Postings by Ember FDX's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 467: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Non-raw foods compatible with raw diet
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Sep 15, '14 1:11pm PST 
For a dog with no health issues, use whatever you want. All that is fine.

If you switched over allergy concerns, for instance, you want to make sure your treats followed the same rules as your diet. So if you went grain free, you need only grain free treats. If you're on a two ingredient elimination diet you need treats made from only those two ingredients. And so on.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Duke, Fri 10:19 pm

Siberian Husky > Husky growth
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '14 8:19pm PST 
They stop growing upward by 2 years, although most still fill out a bit. They will reach almost full size by 8 months/1 year - most growth after that is not significant.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Sep 10 8:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > What did your dog(s) have to eat today?

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '14 1:29pm PST 
So far just beef kidney. Haven't figured out an evening meal yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Sep 10 1:00 am

Siberian Husky > Husky dog and cats?

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '14 3:34pm PST 
It has little to do with training. Ultimately most Huskies have intense prey drive and make poor housemates for any other species (although I did ok with a hedgehog). You can hedge your bets with training and management, as in taking care with introductions and emphasizing that cats are not be chased. This is not foolproof and will not work on many, many dogs, though. Even if raised together from the time he is a puppy.

This is true of any breed or mix, but as with most traits, certain breeds are more less inclined to act certain ways. Huskies typically have very strong prey drive. 2 of my 3 are practiced cat killers, the other grew up with a 30lb Maine Coon and loved cats, but I could still see the inner battle with his prey drive with smaller cats or any cat who moved away from him.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Aug 8 3:34 pm

Raw Food Diet > Loosing weight on raw food

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '14 3:48pm PST 
Chicken and rice is not a raw diet. Are you trying to go straight onto a raw diet, or are you working on an elimation diet first? What you need to do depends somewhat on which way you're heading. In any case the biggest factor in weight loss is that fewer calories are being consumed than are being used. So more calories! Depending on how long a dog has been eating only chicken and rice, nutritional problems could be in play as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 2 8:48 pm

Dog Health > Please HELP We are DESPERSATE, Wound will NOT Heal on Puppy *PICTURES*
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '14 3:41pm PST 
I have not dealt with the disease myself, but in doing some quick research it looks like there are lab tests that can give a definitive diagnosis. I would definitely pursue that.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Jul 12 3:41 pm

Raw Food Diet > Too much bone?

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Jul 12, '14 12:27pm PST 
By raw definition, organs secrete something. So liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas, are the ones most people can get. Heart is just muscle - it has a different nutrient profile than regular muscle, and cannot be fed in large quantities, but it isn't organ either. Same to lung, which I believe is dangerously high on certain vitamins. I found bulk raw lung for like 15 cents/lb once, but the amount I could use was so small it wasn't worth it.

A lot of dogs are not fond of organs at first. There are several strategies that have been discussed at length on Dogster (run a forum search). In summary, the best methods seem to be either pureeing them or buying puréed product and mixing with something high value like yogurt and raw eggs to make them more appealing. Or cook them, gradually reducing the amount of time you cook until the dog is used to eating them raw. Pan searing works best for this.

Most premade products are balanced as far as organs go, so premade will not cover organs in a supplemental sense. Some brands have organ-heavy products (Bravo and BRB come to mind) that you can use to balance a DIY diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Jul 12 12:27 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog for sale on tow chains!?? Gosh, It's been between 90- 100 degrees here ;(

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '14 2:10pm PST 
Your link does not work for me, so I cannot see photos. Going off the post alone, there is nothing inherently cruel about a chain. Many dogs will snap or chew ropes or cables, making high tensel chain the safest way to contain them. What matters is how the yard is set up and what the rest of their day involves.

Existing in 100F is not inherently cruel, either. Dogs long predate air conditioning. Again, what matters is the rest of the set up. Is it well ventilated with access to shade and clean water? Or is the dog just staked out on a short line in the middle of a sunny yard?

Having a lot of dogs or selling dogs is not illegal, either. Some towns will require a kennel liscence to have more than a certain number, but most likely they will have that base covered.

If there is cruelty happening, you need to document it and submit evidence with your complaint. That is the only way that anything will happen. If they are not breaking a law, law enforcement has no business there, regardless of how many complaints are made. No one can come in and just make them stop doing what they are doing because you don't like it. And for petes sake do NOT go in and buy their dogs in the name of "rescue!!"
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Jul 6 5:32 pm

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '14 1:51pm PST 
Dogster was being weird last night, but I wanted to add a thought regarding drumsticks... There's nothing inherently wrong with them, if your dog handles them well. They can be too small or too much bone at once for some. In any case, it's probably more cost effective to just buy whole leg quarters and cut them up yourself. You can split them into a drum, thigh, and portion of back. Around here it's cheaper per lb and they go on sale all time too.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Jul 12 12:27 pm

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '14 2:48am PST 
Should I ALWAYS freeze my meat? Not just salmon and pork?

If you're buying from a grocery store, the meat has most likely been frozen already for shipping. Most grocers cut their own meat. That aside, mass farmed meat isn't likely to carry anything dangerous anyway. You only have to freeze wild salmon from the Pacific Northwest (which includes all salmonoids, like trout, as well). Farmed fish are fine. Mass farmed pork is free from trich in most places, and even if it weren't, freezing won't kill it anyway.

Would you guys feed tyson brand chicken drum sticks to dogs? Or tyson anything? I've done the gizzards and hearts from them before.

Most of what I've seen of that brand is enhanced with a saline solution, so I'd check carefully. Gizzards and livers usually are not. If you check the label and it isn't, then no worries. This seems to be somewhat regional - I know people who can't find unenhanced pork, which I've never even seen.

How much is too much bone?

More than 10% overall. A thigh a day and nothing else would be too much.

When they have the split of proper eating percentages, is that over time? Like more bone one meal, more meat another? Something like that.

Most people balance over time, but really it depends on your dog. Some can't handle having much variation in bone content, or a meal of primarily organs. Those dogs will need more balance daily than those who can have no-bone days and eat their entire weekly allotment of liver and kidney in one sitting.

What do you guys recommend for 25 pound dogs?
She chews her food very well, no allergies, and isn't picky.

Whatever is working. Seems like she's pretty flexible.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Jul 12 12:27 pm

(Page 1 of 467: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.