max ate her tiny bit of organ so it wasn't wasted. It was all very cute but I am glad she wasn't my first dog to introduce to raw, could have been a bit stressful!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 10:17 am

Raw Food Diet > Been a Long Time, Need Help
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 10:12am PST 
Please don't give her coconut oil! While it is great for dogs that need more fat your dogs clearly don't. If she was backed up it was probably too much bone, not enough organ or not enough food to help her bowels move along.

I'd be fine with a diet of chicken and beef. I wouldn't be fine with a diet of mostly fatty beef and chicken though as my dogs are always on short rations to begin with and I would be protein starving them if they got so much fat! Really, 10 ounces of fatty hamburger has 900 calories and 42 grams of protein where 85% hamburger has 600 calories and 52 grams of protein. Max would have got only 6 ounces of the fatty stuff and then only 25 grams of protein! Can you at least pick out and toss the fattiest stuff? Can you get pork shoulder and debone it yourself so you can remove the easy fat?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 10:12 am

(Page 1 of 994: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.