Postings by Delta Force CGC RN NA RL1's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 322: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > New therapy dogs on the block!! now what ? lol
Delta and- Doc

The Spots Are In- The House!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 2:34pm PST 
There is lots you can do. You can visit different areas in hospitals, nursing homes, libraries for children to read, schools for children to read, doctor's offices to help patients before/during appointments, crisis response team where you go to places that have had a crisis and help, conferences that may need support.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 31 7:21 am

Sports & Agility > DA/Reactivity and Agility
Delta and- Doc

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 7:44pm PST 
Doc is reactive. He's especially reactive to one dog in class who is extremely high strung and gets away from his owner all the time in class. Management is key. If they can be managed, then you should be fine. Class will never be a problem for you, but I would definitely let your trainer know and tell her you honestly don't think it will be a problem in class, and ask for a 'trial' run. My trainer knows about Doc's problem and they help to keep dogs away, and expect management. They are willing to allow me to do whatever I need to do to manage. However, I do worry about eventual competing with him. Just from competing with Delta, I know that at agility trials, there are tons of dogs crowding the entrance and exit to the ring, and there will be times they very near other dogs. Luckily Doc is just starting, so i have awhile before he would get to competition ready stage... I guess we'll see.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Bruno CGC, Apr 16 7:28 pm

Raw Food Diet > Pavlov's dog....

Delta and- Doc

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 1:38pm PST 
Well as much as a I say not to feed dogs on a schedule, mine pretty much are. Lol They usually get fed between 9-11 at night. So pretty much at that time, Delta goes crazy anytime I even attempt to move from the couch or the sewing chair.... or wherever I am. She will whine when I make dinner, but gets really excited when I open the pantry where the dinner towels are. Then she knows it's on. And it kills her sitting there until I give her the okay. Lol
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rexy, Mar 4 9:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > How much to feed a puppy?

Delta and- Doc

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 1:32pm PST 
I found that up until about four months of age, feeding 10% of their weight worked, and then around there I switched to 2% adult weight. But I honestly think it's different for every dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Delta and Doc, Mar 4 1:32 pm

Sports & Agility > Questions about Rally

Delta and- Doc

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 2:48pm PST 
Everyone seems to have your answers. I will add about one thing though. We trial in rally in AKC, APDT, and C-WAGS. This is for AKC, as I've only ever had awesome experiences with APDT and C-WAGS since all my friends do them.

With AKC, I found going into the trials as a complete newbie, everyone is nice to you. So I wouldn't worry so much. My very first rally trial, someone offered me a chair to borrow since I forgot and they helped me around. However, the more you compete in it, the more you may hear about so and so and what they do and why this person doesn't like that person and so on. However, I've found that when I started hearing this, I was trialing for awhile so I felt I was able to deal with this. It wasn't a right off the bat type of thing. Some people may try to get you not to like people, but I don't pick sides. I'm nice to everyone and make sure not to talk about anyone. (I do show in conformation also, and I see this more around the conformation ring).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mack CD RE CGC, Feb 3 2:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > 1st month on raw...still has skin issues
Delta and- Doc

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 2:41pm PST 
Honestly, I fully believe that it could be a good year before you see results. Through a cycle of seasons and fur coat changes. Sometimes I feel like I'm still seeing results and I have been feeding for two years.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 3 7:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Feeding and Children....too risky?

Delta and- Doc

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 2:38pm PST 
I'm pregnant and feeding raw. Also, my male is a therapy dog and visits children regularly, along with playing with my four year old cousin regularly. Never had a problem. You can clean the house with a vinegar solution, and the dog too, however I just use a warm wash cloth to wipe down after a particularly wet meal which may make them a little red. If they aren't visibly dirty then I just let it go. Once my child is born, I may clean a little more, but it won't affect the way I feed my dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Feb 1 1:31 pm

Sports & Agility > How long did you train in agility before trialing?

Delta Force- CGC RN NA- RL1

Raw Fed and- Happy

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 7:11pm PST 
I hear 18 months is average, however Delta and I trialed at about 12-13 months. Depends on how fast you and your dog progress.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Delta Force CGC RN NA RL1, Jan 24 7:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > My Pet Carnivore

Delta and- Doc

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 7:06pm PST 
Love them! We've been ordering for a little under a year from them. The packaging of the items is great! It surprises me how much they fit in a box. Lol The prices are great, the people are great. I have no complaints.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Addie CL1 CL2 CL3 CL4 OAJ, Jan 30 6:20 am

Choosing the Right Dog > So you think you want a
Delta and- Doc

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 6:34pm PST 
So you want a dalmatian:

Pros:
- Definite family dog. If raised around children, they are GREAT! (Doesn't have to be your children. Doc has met my cousin a few times while growing up and he now LOVES LOVES LOVES kids. He just lights up)
- If exercised, they are complete couch potatoes in the house. (Exercise can be a con)
- They can basically keep up with any exercise you participate in. All the dals I have known have also liked water, but I've heard of a few who do not.
- Good size at about 40-60 lbs
- Absolutely funny dogs. They make me laugh at least five times a day.
- Attached to your hip, plan on using the bathroom with the spotted dog. smile
- Alert, lets you know of any funny business on your property.
- Friendly with strangers if socialized as a puppy. (Friendly, but does not love. I find this a pro, but others may find it a con)
- Dog friendly. (If socialized as a pup)
- With a good training protocol that builds on your relationship, I find that all three of my dals are pretty reliable off leash and have a great recall.
-Not too hard to find a good dalmatian breeder.
- Short coat that is super easy to maintain.
- With training starting as early as possible, they are very trainable dogs.

Con:
- Shed shed shed, and shed some more.
- Need a fair amount of exercise.
- It is possible for dals to have dog or human aggression if they are not socialized correctly. Socialization is of upmost importance.
- They are attached to your hip. (Sometimes it is just plain annoying. Lol)
- It seems there are two lines of dals, ones that are not whiny, and ones that ARE. I own one of each. You will KNOW which one you have rather quickly. Lol
- Diet restrictions due to purine stones.
- Deafness does run in dalmatians, so a good breeder is needed to run BAER testing.
- Dals have a bad rap since they were overbred due to the 101 Dalmatians movie coming out awhile ago. It is just my opinion, but it seems the mills and bybs are slowing down on dalmatian breeding because the movie is not as popular anymore. Still take extreme caution on who you choose to get your dalmatian from.
- Fairly independent. One of my dals will sleep on top of us, but doesn't enjoy other physical interactions like petting (unless its the butt!!!) My other dalmatian doesn't care to sleep with us but loves hugs and scratches. They are likely to try and solve things themselves instead of coming to the humans.
- Can be extremely stubborn. One of my examples being that Delta cried for 1 1/2 hours in her crate the first night we brought her home. She is very persistent. Lol

It's funny how some of these things can be pros or cons depending on what the person is looking for.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by River, Jan 29 6:05 pm

(Page 1 of 322: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.