Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 44: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Grooming > Breeder said she uses Bath and Body Works body wash for her pups...?
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Seize life by- the big stick!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:38am PST 
I have to second Toto's comment. I've tried all types of dog shampoos on Marlowe, trying to find one that doesn't strip the oils out of his coat, but still makes his curls crisp. Several of the dog shampoos left him itchy, but at the suggestion of a handler, I tried a mix of a Pantene shine shampoo and Pantene for curly hair, and he looks great without any skin irritation.

If it works, don't knock it. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Oct 29 7:41 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Would possibly be the ugliest dog ever created!!
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 10:55am PST 
In the rush to get our new Smooth Collie spayed before she came back into heat, I sat around with some friends and tried to imagine what a Curly-Coated Retriever/Collie litter would look like.

Curly hair? Straight hair? Single coat or double? Snow's got one recessive Rough gene, so would that manifest in the puppies? What colors would they be??

What about the head? Narrow or wide? What would the eyes look like? What if the top jaw was more influence by one parent than the bottom jaw? Would the ears be up or down or some combination thereof?

We finally decided that CurlaCollies would be just about the ugliest darn dogs in the world, and were so happy that she was quickly spayed and there was no possibility of an "oops" between these two. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Aug 26 10:59 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Please Sign This Petition To Stop Puppy Mills

Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 3:04am PST 
Everything Happy and Lilith said x2!

I did foster/transport work with a very high-kill shelter, and I can count the number of times I saw purebred dogs--excepting pit bulls from the local fighting rings--without taking off my shoes. None of them were show quality. In my experience, the problem with dogs in this country is Joe Blow allowing his unaltered dog to run loose, not people actively trying to breed better dogs.

I do know that sometimes well-bred dogs end up in rescue, but I would count it the exception rather than the rule. And I have heard stories about hardcore rescue types not returning owner-surrendered dogs to their breeders, even though the original sales contract specified that the breeder had right of first refusal, and the breeder is actively trying to get the dog back from them. That's the kind of crap that happens when you lump all breeders together and demonize them.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 12 11:58 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Please Sign This Petition To Stop Puppy Mills

Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 2:16am PST 
In addition, I would like to point out how silly the argument is that if all the breeders would stop breeding, suddenly everything would be fine. Really?? Because what, no one cares how big their puppy is going to get, or if it will be good with kids, or if it is prone to high prey drive, or if it sheds, or if it produces a ton of dander? Suddenly, everyone will rush out and get whatever shelter dog they can find, and it will fit perfectly into their lives, and everyone will live happily ever after with sunshine and rainbows and lollipops?

Breeds exist for a reason. Because some people need a dog that doesn't aggrevate their allergies. Or can guard their livestock. Or can pass the 30-lb weight limit at their condo. And you can't have breeds without good breeders working every day to improve the breed they love. And they can't do that if the USDA (which is dedicated to AGRICULTURE, ie livestock, not pets) won't allow them to sell puppies or if the AR nuts convince everyone that buying a puppy from any breeder, even a good one, is tantamount to murder. It's such bullcrap. If everyone goes out and adopts spayed/neutered dogs from shelters and no one ever breeds again, then that's the end of dogs, period.

Puppy mills are usually USDA licensed, which means they enjoy the tacit approval of our government, pay a lot in taxes, and yes, are a huge money-maker for the AKC. I have some ideas on how to get rid of them, but it largely involves a cultural shift, and the increased involvement of breed parent clubs, not legislation.

In my perfect world, every puppy would be born into a responsible breeder's home (not easily sterilized, BTW), lovingly socialized, and at an appropriate age, would go out to carefully selected homes that were waiting for them before they were even born. This legislation just makes that more difficult without really addressing puppy mills at all.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Aug 12 11:58 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Is My Husband Asking for Too Much in a Dog Breed?

Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 6:16pm PST 
I just wanted to thank everyone for the input and give an update. Saturday, we brought home Snow, a 5-yr-old Smooth Collie, and she's fitting in beautifully. There's such a contrast between her and Marlowe, lol! She's incredibly low-key, easy-going, and happy wherever she happens to be, whether it's out on a walk or just laying around. And she's absolutely the sweetest dog I've ever met, just walking up with wags and resting her head in your lap or giving toe kisses. laugh out loud

She definitely doesn't have Marlowe's intensity or NEED for interaction, which my husband is happy with. She's only been here a few days, but she seems to check all the boxes he wanted, with the possible exception of training quickly and easily, but that may just be the fact that she's settling in. Once she's recovered from her spay, they're starting basic manners classes, so we'll see how it goes from there. Right now, he's just trying to clicker train a sit...and she keeps giving us beautiful, perfect stacks instead. big laugh

Just for the contrast, right now, the Curly is laying as close to my feet as possible, alternately sleeping, squeaking his toy over and over again, and standing up to rest his chin on my arm while I type. The Collie is laying in hall, sleeping, and only coming in when we move or do something new. When we go outside, the Collie checks out stuff in the yard, then comes back to the people for love. The Curly finds the nearest tennis ball and drops it at the feet of the nearest person repeatedly until someone throws it for him. And although Curlies are definitely the most elegant of the retrievers, Snow does everything so gracefully and delicately, she makes Marlowe look like a bull in a china shop.

I'm definitely still firmly in the Curly camp (I LIKE Marlowe's quirks and obsessive tendencies), but Snow's really growing on me, and she's already fitting into the house like she's always been here. I'm so happy to have a two-dog household again after so many years! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 6:16 pm

Sports & Agility > Personal protection dogs of unusual breeds? Yes or no?
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 10:14pm PST 
I have a Curly-Coated Retriever that will wrap his mouth around my arm and play-growl if I say, "Marlowe, Schutzhund!". Does that count?? big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 27 10:14 pm

Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 9:56pm PST 
Thanks for the input, everyone! I think we've settled on the smooth collie, and have found a 5-yr-old retired champion female a few hours away that we're going to go meet in a couple of weeks. The breeder says she's just what we're looking for, has been well-socialized with kids, cats, and other dogs, playful but easy-going, and would love to have her own family. My husband's so excited that he called home at lunch to see if I'd heard anything new about her. dancing

And yes, I realize that a lot of the criteria are training issues, but there is a genetic basis for the ease of training certain behaviors. Kids and dogs should always be supervised, but some breeds seem to have an instinctual knowledge of what to do around them while others do not. Marlowe's grandfather was 5 years old and had never seen anyone under 20 when the breeder had her first grandchild, but he knew exactly how to act around the baby and then the toddler. Marlowe's only been around children in public, but knew at 7 months old (when he was usually a terror) to calmly lay down in the middle of PetsMart so a tiny 3-yr-old boy could pet him without being scared. A lady at my KC meeting tonight used to own a Collie, and said she'd let the dog and her toddler out in the yard together and tell the dog to keep the kid away from the fence. The dog kept the toddler at least 3 feet from the fence at all times and would not let any strangers in the yard. Sounds like the perfect family dog to me. These aren't trained behaviors, but something the dogs just know.

Also, it's a lot easier to train a retriever or a herding dog to be reliable off-leash than it is a sighthound. wink

I have to agree about the drive vs. trainability conundrum, though. I like working with Marlowe because he likes to work, i.e. has drive. Hubby sees it as, "He's only working because you're going to throw the ball for him," whereas I see it as, "Cool! He'll do anything if I'll just throw the ball for him!" I think once he's actually trying to train behaviors himself, he'll appreciate the role of easy motivators like food a lot more. laugh out loud And the good news is that I have no problem taking on the extra training and responsibilities of a second dog if his interest fades (It's what I was planning on anyway before he decided he wanted the second dog to be "his"). Besides, I think that if the dog has enough interest to do Rally or Agility, hubby could get hooked big time, which would be awesome! Then I could drag him along to classes and shows, and he'd actually have something to do. laugh out loud Sounds like a win-win to me.

LOL, Tiller, loved the video of the ES. Hubby would KILL HIM, not love him...jumping on counters + obsessive interest in the pie = very obnoxious in his book. I think it's kind of charming...at someone else's house. wink Of course, I have the dog that begs for me to get out the laser pointer so he can chase the little red dot even though he's clearly aware that I'm creating it, so I guess it all comes down to individual preferences on which flavor of crazy to live with. big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 6:16 pm

Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 2:31pm PST 
Thanks everyone! We considered the GSD and the Dobe, but worry about being able to bring them everywhere and have them be around our in-laws' animals when we go on vacation. I know SSA can be an issue with GSDs, and I'm worried about them with our cats. Besides, it's such a minefield trying to find a dog in that breed right now. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dobes, but hubby doesn't want a dog that people are going to be afraid of, and there's still a lot of prejudice towards Dobes by people not familiar with the breed or dogs in general (basically, our entire family).

Standard poodle has been considered, and hasn't been rejected. If we kept it clipped short, that would be fine. I haven't spent enough time around them to really get a feel for them. At shows, they seem so self-possessed and aloof, but I know they can be big, goofy clowns.

I asked him again about the repetition, and he back-pedaled a little. He said the important thing is that the dog does commands because he asks it to, not because it's expecting rewards. (I asked him if he'd still go to work if they weren't giving him a paycheck, but I don't think it really sank in. wink)

Whoever said "stuffed animal" might be on to something! BOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 6:16 pm

Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 10:44am PST 
Hey everyone, haven't been on in a while, but am in a dilemma and thought I'd drop in and ask the smart people on here.

We're looking for a second dog to help keep Marlowe company and to be more my husband's dog, since Marlowe is very much "mine". I had assumed we'd get another Curly, but he's decided that there are things about Marlowe he doesn't want in "his" dog. Soooooo, let the new breed search begin!

His Criteria:

--Very smart and trainable, learns new things quickly
--Low/medium grooming requirements
--Not a drooler
--Absolutely perfect with kids of all ages, intuitive understanding of how to behave around them
--Friendly but low-key with strange people, very affectionate with family
--Able to go pretty much anywhere and be around strange people, dogs, and other animals without drama
--Able to be off-leash without running off
--Calm in the house
--NO Obsessive ball/herding/play/working drive; Marlowe is obsessed with retrieving, and hubby hates that he won't just hang out and chill if there's even the slightest chance we might throw something for him. (I just congratulate myself on having a proper retriever. wink)
--People are the most important thing to the dog. Hubby wants to be the absolute center of the dog's universe, and wants his approval to be as much or more of a motivator than food or other rewards. He wants a dog that lives and breathes to make his people happy, and is just as happy to perform a command the 100th time as the first.

I told him that he's asking too much, that most breeds were bred for a specific purpose and have those internal drives that need to be satisfied outside of just doing what the people want to do. Of course, I think Marlowe, in all of his quirky, pushy, serious, goofy, independent, sweet, obsessive, give-you-the-middle-finger-if-you-ask-for-the-same-command-too-many- times glory, is the perfect dog, so I'm biased.

We've been through the breed lists and keep coming back to Smooth Collies and Golden Retrievers, but I've met Goldens that were hell on wheels. I've never been around Collies.

Any thoughts on how these breeds match up, or suggestions of breeds we may have missed?
[notify]
» There has since been 46 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 6:16 pm

Sports & Agility > First AKC Points!!!
Marlowe, RN,- CGC

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 5:18pm PST 
Thanks everyone! I was totally stoked! happy dance

This weekend, Marlowe was super awesome at the Richmond IABCA show, and received all V1 ratings, so he's now an IABCA International Champion! And for the last show, he took Group 1! So proud of my baby boy! cloud 9

Wish us luck; next weekend we're off to try and finish up the last two legs of his Rally Novice title. Hoping to start agility classes over the summer. He's going to be one educated pup by the time I'm done with him. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 18 5:18 pm

(Page 1 of 44: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.