Postings by Dingo's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > tummy issues when changing food
Dingo

Leader of the- Dog Gestapo

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 12:34am PST 
Some dogs just have sensitive tummies, but it could also be the food you're switching to. What are you switching to/from?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jobi, Jan 12 6:50 am

Dog Health > Does neutering stunt growth?
Dingo

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 12:29am PST 
What Toto said smile

Dingo was a pediatric neuter - the shelter sterilized him at 2 months of age, because of their policy of only adopting out fixed dogs. He is a shepherd mix, but has very long legs and fairly slender. Our previous vet explained to us that the bone elongation and his moderate hip dysplasia were both likely caused by the early neuter
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jackson, Jan 14 12:10 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Action: Don't give dogs as Christmas gifts!

Shiloh

Throw the- Squeaky Bone. Do- It Now.

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 12:22am PST 
(Yes, a little late, but I won't tell if you don't smile )

I won't say that I DISagree with you, but I think that a dog can make a good Christmas gift if the adoption is well planned and properly thought out, especially since around Christmas is when dogs seem to be dumped in greater numbers and shelters strain to keep up.

The sad fact is ANY dog can be 'thrown away' at ANY time. I was the recipient of one such animal. The family got a cute puppy that turned into a high energy, nervous dog that was too much for them.

I would say that I agree with 'don't give a dog as an impulse gift'.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dora, Jan 15 7:50 am

Behavior & Training > My dachshund pees when new people/my roommate walk in the door?

Dingo

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:09pm PST 
Is she scared or excited?

My brother in law had a Jack Russell mix who did it out of excitement. They resorted to diapers because they couldn't keep him calm ALL the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Zoey, Oct 18 6:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Why do malamutes howl?

Dingo

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 2:23pm PST 
Dingo doesn't look like it, but he has a husky/mal howl-moan. Usually it's reserved for the ambulance/fire dept sirens (we live near a busy highway), but sometimes he does it at us humans, especially when he wants our attention. Normally it goes like this:

Pick up toy, drop it in human's lap.
Being ignored. Pick it up and drop it again. Sit and look expectant.
One last pick up and drop. Stand looking adorable. Maybe lick human's hand.
Let them know you're there: Arooorooorooo
Toy still not being thrown. Arooorooorooo
Work up to the full howl. Awoooooooo

I can sometimes get him to howl with me, but mostly he looks at me like I'm stupid. I imagine him saying something like "You're doing it wrong."
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 29 7:54 pm

Dog Health > I CAN'T GET RID OF THE FLEAS
Dingo

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 8:32pm PST 
Dingo is always plagued by fleas too. We salt our carpets with regular table salt and spray our yard. I make a spray on flea repellent of lemon peels, water, rosemary, garlic and witch hazel which is effective if you apply it every few days.

With a big infestation, the biggest thing is controlling the environment first. Fleas on feed on your dog but they live in your house and yard. Most flea meds kill the flea only after it has bitten your dog, so applying the meds and not treating your house and yard - yep, even if your yard is shared and dog doesn't go out there much - is inviting generations of fleas immune to the meds you're using. Its doubly important to treat yards and under the skirts of trailer homes because they tend to be not as sealed, with more chance for breeding under the house and coming in.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gunner, Jul 24 9:18 pm

Food & Nutrition > Is it Just Us?

Dingo

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 4:01pm PST 
Higher quality food doesn't coat kibble in as much fat as cheapo brand stuff, which makes it less palatable dry. I always added water when we fed kibble, and sometimes plain low-fat yogurt or scrambled eggs. Watch out for nonfat yogurt - some brands add more sugar to make up for the loss in taste due to no fat.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Kato, Jun 21 1:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > How much does raw cost you per month?

Dingo

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 6:34pm PST 
If things keep going like they have (I'm only a week into raw), we'll be spending about $45-50 a month to feed two 30 lbs pups and the 65 lb shepherd. So far, I've found liver for $2/lb, snagged 3 lbs of pork for ~$1.60 total in the bargain bin and I buy whole organ-in chickens to make the bulk, which we don't pay more than $0.65-0.70/lb for. Sams down here also has great deals on bulk eggs, which I cook and offer for the morning snack, since my guys eat their meat in the afternoon.

I practically haunt the mark-down bins. A local grocery store has crazy sales on "bad" meat, so I've commandeered our chest freezer and stock up. Hubby's fries and ice cream can live in the house freezer big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Apr 8 7:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Sending a dog away for training? Bootcamp?

Shiloh

Throw the- Squeaky Bone. Do- It Now.

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 4:43pm PST 
Shiloh went to a boot camp. They spent $800 for a company to board him for a number of weeks and train him. Of course, they wanted him trained because he was a high energy, high prey drive dog who never got the stimulation he needed. He went to boot camp with all the problems a high energy/no outlet dog has and came back to them with all that and now the added issues of biting children and fear of adult men (possibly preexisting and exacerbated). Worth the $800!! The price tag also included training sessions with the family and an in-home consultation, I think.

From what I can gather, the training facility used dominance based philosophy, a huge no-no with Iggy mixes anyway shock

I took him a year ago and we've only had one issue with him ever: he likes to eat paper anything.

shrug What can you do?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jun 5 6:47 am

Raw Food Diet > Has anyone fed Swai Fillets?
Dingo

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 4:35pm PST 
I used to cook it a bit in the microwave and stuff Kongs with it. It smelled faintly of catfish, and the dogs loved it but because it was farmed in Asia I only used it rarely and eventually stopped.

If you want fish, I get tinned sardines in water for $1.50 for 5oz
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jun 4 7:57 pm

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.