Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 123: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Puppy has crispy eyes :o(
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 11:53pm PST 
another thing you may want to try is baby shampoo washes to the eyes. Sallie Mae has eye buggers and anytime that they seem to be more than usual, we do these. Just take a little baby shampoo in a cloth saturated with warm water and rub the baby shampoo in the eye area, then rinse well. No tears, and it makes their faces smell so good!! My vet suggested we do this with Sallie Mae and it really helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Apr 25 3:14 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Too Much Dog for Me?
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 8:27pm PST 
Stella, your post sounds just like my mom when I was about your age. She was a mom that really was scared of failing. It shows in your post how much you do care and soon enough, your dog will shapen up to be a well trained young lady. I go everywhere and I am always getting responses as to how well behaved I am. My mom is so proud, as like with yours, I was her first big dog and pulled many antics on her. She did win our battles and just stayed informed here asking lots of questions. Btw, thanks fellow dogsters for being patient with my mom and answering all those questions!! You are in the right place and there have been many great answers here for you. Learn to laugh and breathe are 2 of the best in my humble opinion!! I never go off leash anywhere, but my mom now knows that she can control me on leash. She walks me all over the place as long as she has that leash, bol. I also have a huge back yard to run in and when I go places like the vet, my mom doesn't always keep a tight grip on that leash, but just not outside where there are cars. I also live in Mississippi, but there are no dog parks in my area. My mom tends to agree with other posters here and are not a big fan of those anyway. There are no doggy daycares in my town, either. As far as the question about boarding and training, my mom had friends that tried that and had very bad experiances. It didn't work, and that particular trainer doesn't live here anymore. We do not have cats, but I have been off leash in areas with them and finally did have an experiance that made me run, and I have been running from them ever since. Tell your mom to be patient, she is doing well with you and things will only get better!!
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Jan 14 7:05 pm

Dog Health > Yorkie with ascites--did I do the right thing?

Kirby Joe

Kirby

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 12:17am PST 
I have an 8 y/o yorkie that started having watery stools on Saturday. He was his usual self otherwise and eating well. I gave him pectin and watched him closely. Sunday he had only 2 loose stools and was still his normal hyper yorkie self. Monday morning he woke up with a huge belly and feeling a bit miserable so I took him on to the vet. He had x-rays, blood work, and they drained his peritoneal cavity of the clear fluid. Bill $900. That was before the $100 bag of the awful Science Diet food (RX Duck and Sweet Potatoe)that the vet adimatley said he had to have and any meds. Meds: flagyl, prednisone, cyclosporine, metoclopramide, and still an unknown med that had to be ordered from a special pharmacey that isn't in yet. Cost of meds: $500, not including the one that has not come in yet. The explanation for the ascites was that yorkies have this often, caused by IBS and a allergic reaction to his food. He was on the limited ingredient salmon and sweet potatoe Blue Buffalo (1/3 cup twice daily) and never showed any s/s of IBS before. He has never been a dog that vomits his food and before Sunday always had one stool at 7 am each morning. He said that this will be a chronic thing and he will always have to be on the food and medications. The vet that I saw was one in the practice, but not my usual vet as he was not in that day. This is a bit of a rant because I feel that he diagnosed too quickly and may be over prescribing on medications. I made anappointment on Monday and this was not treated as an emergency. Has anyone had this type experiance before? Does IBS come on this quickly in yorkies with no other s/s? I do feel that the bill was a little much @ $1500 plus the cost of another med. I do not mind the bill and will always take care of my pets, I just feel a little had here. Can I buy BB or TOTW Duck and sweet potatoe food instead of the crappy Science Diet? The vet also wanted to keep him in the hospital for 7 days and give his meds IV for $220 a day. I refused as my vet is not set up for 24 hour care. No one stays with these dogs at night to watch them. When he continued to encourage the weeks stay, I asked him if he, or at least a tech would be there to watch him and he said no. I just looked at him and said at least at home I would be watching him. He didn't argue that point, but I could tell he didn't like me speaking up on that problem. I will be checking prices of the meds at regular pharmacies and ask for a RX if I find them cheaper. Would I be wrong to make an appointment with my regular vet to see if all this would be his way of treating this problem? Kirby is much better now and the fluid has not returned. He seems to be getting a bit tired each day and his energy seems to be decreasing some. He did have somewhat of a normal stool yesterday and has not lost his appetite through out this ordeal. Should I have done anything different with this and are we on the right track in treating it?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 27 9:41 am

Dog Health > My heart is breaking :o(

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:37pm PST 
We will be praying for you at your time of loss. hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Nov 4 3:35 pm

Dog Health > Heinz Body Anemia

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:33pm PST 
We are sorry for your loss. The other poster said all things well. Grieve for your puppy and then celebrate his life. You did nothing wrong. It was just his time to go. We will be thinking of you and praying for you at your time of loss. hughug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 27 9:18 am

Puppy Place > Introducing Allie! (And the not-so-good news)
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 9:25pm PST 
I've been a member of dogster for a long time, but have not been active lately. Allie is a beautiful boxer and she seems to be in a great home. Sallie Mae also came from a BYB that suprised us, right along with our vet. She came from about 500 miles form us and our vet knew the dam and sire's vet. They both were AKC and CKC registered, btw, along with having ribbons for show. It happens, and Sallie Mae probably wouldn't be alive if we had not purchased and rescued her either. I will be sending youy a friend's request and hope the best for your 3 dog pack. Sallie Mae was also our 3rd dog. She has a yorkie and a doxie for brothers. Boxers are such a sweet breed. Sallie Mae also lays her head in my lap.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 28 8:31 pm

Puppy Place > Rant - - So fed up.. Need advice!

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 6:07pm PST 
I happen to have a hubby of 39 years that doesn't agree with having Sallie Mae 100%. He is ok with the dog that sleeps on his shoulder each night and the one that sleeps at his feet, but is not always happy with the BIG dog. Your story in ways reminds me of how we came to being a 3 dog family. I was devistated after the death of a much loved long time companion of 21 years named Mister and absolutely refused to have another dog. Kirby was my daughter's dog, and at the break-up of her marriage, I took him to potty train him and then give him back. That didn't happen. My hubby got Chili and actually took on some responsibility for him. I was still saying there would be no dogs in my future. Then when he had to change jobs, worked too much and too often, I decided to get Sallie Mae. He argued and fussed over having a big dog until I completely trained her. He now understands that he can leave, but not the dogs and only brings her up in arguements about other things. Is the stress actually the dog or something else? My hubby lost his job with GM when they took bankruptcy. The stress is often money with us. Neither one of us thought he would be working as hard as he does now at this point in our lives at a paper mill. I do not work anymore due to a disability, which was not a planned event in our lives that causes a lot of stress also. When arguements start now, and Sallie Mae is the first thing out of his mouth, I try and sit down and figure out what is really causing the stress. It is usually not her at all. He really loves her but is not the one in the know about raising dogs. Hang in there, and I hope that things work out for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 67 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 2:43 pm

Contests and Vote For Me! > Vote for Oscar The Boxer

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 3:56pm PST 
Hi, I voted and will try and remember to do so again tomorrow!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 25 9:37 pm

Dog Health > What is going on in vet schools???

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Sat Oct 22, '11 8:14pm PST 
Adam, I don't post much, but wanted to say congratulations on your decision to go to vet school. It takes special people to go against the grain and question things. I hope you practice somewhere close to me so I can finally have a choice in the vet practices I use!! Good luck and please let us know how you are doing and share the things you learn with us. I've wished many times that I had gone on and done something else, and think becoming a vet would be awesome.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 8:14 pm

Plus Contests > PLEASE vote for the band CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE!
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 8:49pm PST 
We voted, and will be back in a while to do it again!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 20 9:27 am

(Page 1 of 123: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.