Postings by Maggie (I'm Moms Angel Now)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 85: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > How many shelters do this and do those of you who work in rescue think its a good idea?
Casper

Just cause I'm- big dont mean- I'm mean

Barked: Tue May 26, '15 9:49pm PST 
The shelter that I am fostering Casper for does a foster to adopt program for people who are considering adopting one of their dogs. The prospective owners can have the dog for five days and if the dog fits with their family for that week then they can opt to adopt the dog and give it a forever home. They have had a LOT of adoptions since I brought Casper home for fostering. He needed a lot of one on one work because he doesnt trust people since he was never really interacted with in his former home. He is doing well here and loves to learn new commands. He is working on learning to look to me when he sees another dog while we are out on walks. What I was wondering is if you think that this is a good idea and if the shelters and rescues that you work with do this or if ours is the only one with the foster to adopt program?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, Tue 9:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Foster dog potty issue
Casper

Barked: Tue May 26, '15 9:36pm PST 
I think it was just his testing the boundaries. I am really proud of him though. When I first brought him home Casper didnt even know how to sit let alone what the word meant. Now he understands about 11 different commands. He is pretty much good about being in the house at night as long as he goes in his crate. He was unknown with cats when I brought him home but he loves my cats. Good with small dogs and loves attention. FINALLY found a treat that doesnt make him sick but I saw where people have posted about not giving this company's treats. I found that Dogswell lamb and Duck hip and joint treats do not make him sick but I read some posts where people said to steer clear of these treats. He is doing good on lead and is fine in the car as long as he is crated.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, Tue 9:36 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Cease selling all prong dog training collars and related abusive devices forever

Katana - (fallen not- forgotten)

Katana's the- name and- pleasin's the- game

Barked: Tue May 26, '15 1:04pm PST 
I used a prong collar when my husband's Doberman Service Dog Katana was alive to help teach him specific commands that he needed to be reminded of now and then. It was also useful in keeping him out of danger a couple times due to another person's negligence. I am using a shock collar with Isis the dog we are dog sitting to teach her to stay in our yard because our neighbors don't like to keep their dog aggressive pit bull on a leash and in their own yard like the courts ordered them to do a few years back. I never have to buzz Isis I only have to use the tone on her and she turns and comes back to me and sits down at my side. I would have to get building permits to even put up a fence in this town. Any training device like a prong collar or even the martingale collars can be dangerous if used the wrong way but if used correctly they are just that a tool for training
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katana (fallen not forgotten), Tue 1:04 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Has anyone ever felt like this?

Casper

Barked: Tue May 26, '15 10:30am PST 
Almost three years ago I lost my beloved husky Maggie to brain cancer. I have her urn in my curio cabinet in my living room next to my kitten Ebony's urn. I did some volunteer work at the local shelter last fall and met the dog who I am currently fostering. When I first met Casper I could almost feel Maggie beside me saying "mom you need to help this boy like you helped me. Its time to open your heart to a new love." I had to wait till Feb.11 this year to bring him home as a foster but the day I did Maggie's sign a hawk flew over the car after I picked Casper up after class. I felt like it was her way of saying "Now mom you can start helping him and start healing." I just wonder if anyone else has ever felt this way or if it is just me.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, Tue 10:30 am

Behavior & Training > Foster dog potty issue

Casper

Barked: Mon May 25, '15 10:03pm PST 
My family is fostering a neutered male white German Shepherd Belgian Malinois mix for a local shelter. He was not house trained when we brought him home three months ago but in less than a month he was house trained and crate trained. He has always been good about letting us know he has to potty and we take him out right then. We bought a woven wire outdoor kennel run for him and have to padlock it because someone keeps trying to steal him. The floor of the run is concrete to make it easier to clean. Tonight Casper came in with no problems and after Tank, Bella, Garnet, Blaize and Isis came in (Isis is the puppy we are puppysitting) Casper suddenly decided to pee in his crate. I am sick and my husband was already in bed so I scolded Casper for doing this. He hasnt done it for quite a while. He was the first one brought in tonight and has been the first one in for the last few weeks. He has not done this in two months so I was a little upset. What can be done for this issue? The only thing that has changed is that when we first brought him home he was sleeping in Bella's crate till we got him one that is a lot bigger for him and is in an area where he cannot see the window when it storms as he fears storms and is on meds for that. I dont want to send him back to the shelter as I have come a long way with him in three months and am really focused on helping him overcome his problems that he has like not being too friendly with other dogs. Not any trouble with my dogs though.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Casper, Tue 9:36 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Just starting out.....
Casper

Barked: Mon May 25, '15 9:26pm PST 
Have your daughter in law look into a white German Shepherd or white German Shepherd mix the are really smart and well mannered dogs if treated right. Casper my foster is a white German Shepherd mix and I adore him he is very smart and wants to please me. I may end up adopting him as he fits in with the rest of my pack wonderfully. He has his problems but we are working through them. He has been doing wonderful with everything except that he just came in from outside and although he has been housebroken for over 2 months he just peed in his crate.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, Mon 9:26 pm

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > Anyone else having trouble with pmails and friend requests?

Isis

I am way too- cute for my- stripes

Barked: Tue May 19, '15 5:35pm PST 
I tried to add a few pics to Isis's page yesterday and tried to send a paw mail today and couldnt do either one. Its a big pain in the tail
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Afro Ken, Fri 6:56 am

Choosing the Right Dog > looking for breed ideas

Casper

Barked: Tue May 19, '15 12:49pm PST 
Yoshi why not look into a White German Shepherd Dog? I never thought I would want one but then I met my buddy Casper that I am currently fostering from a local shelter. He is a White GSD mix but he is such a laid back boy. I have been fostering him since February of this year and he has been a true joy other than his storm fear which he is being treated with meds for. He may end up becoming a foster failure for me if things keep going. He has been doing well with his training and in less than two months was fully house trained crate trained. We have learned that he cannot have chicken as he is apparently allergic to it though.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, May 19 12:49 pm

Grooming > Please help me pick a collar color?

Isis

I am way too- cute for my- stripes

Barked: Tue May 19, '15 12:36pm PST 
Isis the puppy that we are puppy sitting has a light mint green cheetah print collar that I bought for her as she had out grown the other one that she had that I bought as she didnt have a collar when they started bringing her over to visit. It looks really cute against her golden brindle fur. Bella my Service dog has a light pink collar with the breast cancer ribbon pattern on it plus a cheetah print collar, Demon my pit bull wears a purple collar, Tundra wears a pink cheetah print collar, Hailie wears a purple collar, Drizzits is black, Garnet's is pink camo, Blaize's is light beige with multi colored skulls, Cheveyo's is a camo hunt collar and Casper is wearing a camo collar. I say pick what you think looks the best against her markings. Tank, Bella's brother has on a blue collar and Maggie my late husky had a red collar that now is wrapped around the base of her urn.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Isis, May 19 12:36 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Camping with SD
Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

I'm a Queen who- works like a- pesant

Barked: Tue May 19, '15 12:25pm PST 
I'll add in one other thing and that would be the doggie first aid kit. I doubt that the camp would be prepared for any emergencies concerning your dog, should they arise, so make sure that you carry a first aid kit for your dog and for yourself. My husband and I have taken Tank and Bella out on hikes and made sure that we had boots so that their paw pads didnt get torn up on the trails so that is another thing you might want to look at.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, May 19 12:25 pm

(Page 1 of 85: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.