Postings by Sonny's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 349: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Worried no other dog will live up to her...
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 2:44pm PST 
Tiller,
I can't help but laugh at your Cocker story. My first Labrador was like that, she should retrieve till she dropped. Frisbee, ball, stick, anything! My second Lab was a different story. I tried to teach her. I rewarded her for bringing back the toy. Nothing doing.

Every time she would go get it the first time and bring it back.
The second time with less gusto.
By the third time she gave me the look that said, "Go ahead, but you have to get it yourself this time."
I have 3 dogs now and none of them will fetch.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jan 14 2:44 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Suggested dog types?
Candy- 4/13/99 - 2/8/09

Beware! dog- can't control- her licker!

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 2:36pm PST 
Toss out all your notions about picking a dog. You don't. The dog and cat that live with your now do.

Lets face it, you could pick an awesome dog, only to find out it chases the cat and your Frenchie hates it.

I must have taken Candy to see a dozen or more dogs before we found Snickers, totally by accident. But Candy loved him and he loved her right away. They were a perfect match and he was heartbroken when she died.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Setiv, Jan 14 8:43 pm

Behavior & Training > New dog 9mo and some questions.

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 9:32am PST 
How long have you had him?
I'm going to guess less than 2 weeks.

It can take about 2-4 weeks for a dog to get used to the routine and settle in. Until then, consider all his behavior as temporary and sub jest to change.
Get him into a good routine. Reward him for behavior you like, including just quietly lying down.
Try food dispensing toys that are easy to use. Like the Amaze-a-Ball. Offer antlers, hooves or large raw bones to chew on.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Leila, Jan 10 7:30 am

Behavior & Training > not responding to commands

Pepper

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 9:26am PST 
This is one of most common complaints in the "not listening" department. The run away dog. frown

You didn't mention what training has been done for recall. Have you heard of the really reliable recall?
Booklet

Until you feel your dog will come when called, you have to live by 2 rules:
1 Don't let your dog loose.
2 If your dog does get loose - don't bother calling it. (Don't use your recall word)
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Jan 9 1:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Humping-excitement or anxiety?

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 9:16am PST 
It tends to be excitement and or dominance. In the case you mention, it was probably both.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jan 9 9:16 am

Behavior & Training > Problems with a Dobie boy.
Pepper

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 5:38pm PST 
I agree he needs to be managed as others posted.

He's also only 7 months old. This is a beginning of adolescence and he may even become more challenging in the next year and a half. His self control went out the window when hormones came into play. Neutering may not solve his behavioral issues, BUT I hate that your BF won't neuter his dog. (I am starting to think men should only have females! I have a male friend who is waffling about neutering his GSD)
I would suggest keeping him on a NILIF plan and be very firm with his behavior.
Get back into training classes with him as a couple. It's good for him to know that other dogs and people in the room mean "time to pay attention and work".
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Jan 5 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Merging two methods

Pepper

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 5:28pm PST 
Have you considered volunteering at a shelter?
Walking and training shelter dogs is a huge challenge. You get the full mixed bag. Dogs with different personalities temperaments and drives. Adjusting to those differences is a challenge.

Most are food driven, but not for the same foods.
Some are toy driven. If it squeaks - YEAH! Bounces - woopie!
Some are nose driven.
Some are travelers and can't wait to go for a walk.
Some are snugglers and enjoy a quiet time away from their barking kennel mates.

Thinking outside the box becomes easier if you do so regularly.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Terry, Jan 9 8:03 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Worried no other dog will live up to her...

Pepper

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 5:13pm PST 
I don't ever want a copy (not that it's possible anyway) In the past 25 years I have had about 25 dogs pass through my home. My own, "guests" and foster dogs. No two were alike. Some I enjoyed, some I didn't.

There is one that my kids and I say was the "perfect dog".

Uh, wait, she didn't start out perfect....
She was hard to potty train.
We had to watch her in the yard because she would dig trenches (we found out why later)
She was 18 months old when she pulled up a chunk of berber carpet 4 inches wide and 3 feet long. We came home after 2 hours at church to see a long tan strand of yarn across the family room floor. My Pit mix (Woofie) with a face that said, "Didn't do it." And Candy suddenly slinking away cause her girlfriend sold her out.

A year later Woofie was gone and Candy had to buck up and be the dog of the house.

She did a great job. She was well behaved with company and when we took her places. She was a nanny dog at the dog park to young or small dogs. She was always gentle and not too forward with children. She never did like to 'Fetch'. But we had the only mole free yard in the neighborhood because she hunted them in the woods and did them in before they tunneled further. ( All her trenches as a puppy paid off). My boys dressed her in capes and rolled on the floor with her and she slept in the tent with them when they camped in the yard.

She was the perfect dog - eventually.
When she was almost 10 years old she died of a brain tumor. She left 4 humans and one dog heartbroken.

I have equally sweet stories about the dogs that came before her and after her.

A few things to consider:
I have learned more from my dogs than they ever learned from me.
My current dogs have a better, more experienced, and therefore different owner than my early dogs had.

Final note - our first foster dog was a Chocolate Labrador. It bothered me that I kept hearing she was "just like Candy". She was nothing like Candy! She didn't look like her, not as confident, she didn't play like her. To me she was like night and day. But to others she was another female Chocolate Lab - the same.
No matter how much another dog might look like Lupi, or act as well behaved, you, who know her best will see the differences more than the similarities.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jan 14 2:44 pm

Dog Health > Worried and Angry About Lab Left Outside

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 4:33pm PST 
I live in Connecticut where the law just got extra tough on tethering and leaving pets out in bad weather. Does your town or state have such laws?

As for AC and police, they may not do anything until you become more of a hassle than dealing with your nasty neighbors.

Document, document! Film, pictures, and note times and dates. Especially if they aren't bringing any food or water to the dog.

I can imagine your frustration. I don't understand why some people have pets.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 13 1:58 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Another Suspected Faker
Pepper

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 8:39pm PST 
I can see where OP is coming from. All it takes is one bad experience to make it hard on everyone else. If the Weim had soiled the floor or some other huge breach in etiquette, it makes it very difficult on the next, genuine SD team that tries to go in the store.

I live near Fidelco training facility and many families in the area foster puppies and train some of the dogs. I see vested working dogs all the time and know to leave them be while working. They are welcome in town because they are well behaved and set a good example. If one goes rouge, all the trainers and dogs will suffer for it.

I have also seen a few people with happy little dogs in their cart with red vests on. How dumb do they think we are? I know that little noise maker didn't pass his CGC, he hates everybody!

I never thought to say anything, but the store managers can't, so maybe I should.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Jan 6 10:36 am

(Page 1 of 349: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.