Postings by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie"'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 173: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Dog vs. Cat, Unhappy Ending
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '15 11:53pm PST 
The owners absolutely have a right to know. That said, the cat was loose, came onto YOUR property(which has a six foot fence), so no, I do not believe you are to blame at all, especially not with a 6 foot fence. Keep in mind that a grieving owner is likely to lash out at you about your dog, and be prepared to handle them saying things you may not want to hear. But you did right by the cat taking it to a Vet and I think that shows exactly what kind of person you are. smile

Perhaps if you're concerned about how it gets handled, contact the Vet who euthanized the cat and give them the collar and tag and request to be kept anonymous? I'm not sure if a Vet would do that or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Koby, Jan 25 9:40 am

Behavior & Training > Help.. My dog attacks unneutered male dogs.

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '15 8:29pm PST 
I've been around, mostly struggling to get onto Dogster or avoiding it because it was, well, annoying for a while.

Whatever works for you Yoshi! Like I said, I'm strongly considering getting my dogs fixed, mostly because I'm tired of rotating them when Ria is in heat, and the stress is causes Charlie when she is.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Woodstock, May 16 11:51 am

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '15 8:26pm PST 
Sonja, hoping that pulled muscle eases up for you soon!

Woo for snow blowers! I'm hoping it does, but it makes sense. Incontinence in dogs with Thyroid issues is rare, but it DOES present itself and actually, many have the same issue with the incontinence that I do surprisingly(happens in their sleep, when they're sleeping on soft things such as couches/beds/blankets/etc), which leads me to hoping that's the root cause because I've been trying to manage that one, at best, for nearly seven years. I would love it if the epilepsy would go away too, and it presents itself much similarly to that of seizures caused by Thyroid issues as well, in that his seizures are typically a couple months spread out from each other, so here's hoping all of his issues(which seemed to have taken a domino effect starting with the peeing) will be taken care of within a couple of months of being on the medication. He gets oral pills twice daily, and he takes them really well too, doesn't try to spit them out haha.

Flicka! Thank you! smile

Sarah, I hope so too! Poor Jake pup, I can't imagine nine teeth having to be pulled at once! How are the other pups doing? Have you shared the photo on here at all yet?
[notify]
» There has since been 630 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Mon 9:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Help.. My dog attacks unneutered male dogs.

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '15 12:45am PST 
wave Hi Guys!

Will this thread never go down?

Great info Sabi!

Yoshi - My dogs, Charlie and Ria are both intact as well, although I'm strongly debating whether or not to get one or both of them fixed. Largely due to my lack of patience rotating them and the stress is causes Charlie when Ria goes into heat. Maya, my spayed female Rottweiler had a NUMBER of health problems(although many due to her being poorly bred). Ria has had zero health issues thus far at almost three. Charlie is seven, and he has Hypothyroidism and may or may not have Epilepsy(depends on whether or not it was originally caused by the Hypothyroidism, so we'll see if the meds take care of the seizures too), but he's seven years old. He hasn't presented any behaviour issues due to being intact at all, in fact, he's been great for socializing many dog-aggressive dogs due to his nonchalant nature. He can be a raging dick barking at the end of his leash, or even at the fence, but he's totally chill when it comes to meeting other dogs. smile

I've had more altered dogs have issues with my intact dogs than vice versa. however, I have had few experiences with it at all, and honestly believe it to be entirely individual.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Woodstock, May 16 11:51 am

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '15 1:42pm PST 
^^^ Also, whats the possibility she's Catahoula and not a pit mix at all?
[notify]
» There has since been 636 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Mon 9:22 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '15 11:35am PST 
So I haven't been around in a while. Due in part to lack of being able to log in, and in part to dogster running so slow. But figured I'd give it a shot again.

An update, I suppose.

Friday, Charlie was taken to the ER Vet. He was exhibiting some very unhealthy, potentially dangerous symptoms: Refusing food and water, shaking in pain and discomfort, whining under his breath, his stomach was rock hard, he was 'off', lethargy, sluggishness, etc. We rushed in him wondering if he had an obstruction as he had chewed a baby toy two days prior(and a piece of that toy had gone missing). Xrays, Ultrasounds, etc were done - no obstruction, and no answers. He was given fluids, pain meds, pepcid, and sent home. The next day, he wasn't any better, so we called around and took him to a Vet for a full blood panel. It came back as his thyroid levels being very low. Ordered a full Thyroid panel... It was confirmed Charlie is definitely Hypothyroid.

So, looking back, he had MANY MANY symptoms that I just hadn't linked together.

Symptoms: His 'epilepsy' may not be idiopathic epilepsy and may in fact be directly correlated to his Hypothyroidism(this is a waiting game to see if the Thyroid meds take care of the seizures), He has a small patch of 'thinned' fur on his tail(this appeared to be from chewing an itch on the tail and never got worse and so I didn't even think of it), urinary incontinence(can be a symptom - he has this issue, we'll see if it improves with meds as well), intolerance to cold(I honestly figured it was largely due to him being a short haired dog), weight fluctuations(they were small, maybe a few pounds tops, and he was never over or underweight at all), enlarged prostate(which we found out at the ER and I read CAN be a minor symptom).

So... That was.. fun. He's now on meds twice daily and we'll see how much they help. He goes back in three months for another Thyroid panel to see if his meds need to be adjusted.

Ria is fantastic, as always.

Charlie is getting more and more tolerant of my toddler as my son gets older, which is awesome and D doesn't go grabbing at the dogs anymore, so yay for that! Progress!

How is everyone else?
[notify]
» There has since been 637 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Mon 9:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What is your dream dog(s)?

Barked: Mon May 5, '14 2:33pm PST 
Well, I'll always own Beagles at some point or another in my life, and same with Border Collies and mixes thereof... Rottweilers as well. I do eventually want a working line GSD though.

That said... DREAM dogs:
German Shepherd(from working lines that I can compete in a few sports with, I'm particularly interested in Tracking, but won't be looking into a Shepherd til we're down to one dog or none.)
Great Dane(currently in rental properties, so not realistic until I own)
Pharaoh Hound(LOVE my hounds!!!!)
Doberman(Their lifespan breaks my heart though.)
Czechoslovakian Wolfdog(don't know nearly enough about them to yet consider it, but love what I've heard and seen.)
Australian Shepherd(Great for agility and trick training!)
Swedish Vallhund(I just LOVE these awesome little guys!)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Twister, May 11 6:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Please help us

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 8:13pm PST 
A headhalter will NOT act as a muzzle, DO NOT rely on it to act as a muzzle. It will give you head control, it will NOT prevent a bite. You can use it in combination with a muzzle, but never as a replacement.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Apr 28 8:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Please help us

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 5:17pm PST 
Love some of Dr. Sophia Yin's methods.

Say Please by Sitting method

Podee is Dog Aggressive

Hope these tips help as well. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Apr 28 8:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 10:27pm PST 
I'm still a little skeptical and just kind of hanging back to see what happens.. Whatever happens, happens. I'd like for dogster to stick around in the community sense and grow and get rid of all the issues it has.. But I'm not sure I'm very trusting of them anymore either..
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

(Page 1 of 173: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.