Postings by Artie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 989: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > 6 months in and puking yellow fluid
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '14 11:22am PST 
Max was a horrible bile vomiter on kibble and stopped having tummy problems until he was very old. When he was old he stopped tolerating raw so I cooked for him. Since he didn't have a tummy ache after any cooked meal and did after raw it certainly wasn't food poisoning! On kibble I just gave him a bedtime snack, perhaps feeding the dogs 3x a day would help?

A diet of chicken, a little liver and some veggies isn't very good. Even if chicken is the only meat your dogs tolerate that is way too much bone and not enough organ meat. Dogs need 10% of the diet to be bone and feeding almost all chicken is 30% bone. Chicken is low in a number of essential nutrients as well where red meat contains more of them. Unless you can either figure out exactly what supplements to add and bone half the chicken or feed half bony chicken and half boneless pork/beef/lamb/venison/other red meat the dogs aren't going to be at their best. Also increase the liver fed and add in another organ like spleen, thyroid or kidney to 5% liver and 5% other organ of the diet. If they really need 2 pounds a day then that is 1.6 ounces liver and 1.6 ounces kidney/spleen. I like at least half the liver to be beef liver as well.

I hope the problem is too much bone and not enough copper, zinc, iron and such rather than starting to not tolerate the raw diet. They do not have food poisoning, even a 30% bone diet is very unlikely to cause blockages, it is unlikely a dog fed commercially raised meat will get parasites and nobody here has ever reported getting sick from a raw fed dog. No parasites here, nobody sick and never a blockage in nearly 7 years!
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Sun 11:22 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Food Amounts
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '14 4:25pm PST 
The very best way is to look at the bag of kibble to find out how many calories in a cup then look at the bag of rice and the hamburger wrapping to see how many calories in the batch of food you made up then divide by the calories in a cup of the kibble you feed.

As in kibble=400 calories, a cup of rice=600 calories and a 1/2 pound of hamburger=800 calories. I am making these numbers up! The rice and hamburger adds up to 1400 calories so you would divide by 3 to get the amount he gets for a whole day and by 6 to get the amount per meal. The actual weight varies depending on how much water you use so this is more accurate.

If you don't have the calories from the food packaging then look it up on nutritiondata.com or the USDAA website. Look for sneaky spaces if this won't cut and paste correctly. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Fri 4:25 pm

Raw Food Diet > Substituting?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 8:54am PST 
From what I have seen premades may not be made to add meat to but they are too bony. Even so you would be stuck feeding half premade and half meaty stuff/some organ. Expensive!

What about getting a hammer and smashing the bony bit up? You could cut things like chicken necks or ribs into small chunks for him. Marinate the yucky chicken bony stuff in pork/beef juices?

Turkey wings are for dogs that are good at crunching up bone, not for dogs getting used to raw. Turkey necks are super yummy, perhaps he would want to eat one of those?
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Dec 18 8:54 am

Raw Food Diet > Two 9 year olds and one 1 year old...should I switch them to raw feeding?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 8:47am PST 
Max stopped tolerating raw when he was 13 years old so I started cooking for him. Possibly your older dogs would do the same. Cooking is a lot of work and also worth it. I actually fed him the same way I did on raw with the addition of some grain as he did better with rice than pureed veggies. Same chicken, beef, pork, organs! I even cooked the chicken bones slowly so they could be pureed in the food processor so he got real bone!

I hope I never have to feed my dog commercial food again. Fresh food is much better so long as you are able to do it right. Ginger is currently thriving on it same as Max did for 5 years.

Go for it! Read and plan and virtual shop until you are sure you understand how it is done first.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Dec 18 8:47 am

Raw Food Diet > Skin problems despite clean diet

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 8:40am PST 
Bet it is environmental allergy. Ginger has flea allergy and raw hasn't helped that at all! I do give her vitamin E and fish oil same as I would a dog fed any other way. She gets a bath half way between Comfortis pills that seem to help her as well.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Dec 18 8:40 am

Raw Food Diet > am i eating to much?
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 8:33am PST 
Just keep your hands on him to be sure you aren't overfeeding him if he is digesting all that food okay. You want to easily feel all his ribs, backbone, chest bone, shoulder blades and hip bones but not see any but a few back ribs.

An older dog might need the extra food but more likely he just wants to get as much of it inside as he can while it is available. Unless he starts bile vomiting I would feed to condition rather than desire. My dogs have always wanted to eat more than they were given but they would get fat if I did that.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Dec 18 8:33 am

Raw Food Diet > How much do you spend on raw?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 8:26am PST 
Ginger is 14 pounds and gets 4-5 ounces of raw food a day. I just put a cap on spending at $2.50 a pound so the most I would spend is $25 a month. It is much less as I do things like get a lot of her raw meaty bones from whole chickens I cut myself. She gets the giblets, back and ribs after I cut away the breast meat. A half breast rib section or back is a couple days of bone for her so the bone I cut from chicken is enough for 7 days including the neck. Helps a lot.

Around here chicken can be had at $1 a pound, pork $2 a pound, organs, $2 a pound and beef is usually $3-4 a pound. It can work out.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Pepper,Little Duke, KoaKoa, Dec 19 1:07 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Recipe cookbook

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '14 11:09am PST 
Ginger ate cooked food all summer long.

5 pound chicken, cooked until done and boned. Meat chopped and mixed with cooking liquid. Skin used if dog is skinny, removed if dog doesn't need it.

Bones of chicken plus some water placed in crock pot and put into the garage to cook until a fork could be put through the long bones. Bones and cooking liquid processed into a thick smooth gravy. Usually there will be a few bits that won't break up, remove them!

5 pounds of pork shoulder cooked until done and chopped, again leave fat on for skinny dogs and take away much of it for chubby ones.
5 pounds of 85% lean ground beef cooked until done.
5 pounds of assorted veggies cooked and pureed. If you find that isn't enough bulk then you can always add more as you go through the prepared food.
1 pound of beef liver cooked and chopped.

Mix all ingredients together in a really big bowl or tub and pack in 2 day sized rations. Ginger got 4 ounces a day so packed up into 8-9 ounce foil packs.

I probably could have mixed this in before packing up but didn't. I probably ought to have added taurine in but I didn't. You can add in a B complex before serving if your dog would take it. That yeast is an excellent source of B vitamins as well.
Per 2 days of food.
1 multimineral tablet
Bit of zinc supplement [trying for 15mg]
5 grams of ground brazilnut for more selenium
This amount works for my dogs on perpetual diets, probably need less if your dog gets more food a day.

Once a week she also gets a vitamin E capsule and a fish oil capsule. I wish I could remember to use real fish but that never seems to happen so this works better for me. Larger dogs would need them more often of course.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Oct 12 11:09 am

Raw Food Diet > Non-raw foods compatible with raw diet

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '14 10:53am PST 
If you don't want to use rice you can do the same thing with pureed veggies. There are some very expensive dried meat/bone/organ products out there you could use too like Ziwi Peak and Real Meat.

Why do you need to leave food out for the dog?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kitty, Oct 22 4:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > raw food diet causing my dog high kidney BUN levels?
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '14 7:05pm PST 
Hi, I would be worried too! The creatinine is fine though and the high BUN can 'just' indicate extreme dehydration though. Check urine concentration as well. Take a sample of first urine of the day to the vet. If the urine is well concentrated then the kidneys may be just fine. If the urine is dilute then the kidneys are dumping water in an effort to reduce irritating toxins and the dog will be chronically dehydrated.

How much water is your guy taking in daily? Ginger never seems to drink water so she gets soup for all her meals and am hoping that is keeping her sufficiently hydrated. Dogs that pant or are stressed at the vet can get dehydrated very quickly too. I haven't ever checked to see how much Ginger should be drinking daily, I know 42 pound Sassy needed just about a quart a day. Dividing that might mean Ginger ought to be getting about 1.5 cups of water a day. Yup, here is that site, c/t and take out any hidden spaces in the address. http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/h2o.htm

This diet is low in a few minerals and vitamins. For Ginger I would need to double the amount of calcium added and also add in some phosphorus but I couldn't be sure that is right for your smaller dog who may be eating more/less calories per pound of dog. Ginger is 14 pounds and needs about 500mg of calcium and 400mg of phosphorus in about 200 calories and 15 grams of protein, 23 grams more acceptable. She wouldn't get enough zinc, iron, copper, selenium, manganese, thiamine, panothenic acid, vitamin E and even B12 which is easy to come by in a raw diet. She would be getting a lot of protein, 30 grams which is nice.

Using beef liver and more beef than chicken would be a big help to making this diet better. Beef is far richer in minerals and vitamins than chicken, even chicken liver.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 2 8:36 pm

(Page 1 of 989: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.