Postings by Freya 's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > Teaching Polite Greeting Skills
Ivan

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '14 11:16am PST 
Thank you very much for your response Mulder! I wouldn't have thought of the idea of making him back up and then try again. And I definitely agree, the less time he has to continue the bad behavior, the better!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ivan, Oct 23 11:16 am

Behavior & Training > Teaching Polite Greeting Skills
Ivan

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '14 4:25pm PST 
Hi all!

I haven't been around here for a very long while but I am trying to get serious about my dog's training and I would appreciate your advice.

I am trying to come up with a step-by-step process for teaching my boy Ivan to CALMLY allow people to pet him. He is a friendly dog, but very big and clumsy and extremely easily overstimulated. He has been around lots of people and usually completely ignores them if they ignore him. He is not a shy or suspicious type of dog. However, here's what normally happens when people try to pet him.

I'll have him out somewhere and someone will ask if they can pet him. I'll say something like, "Maybe, he's got bad greeting manners and will probably try to jump on you or mouth you so wait for him to...."

"OH I DON'T MIND REALLY!"

Then they start petting, he pops up from his sit, bounces and spins his rear end around and bumps them with it, puts his mouth on their hands, or sometimes their hand in his mouth, sometimes jumps or paws (although I've gotten quicker at catching that in time).

I want to get him CGC certified and I know this is going to be our biggest challenge.

I am thinking of either:

Simply telling people not to pet him, in all situations, and then re-training sit and adding people touching him way down the road as a distraction which he will be expected to ignore.

Searching for savvy people who can follow directions and only pet him when his butt is on the ground and his mouth is closed. This does make me nervous, though, because he's big and I do not want him to hurt anyone, even inadvertently. As bad as this behavior sounds this is actually a major improvement from when he was a puppy.

Thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ivan, Oct 23 11:16 am

Behavior & Training > Need Advice on Puppy!!

Ivan

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '14 4:03pm PST 
Lucy, your post sounds so familiar! I went through a lot of the same stuff with Ivan. He was a nightmare, so much more work than my other two shepherds. You've been given some really great advice by Mulder!

I just wanted to add that it does get better the more you work on it and the more maturity they gain. I wanted a puppy for years and then when I finally got Ivan I just couldn't wait for him to GROW UP! He's chilled out a lot, but he's never going to be soft and sensitive to my moods like my other dogs are.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ivan, Oct 22 4:03 pm

Dogs & Travel > Rest Area Etiquette

Ribby, CGC,- TT

The WhineMaster- (registered- trademark)

Barked: Wed Mar 17, '10 7:33pm PST 
What if your car doesn't have A/C? Luckily we do now, but my first car didn't have A/C, and the one after that had it, but the car would overheat if the A/C was on when the car wasn't moving.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Chloe, KPA-CTP, May 14 10:53 am

Dogs & Travel > Rest Area Etiquette

Ribby, CGC,- TT

Barked: Tue Mar 16, '10 10:41pm PST 
Last Summer Ribby and I went on a 10 hour road trip down to California. It was just the two of us. Halfway down, we stopped at a rest area, I had to use the rest room and I wasn't sure what to do with her. It was too hot to leave her in the car with the windows up. I don't like the idea of leaving her in the car with the windows down, or of tying her to a post outside the restroom unattended.

I ended up asking a rest area attendant if she would hold Ribb's leash while I used the Restroom, but she pointed out a Handicapped restroom and told me to take Ribb in with me. I don't know if that would normally be allowed.... what are you supposed to do with a dog if you are traveling alone and it's too hot to leave the dog in the car?
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Chloe, KPA-CTP, May 14 10:53 am

Dog Health > Dry Nose Leather
Ribby, CGC,- TT

Barked: Sun Jan 31, '10 6:11pm PST 
I didn't know that, Leah. What is Lupus? She seems healthy in every other way. Today someone asked me if she was a puppy smile She will be nine next month.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Fredy, Jan 31 6:19 pm

Dog Health > Worried.

Ribby, CGC,- TT

Barked: Thu Jan 28, '10 12:39pm PST 
Both of my dogs twitch in their sleep, I assume they are dreaming. Freya will usually "run" (each leg twitches in rhythm) and make tiny high pitched puppy barking noises, and Ribby is much more intense with facial twitching. Sometimes she will actually grimace or pull her lips back, and often her eyes are halfway open so it is pretty creepy looking. But she always wakes up, stretches, and goes back to sleep. I always wonder what it is that they are dreaming about.

If your dog seems freaked out upon waking, it could be a nightmare....or it could be a siezure. Ribby had a siezure once but it was different than dreaming. All the same muscles were twitching- mainly her eyes and her lips. At first I thought there was a fly in front of her face and that she was about to snap at it. But then she tried to move off the couch and couldn't. I came over to her and I saw that she was conscious and scared. I just sat there beside her with my hand on her shoulders, and the twitching stopped less than a minute after it started. I took her to the vet the next day and they ran blood work and said that there didn't appear to be anything wrong, but to keep an eye on her. Afterward I remembered that she had been into the trash earlier that day and there were coffee grounds in there. That was the beginning of the covered trash can.

It's good that you are going to take your pup in to the Vet just in case. It's probably just dreaming but you never know.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Sallie Mae, Jan 29 5:43 pm

Dog Health > Dry Nose Leather

Ribby, CGC,- TT

Barked: Thu Jan 28, '10 12:16pm PST 
Ribb's nose has always been wet until fairly recently. I noticed today that the very top of her nose, the part where the fur ends and the nose leather begins, is dry and rough looking, moreso on one side than the other. What causes this and is there anything I can do to make it better? Is this just an old dog thing?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Fredy, Jan 31 6:19 pm

White Shepherd Dog > white dogs & white snow!

Freya

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 5:39pm PST 
Freya LOVES snow. She loves to run in it, eat it, lay on it, roll in it, etc. She doesn't become invisible, though. She has a strawberry blonde streak running down the middle of her back, so she's not quite the pure white color of the snow.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 27 8:24 am

Grooming > Dremel-- Which attachment?
Ribby, CGC,- TT

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 5:17pm PST 
I just bought myself a Dremel today at Target. It's the multi-pro 300. It comes with way more attachments than I need, but I guess I may eventually need it for something else other than dog nails.smile It was on sale for $38.

It comes with a sanding bands, although I want to get a finer grit band. I like the medium or fine grit. It also comes with buffers, which will be nice if I decide to take some extra time to shine the nails up.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Miss Lola Luftnagle, Jan 27 8:37 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.