Postings by Artie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 994: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > New member
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '15 10:33pm PST 
Simplest thing to do would be to leave out the bony meat every other day or so for now. Maybe give some bony grind and some boneless stuff for each meal if you don't think they can handle boneless meals yet.

I'd weigh out the liver and kidney before dehydrating and use exactly that amount for treats during the week to be sure the dogs are getting what they need. You could make muscle meat jerky for more treats if you need more for training purposes. Too much organ is going to complicate the transition to raw.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kody, Apr 14 12:30 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > What Lily eats
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 3:38pm PST 
Have you seen the dogaware article on liver disease?
http://dogaware.com/health/liver.html

Sassy had a wonky liver enzyme all the time and that article calmed me down every time. One off enzyme reading happens and is likely to keep on happening if the dog is fighting disease. She had kidney disease so I used diet to treat that and pretty much thought of that scary live enzyme reading as part of the loss of her kidney function.

Guess your dog is facing the real deal though.

If I did think Sassy needed a diet designed to treat her liver then I would have been using the revised GARD diet developed by Monica Segal and Dr. Jean Dodd.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100214082653/http://www.monicasegal.c om/newsletters/2007-02NL.php

I know the oatmeal and boiled chicken are pretty liver safe, don't know about the other foods but dogs need a lot of nutrition crammed into the calories they get. Max needed nearly the same nutrition as an adult human crammed into only 600 calories a day! Feeding just good wholesome food isn't going to provide enough calcium for sure as well as some other nutrients.
happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 3:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > What did your dog(s) have to eat today?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 10:22am PST 
Ginger got a raw egg mixed with ground brazilnut and a multimineral supplement this morning. Looked really gross but she even tried to lick off all the powder.

She is getting a rabbit/chicken grind that is too bony tonight then tomorrow she is getting that along with a bone free beef+organ mix grind.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 10:22 am

Raw Food Diet > Starting organs

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 10:17am PST 
Yes, start now if he is good with all that variety. Just be mindful and try hard not to push it.

Ginger, not a pup, took her sweet time with organ. She sniffed, picked it up, rolled it around in her mouth, rolled on it and so on before she decided it was food. After a week she was eating it and Max ate her tiny bit of organ so it wasn't wasted. It was all very cute but I am glad she wasn't my first dog to introduce to raw, could have been a bit stressful!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 10:17 am

Raw Food Diet > Been a Long Time, Need Help

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Apr 3, '15 10:12am PST 
Please don't give her coconut oil! While it is great for dogs that need more fat your dogs clearly don't. If she was backed up it was probably too much bone, not enough organ or not enough food to help her bowels move along.

I'd be fine with a diet of chicken and beef. I wouldn't be fine with a diet of mostly fatty beef and chicken though as my dogs are always on short rations to begin with and I would be protein starving them if they got so much fat! Really, 10 ounces of fatty hamburger has 900 calories and 42 grams of protein where 85% hamburger has 600 calories and 52 grams of protein. Max would have got only 6 ounces of the fatty stuff and then only 25 grams of protein! Can you at least pick out and toss the fattiest stuff? Can you get pork shoulder and debone it yourself so you can remove the easy fat?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 3 10:12 am

Raw Food Diet > Advice - Recent Aggression
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Mar 13, '15 12:14pm PST 
I'd go further and keep them completely separated at all times. Food happens. My dogs got into a scuffle over a dried up tortilla left in a jacket that was hung next to the front door, stupid things like that could set him off. Keep a leash on each dog for control when they are in the same room, keep them shut away from one another when they aren't supervised and so on.

I'd get both dogs to the vet in case something is going on physically. Max allowed Sassy to jump on him and take his comfy bed until she was pretty wobbly then he started telling her off in the usual loud scary dog manner. No blood but it sure jangles the nerves!

I always knew to feed dogs out of sight of one another and pick up the bowls right after but preparing their meals with them out of the room is a really good idea as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Mar 13 12:14 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > balanced recipe? new to this

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '15 8:44am PST 
Just canned oysters. My local GS has several brands even.

Ginger wasn't thrilled about kidney. She loved the smell and rolled in it for a couple days, then she mouthed it and finally ate it. I was just giving her a tiny bit and Max cleaned it up so it wasn't wasted anyway.

Flaxseed bothered Sassy and I have avoided it since but it is good for some dogs. Sardines good, even better if you can find unsalted ones but those usually cost the earth. You can use salmon or mackerel as well.

Okay, I will post a recipe that works out to be more balanced to see what you think.
This one is pretty good. Add water to cook the oats plus that little bit of sardine and oysters is a good idea. Maybe it would be even better with ground beef.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/3096148/2
Yup, it's better for Ginger except too many calories, I'd have to use leaner meat.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/3275253/2

I'll work on my pressure cooked chicken recipe as right now it needs minerals added. One puts the whole bird into a pot and cooks until meat is done. Bone it, reserve meat and broth for later, return bones to pot and add fresh water and cook long and slow. Bones will be soft enough to pierce with a fork inside 24 hours. Put the bones and cooking liquid through a food processor or blender until a smooth gravy/paste and mix with the meats. Pretty nifty. It takes equal amounts of beef, pork and chicken and it lasted Ginger for about 3 months.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/1673345/2
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, Mar 5 6:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Starting a puppy on raw, hasn't been going well?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Mar 1, '15 9:26am PST 
Mostly agree with Mulder but I would even go further and only offer ground chicken and bone for a few days until his infant gut recovers from too much variety too soon. You could try breast quarters smashed up well and cut to meal size though.

Liver is high purine. Raw fed Dals usually get fed chicken, dairy and veggies with little or no liver. I'd be looking for a good forum with raw fed Dals on it. Nearly all Dals have that defect but not all Dals form crystals or stones. You are being really proactive, something else to do might be have his urine checked for crystals regularly to catch a problem before it starts and do regular pH checks of his urine as it is a particular pH that allows crystallization to occur. There is a DNA test but unless your pup is of the new sort that was crossed with pointers there probably isn't any reason to believe he wouldn't have that defect.

Keep his system really hydrated, that helps with any sort of kidney problem. If you decide to go with kibble then add an equivalent amount of water so he is forced to drink quite a bit of water as he eats. I put water in Ginger's raw food so she drinks as well. Some dogs don't have as easy a time drinking enough water for some reason and she and Sassy are a couple that don't/didn't drink enough for good health.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Mar 1 9:26 am

Raw Food Diet > Reducing Meal Sizes

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '15 12:22pm PST 
I did! A couple of other long time raw fed dogsters have found the same thing. First gorges didn't settle then big bones were not tolerated and finally ground stuff upset him. Max ate pressure cooked pureed chicken bone mixed with chicken meat-skin/pork/hamburger and some rice his last year and was happy as a clam. Even pureed veggies weren't as well tolerated as rice. It definitely was raw that bothered him, not the fat or the protein, I tried every which way I could think up.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Feb 27 11:22 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > The Westie Diet...
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '15 12:18pm PST 
A lot of work but it sure paid off, good job.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Feb 27 12:18 pm

(Page 1 of 994: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.