Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Behavior & Training > Does having another dog help an unsocialized dog?
Sati

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 10:09am PST 
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 7:41 am

Sati

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 10:06am PST 
So we found a dog that fit with Sati. The Humane Society tried a couple new dogs and this one took to her right away and she showed interest in playing with him. I brought him home this morning and I cannot believe the difference in Sati. Within a half an hour they were running and frolicking in the backyard, I have never seen her do this. She is coming out to interact more and this is in a couple of hours! I honestly can't stop smiling at how she is reacting to having him here, he is just a sweet boy. Thank you all for the advice and I am glad I took the time to find the right fit.

His name is Raven but my husband wants to change it, lol.

[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 7:41 am

Food & Nutrition > What do you feed your dog and why did you choose that brand?

Sati

Barked: Sun Dec 1, '13 6:25am PST 
Send emails to companies you are interested in through their "contact us" link on their websites and ask for samples. I did this when I switched to premiums and it was wonderful. Some brands sell the little 2lb sample bags also. I also recommend dogfoodadvisor.com, great site with lots of info.

The best kibble I have found is Orijen, made in Canada. They do no outsource anything and get all their ingredients locally. I only have 1 place that carries it around me and they are an hour away so I don't get there too often. I have discovered it on-line at Amazon and Only Natural Pet Store. It is a bit pricier and may be too rich for some dogs, so I suggest the sample bag to see how your little one takes to it. Check out their website and see what you think.

Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 15 6:41 am

Food & Nutrition > Rotation diet??

Sati

Barked: Sun Dec 1, '13 6:16am PST 
I used a rotation diet with Samson and he seemed to really like it. Sati doesn't seem to mind and the cats enjoy it also. I stay with a few premium brands that are close in protien %, etc. and have not had a problem. To me it seems to keep their interest in the food from month to month, but that could just be me smile I know I would get bored eating the same thing month after month.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 1 6:38 pm

Sati

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 8:44am PST 
The dogs we were going to try Sati with have been adopted so as of now we are not getting another, but the girls there are going to keep an out when they get new dogs in. I am going with fate that it wasn't meant to be right now and am happy those dogs found homes.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 8 7:41 am

Sati

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 4:08pm PST 
Thank you all for the advice you have given, it has helped a lot. smile

The daycare we take her to is the same building as the Humane Society we got her from, it works well because she already knew the people there so wasn't as afraid. She loves going there and the more we take her the happier she seems. They have agreed to help us by putting Sati in with some dogs that would fit our house and her personality and see how she takes to them.

They put her with a 4 year old pomeranian, and a 4 month old lab mix. The lab was adorable but I think she will get too big. The pomeranian took to Sati well and is a cute little thing. I am taking her tomorrow and they will be able to leave them together longer and also try a 6 yr old pug/beagle mix.

The girls there are really being great about helping us and I am hoping this is the right way to do it.

Again, thank you all for the helpful advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 7:41 am

Sati

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 12:18pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. We are still thinking it over and may wait awhile longer to see how she develops further, but it is definitely something we are considering in the future. She has really good days (today), and some days where she seems to go backwards, but I guess that is to be expected.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 7:41 am

Sati

Barked: Sat Nov 16, '13 6:17am PST 
Hi all. Sati was adopted 4 months ago and is making great progress, but still carries a lot of anxiety. We are giving her natural supplements to help with her nerves and know she may never fully come around.
We took her to a professional dog trainer/behaviorist who thought she may have been a puppy mill type dog after talking with us and watching her reactions. We really have no history before humane society we adopted her from so it is all a blank.

She doesn't know how to play but has taken to leash walking very well and likes to run around when I am with her. She seems scared of men and children and basically any public area with lots of people. She is mostly fine with me and the girls where she goes to doggy daycare a couple times a week.

I was wondering if having another dog that has more confidence would help a dog like her? I have never had a dog like her and want to do everything we can to help her come out of her shell.

Any advice would be appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 7:41 am

American Eskimo Dog > Am I really an American Eskimo mix?

Sati

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 9:19am PST 
Hi. This is Sati. We just adopted her and they posted her as an American Eskimo mix. Since we don't know a lot about that breed I was wondering if you agreed with that assessment?
Thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 9:19 am

Choosing the Right Dog > American Eskimo mix info
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 5:20am PST 
Thank you Arya. The humane society where she is at has cats running around all over and they said she shies away from them. They have also never heard her bark and she seems very mellow. She has been there a month and was transferred from another shelter. They really don't have any history on her.

I have seen shy dogs, but never this timid. They said she was adopted out last week by an older couple but they brought her back because of her timidness. I have to wonder what happened to her in her past to make her this way. Once she starts to warm up she is a sweetie and I think it will take time and patience to bring her out of her shell.

I am taking my husband to meet her today and see what he thinks. I told him it is just more than petting she needs, we both need to work to build her trust. I took in a dog that was abused once and help rehabilitate him so he could find a new home, but I am not trained and it has been so long ago.

What you describe and everything I have read on these types of dogs sounds wonderful and I hope one day she will act like that, I am just not sure what it is going to take to get there.

Thanks for your help and we will see how it goes today smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 5:20 am

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.