Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Behavior & Training > Big news from the scoop!
Madison

Don't disturb me- I'm on fly- patrol!

Barked: Sat Feb 15, '14 5:58am PST 
Well if they plan on trying to revitalize the forums they better get on it. There are few left and most have one foot out the door. New people aren't going to show up with the state of the forums in what they are. It looks trashy with all the spam here and like someone else said everything here is pretty dated. I'm in the one foot out the door camp, I originally came here years ago for the education and I learned soo much here that I don't think I would have learned any where else. If the posts are few and far between and riddled with spam then obviously the point of coming here has dropped off as well. Now I'm sticking around to see what happens, to see what Tiller comes up with and to see if they clean up these forums. I still think I've got lots to learn from y'all.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 7:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Training a Sensative Dog
Madison

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 6:11am PST 
Great idea it didn't occur to me to use a marker word. Thanks for the suggestion!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 26 5:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Training a Sensative Dog

Madison

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 3:22pm PST 
I'm in need of a bit of help and this may be long so forgive me. Jackie was found last Feburary at the high school I teach at in rural East Texas. I took her home with the intent of letting my sister in law take her where she volunteers with a dog rescue group and knows a lot people in that circle. Long story short Jackie has become my parents dog. She has not come without her issues being a stray in east Texas it's no surprise. Pregnant, heart worm positive, and upon X-rays before heart worm treatment it was disocvered she has bird shot in her from being shot by a shotgun. It's been a difficult 6 months for Jackie. Because of her life she's very sensitive. She will greet any one she meets, nosing them to pet her and putting her head on their lap. However a sudden hand movement to pet her will send her to flatten like a pancake or a run across the room.Sudden movements of your hand, loud noises, harsh tones in voices and forget your foot coming near her, it will send her cowering in fear. She has come far since she first came to us learning people going to hurt her. Anyways I have a very vested interest in her since he lived with me for a month before my parents took her. It is now time to teach her basic commands. Since I am familiar with clicker training my parents asked me to give it a shot on trying it with her and then teaching them how to do it. I've read how it gives dogs confidence and I thought that's exactly what she needs. Tried it and failed miserably. One click sent her cowering across the room, tried it a little bit so she would see the click equals yummy treats. I tried to wrap it in a dish cloth still scared her and I didn't want to push her and make her always fear a clicker. I tried a pop up lid of a can of hot sauce as I've read dogs scared of the clicker might tolerate these more as thry are softer sounding. That still scared her. Once again I didn't want to push her so I stopped. How can I condition her to not be so scared of the clicking noise. Or should I try a different method of training? If a different method of training is required can you recommend a positive training book that doesn't use a clicker. If we stick with clicker training I'll probably tell my parents to get the power of positive dog training. That sound good? So what should my parents do? How do they get her to not be so scared of everything new. We've had a GSD mix and Maddison the lab mix sensitive was/is not a word in our dog training vocabulary.

Another quick question. I do clicker training with Madison and she's got her basic commands and a few tricks down. Now that its summer and I have no kids to stress me out, papers to gradeand I get to leave at 3:15 every day and have every Friday off. I have alot more time to devot to training. I kind of what to do so more trick training because its so darn fun! But I'm open to anything that'll be a fun to do in the late afternoon. Any books you can recommend that are more than your basic commands and tricks. I very much appreciate the help with both recommendations.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jun 26 5:45 pm

Dog Health > Much Needed Weight Gain For A Mother Dog

Madison

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 7:40am PST 
I was a sucker and a couple months ago I picked up a stray dog that kept hanging around the school I teach at. My 7th period class named her Jackie.

Shes was a stray so she came to me pregnant and heartworm positive. This is not surprising in rural SE TX. Took her to the vet they said no meds or vaccines until the puppies were weaned. The vet was also pretty unhelpful and kept asking questions that you wouldnt know about a stray. What's her breed, she's a stray your guess is as good as mine, Do you know her age, she's a stray... Do you know who the father is she's a stray that I've had for a week I have no a clue lady!

Anyways despite feeding a lot multiple times a day she is still very skinny. The puppies are an adorable 5 weeks and are very healthy, energetic and playful. I'm worried about this lack of weight gain especially since the puppies will soon be weaned and she will be going through a lot. Heartworm treatment which I've read can be hard on the body then a spay. The vet said heartworm treatment will start as soon as the puppies are weaned but I want Jackie to be a good weight when we start it. It's not that she has lost weight besides the obvious loss of weight of birthing 7 puppies. It's more she doesn't gain weight. So any advice on feeding something different or doing more? She eats TOTW puppy food 3 times a day. She doesn't have loose stools or anything. Eats all her food, drinks good.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 17 4:34 pm

Dog Health > Ginger Really Needs Your Positive Thoughts/Prayers

Ginger

Head of Ranch- Security

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 3:35pm PST 
We have decided that its no kind of life taking not being able to walk at all and the vet doesn't think she'll improve. My parents are going to call the vet and see if they can put her down tonight. This is the worst day ever. So close to Christmas I bought her a new bed that she'll never get to enjoy. I know she is old but I thought we would have another few good years. She is still sharp as a tack. Shes my first dog. This just, it just sucks. I came home and Madison wanted to play tug with her rope bone like we always do and I just couldn't do it. This isn't fair.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Dec 21 9:14 pm

Ginger

Head of Ranch- Security

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:05pm PST 
The X-ray came up clean. The vet believes that she had a stroke. He said that it is unlikely she'll gain back any use of her legs. He said shes not in any pain and we could take her home with meds with hope that she might regain the use of legs its unlikely but stranger things have happened. Or the second option is to put her down. We are going to have a family conference this evening to talk about it. This really sucks.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Dec 21 9:14 pm

Ginger

Head of Ranch- Security

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:12pm PST 
Ginger is spending the night at the E-Vet tonight after my mom came home today and found Ginger unable to get up and use her legs.

Ginger does not live with me but I do still never much consider her my dog as we got her on my birthday when I was in 3rd grade so I pretty much grew up with this dog and she has been in my family for over half my life.

According to my parents she'll curl her toes if you mess with the hair between her toes which the vet said was significant but he didnt say good or bad and my parents were too worried to ask. They are giving her anti-inflammatories and steriods tonight and will watch her tonight. They will be doing xrays in the morning. Of course the possible list of things the vet mentioned it could be were all very serious, life ending issues we are just hoping it is none of those things and hopefully something treatable. Shes 14 and so shes pretty old but beside dental problems and hearing loss she is a healthy dog who has shown no signs of anything wrong.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , Dec 21 9:14 pm

Behavior & Training > How to Deal with a Dog Going Deaf

Madison

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 4:45pm PST 
Howdy guys, Ginger is currently 14 a real old lady. She has been slowly loosing her hearing. I am wondering how we can deal with this training wise and most importantly saftey for her and people around her. Disturbing a dog that does not know your there is a good way to get bit. So how can we work around that? Do they make vibration collars? The other issue is what about her safetey? The other day I was unloading stuff from my truck and left the door open and the dogs were following me in and out of the house. No biggie I do it all the time. Well when it comes time to be done I don't know where Ging was so I called loudly. I thought she wandered inside but I could not find her. Turns out she was on the other side of the truck next to a bush smelling it. So I'm wondering what could I do. So visual cues for training, vibration collar? I have not a clue on dealing with a deaf dog thankfully she still has some hearing if you are near enough she responds normally. I'm more concerned if the trend of deafness continues.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 4 10:21 pm

Dog Health > Flea Bite Relief

Madison

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 7:32am PST 
Thanks for the responses. Zoie I'd love to look at the expiration date but unfortunately the box got thrown away. The dogs get fed TOTW. We have some good oatmeal shampoo because Madison used to get dry itchy skin but I wasn't sure that you could bathe dogs with frontline on them. I know they can get wet I wasn't sure about the soap part.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 16 8:14 am

Dog Health > Flea Bite Relief
Madison

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 5:19pm PST 
Hey guys it's been a long bit since I been around here. Anyways we baby sat my brothers dog for a week and we didn't know but he had fleas.The dogs got fleas. They got Ginger and got her quick and bad. She has bites all on her belly and under her back legs. They seem to bother her a lot more than Madison. She try's to itch and lick them a lot. I can't be with her 24 hours she's already licked a bit of hair off her belly. I put frontline on her and hopefully that will work frontline has been hit or miss with us but we had some laying around. Anybody know of anthing I can put on her to help ease her itching so she doesn'tt irritate her skin more?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 16 8:14 am

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.