Postings by My Family

GO!

Australian Cattle Dog > Possible dog for a novice owner?

Hachiko

I fetch if I- want to.....

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 11:53am PST 
I just came by my first Australian Cattle Dog a few weeks ago. I've known people with ACDs and their dogs before. One of the best known was the late YZ, pet of Roxanne Sitarz, who was a canine blood donor dog in South Florida for many years. YZ was a sweet, friendly, docile dog who went to work every day with his owner and who liked everyone.

Prior to being adopted by my ACD, I have had a large rough collie male for two years and HE loves everyone and everything. He likes his vet and is stoic about procedures,....which helps since he's around 100 pounds and not fat, either.

The ACD was left on my porch...a 7 month old throwaway. He's been to the vet a few times and was neutered last week and loves the people at the animal hospital. I'd like to say that I'm responsible for his social skills but I'm not. I think he's just naturally good natured and any socialization he got in early life was courtesy of his former master.

So, yes, they can be darlings or devils. We have been blessed here at our wildlife habitat with wonderful dogs. If you get one and are able, take your dog to puppy kindergarten and any sessions permitting a pup to be around other pups and people. Oh, and good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 29 11:12 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Is my dog an ACD?
Hachiko

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 11:09am PST 
It looks like your baby has some ACD in him all right. Have you considered DNA testing?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 31 6:45 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Aggressive or Assertive?

Hachiko

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 11:04am PST 
I feel really strange posting this but Hachi has had me for two weeks now and hasn't been a problem at all. Someone tossed him out of a car late one night and he's about 7 months old. Had him neutered last week. He's such an agreeable fellow so far....doesn't try to herd people. He sometimes tries it with our much-larger collie who doesn't take it seriously but he's not biter. Some say that Hachi got lucky coming to our door. I think the rest of us got lucky that he did so!

blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 26 9:16 pm

Dogs & Travel > flying a dog by itself in cargo

Orry

A collie CAN!

Barked: Sun Dec 14, '08 10:04am PST 
My dog came from Joplin MO to Springfield by car and then to Atlanta via Delta. Delta made sure that he got his connecting flight on time to Augusta. Their hold is climate controlled and all went smoothly. Orry had no food or water in his crate but that's ok. He would only have made a mess and he made up for it when he got to Augusta. I should note that he's a bit claustrophobic about crates, dog houses, and such today. I think he's afraid we'll return him to Missouri. We could have driven about 150 miles to Atlanta but it was only a hundred and some odd dollars more to have him catch a commuter flight and, if we'd driven to Altanta, we'd still be lost and searching for the airport.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 10:04 am

Collie > Puppy Pre-Purchase Questions

Orry

A collie CAN!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 12:39am PST 
The thing to be careful with is products containing ivermectin which is a common wormer/heartwormer. If a collie is mutant...as many are...an overdose can lead to seizures and even death.

I hadn't had a dog since 1986 when I got Orry last year. It began in January when I took a class in pet parenting and first aid with our cats in mind. The teacher brought her Australian cattle dog with her and I fell in love. For months I researched breeds with a view to selling our Hurricane Wilma wrecked Florida condo and acquiring a home in another, a REAL, place. In July we sold and I had piles of breed books stacked up with my thoughts turned to rough collie. I had fostered one for a year in the 1970s and known people well who had collies. When we bought a single family home in Georgia on nearly an acre with half that fenced with 6 and a half foot chain link I returned to Florida to pack up and give notice and to finalize the deal to purchase Orry, a Missouri pup I'd seen on Next Day Pets.

Orry's breeder, a lady with only one collie, could not have been nicer and I still send her updates on her baby. And we've been very happy with Orry who was 14 weeks when he flew here to meet us. He spent a few weeks living at LaQuinta with us and two cats in a single room and the hotel wholeheartedly approved the pup.

Now. at 15 months, I won't say that Orry is perfect but he is a great dog. He helps tend injured wildlife and is a friend to every living thing. He's no interest in traffic....we live down a dirt road in the country....and he seldom barks. He did chomp a few unplugged electric cords and trashed his dad's remote as well as destroy a set of earphones but, by and large, we got off easily. He's a good kid. His bio-dad, Wild Crusader, is known for his huge size and for his sweet nature.

Each puppy is different. Orry is a Beta and only needs a gentle reminder now and then that humans are the Alpha-wolves.

Bob Weatherwax, son of Rudd Weatherwax, original owner of "Lassie" gives phone consultations to dog owners with problems.
bob@weatherwaxtraineddogs.com

And I think you'd call Lassie a tri-factored sable collie.

A word of warning. Many dogs will chase birds unless the bird is in a sturdy cage. And a large bird such as a parrot can kill an annoying small animal. (I had a parrot once, long before I got a dog.)

Collies can be work but I think they are worth it.

dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 31 12:39 am

Behavior & Training > How would you let your dog know he did wrong in this situation
Orry

A collie CAN!

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 9:52am PST 
When puppies bite each other too hard the rest of the pack ignores them and the transgressor is, for a time, an outcast. That hurts a pack animal so the pup learns what proper behavior is. With pups which are chronic nippers an Alpha roll PLUS the drill wherein the Alpha dog, (the human) prepares his food and pretends to eat a part of it prior to letting the pup have it shows him his place in the scheme of things.....he's a Beta.

I've heard a LOT of bad reports on dog parks (we don't go there as we live in the country) and I think a better idea would be to network with other dog owners and create play dates with them and their dogs. The owners could socialize at one another's houses while the dogs play. Something like an obedience class at PetSmart might be a good beginning for locating local people who have trained dogs.

A bite to the face is serious and sometimes prone to be repeated. Cockers, for example, are notorious for biting just beneath the eye. In this case let's hope it was a single instance of misplaced/transferred aggression.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 28 11:13 am

Puppy Place > i'm a disaster....help my mom!

Orry

A collie CAN!

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '08 7:10pm PST 
I'm an almost nine month old collie and big as a pony. Crates my size would take an entire room...which we don't have for that purpose. My mom has gotten off easy with me, I think. I ate a corner of dad's favorite chair and mom's newly planted cherry tree. I also ate the phone line from the pole outside and the wiring to the old security system. I never bother things in the room mom and I share even when confined there alone (as I always am when the humans go out.) Mom ended up puting wire fencing around the power pole out back and also around the air conditioner as I was about to eat that for a snack. She's had to fasten the bottom to the fencing to cement blocks buried beneath the ground and sprinkle moth balls around the pole and that is a turn-off to my sensitive nose. I was house trained at 3 months, tho, and should leave off chewing things when my teething is over. Meanwhile, mom gives me ice cubes to chew every day and I LOVE ice.

cheer

Dad doesn't try to teach me anything but that's ok. I'm mom's dog. She picked me and she does stuff with me every day. It would be doubly difficult if I were dad's pup and he ignored me and wanted mom to do the same. I am, after all, family.

It sounds as if your bf is afraid the doggie will bond with you instead of with him. I think I'd find a new bf who's not so insecure.
wishes
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 27 12:17 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.