Postings by Jasper's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > tips for moving to new home?
Jasper

If it's in your- hand, it's gotta- be MINE

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 2:46pm PST 
thanks, everyone. Your replies have made me feel better about the situation. I can get into the new place ahead of time, before the day of the actual move. I liked the suggestion of taking him there, and also for a walk around the new neighborhood. I hadn't thought of THAT.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 24 4:21 pm

Behavior & Training > tips for moving to new home?
Jasper

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 1:38pm PST 
It's moving time. And I need all the help I can get. Looking to prepare my dog as much as possible. Besides when I brought him home from the breeder, this will be his first move.

And to add another dimension to it... I'm actually moving because my husband and I are separating... so I'm sure that I'll be emotional, and am afraid my pup will be affected by not having my husband around anymore. (I'll have sole custody of the dog.)

I'm looking for any tips you might have to help with the actual moving process, as well as any adjustment periods afterward.

My initial thought is to board him overnight at the PetSmart hotel (where he's been boarded before) during the actual move, so he's not in the way and so he doesn't see everything being moved out.

But is it best to take him back to the empty house and THEN to the new one with everything inside... or just to take him to the new place once everything is there, and not worry about going back to the old place?

Or should I let him sniff around the new place first, before everything is there, and then bring him home for real once everything is moved in?

I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 24 4:21 pm

Behavior & Training > My juvenile dog showing agression towards younger dogs! (help?)

Jasper

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 4:31pm PST 
My mini-doxie is almost 1 year old now. And he's got this new troubling behavior that seems to be happening more & more lately...

He is TOTALLY friendly, to people and other dogs. He's been through puppy training, goes on long walks with me, travels to the beach and other public places with me (and behaves himself), and goes to the dog park about once a week. People have often commented to me that my dog is the only one their dog will play with.

note: my dog is a male, but has been neutered since about 7 months of age.

He didn't use to be a barker, but now he's barking at every little sound outside. It's been getting increasingly worse.

And he's been showing signs of aggression. Mainly at the dog park. He'll be fine, go in to sniff a dog, and then snap and turn on the other dog. He's never actually attacked the other dog... just makes the noises and moves like he's going to, and chases him in circles. I know that dogs play rough, but this definitely isn't my dog playing. When this happens, I pick him up ASAP, but stand in the same spot and hold him firmly till he calms down. After he is calm, I am actually able to set him down and he will PLAY just fine with the dog he just tried to attack.

The only link that I think I see is that he seems to be targeting younger dogs. And since my dog is in his juvenile phase, thought that it might be his "coming of age," where he is trying to show dominance over those younger than him. But I really don't like this behavior, and want to correct it.

But I don't know how to correct it, especially when it happens with a variety of other miscellaneous dogs, only once, and then he's fine with them.

Has anyone else ever gone through this, or know what to do? I've been looking for help on the internet, but haven't come across anything yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Apr 23 4:31 pm

Food & Nutrition > How often should I give Bully Sticks?

Jasper

Barked: Tue Jan 5, '10 8:48am PST 
He's got a kong, too, but it only holds his interest for a few minutes. I'll have to try some interesting stuffings, though, and see how that goes.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Stella, Jan 13 5:24 pm

Jasper

Barked: Mon Jan 4, '10 7:56pm PST 
He's getting about one or two a week. One used to last almost a whole week, but yesterday it freaked me out because he went through one in about a half-hour. (I think it wasn't a good one, though... looked to be mostly hollow.)
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Stella, Jan 13 5:24 pm

Jasper

Barked: Mon Jan 4, '10 2:59pm PST 
Not sure if this is the correct place for this posting, but had a question...

My dog LOVES bully sticks. It's the only treat/chew toy that actually keeps his attention for a while. I have to admit, I've come to rely on them quite a bit, using them as a bit of a "pacifier" so that I can get stuff done around the house without him bugging me...

But I worry about giving him too many of these. Are they harmful to his health in any way? Are there any recommended feeding guidelines with these?

FYI, my dog is an 8-month old mini dachshund, weighing just about 8 pounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Stella, Jan 13 5:24 pm

Dachshund > what to feed???

Jasper

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 2:42pm PST 
(NOTE: in-detail poop descriptions... don't read if this offends you...)

I'm having stomach/food issues my my 7 mo. old mini-doxie, Jasper. Looking for suggestions on what to feed, and if you've encountered these problems yourself...

He started out eating Royal Canin. The vet said it was good, but my dog trainer said that I could do better. I tried Orijen, but that made his stools soft and smell HORRIBLE. Next up I tried Blue Buffalo, which is what he is currently eating. Stools not quite as compact as when he was on Royal Canin, but still okay... but I've had recent problems.

He DID get sick with some kind of parasite recently, and his stools turned kinda soft, like pudding-texture. A quick trip to the vet, some medicine, and he was starting to get better. Until the following week... same thing happened. Now, I think THAT is totally my fault. I take him to a park across the street and didn't stop him in time before he decided to eat some rabbit droppings, which I think is what made him ill both times. Back for more medicine, and he is getting better again.

But the vet said that I should probably change his food, too, that the high-protein content might be partially responsible for his sensitive stomach; that a lot of dogs can't tolerate that. She wanted me to get one of the HILLS Prescription Diet Formulas. But I took one look at the ingredient list and wondered if I should change vets... it was TOTALLY grain and corn-based; couldn't find ANY protein source. And since my guy's still a puppy, I know he needs at least a basic amount.

So now I don't know what to do. Try Royal Canin again? (Maybe I freaked out by all the "holistic" talk out there and switched him too early??)

Thoughts? Help? ??
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Michael, Dec 3 7:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > Sensitive Puppy Belly - Food opinions?

Jasper

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 2:12pm PST 
In my experience so far, I would recommend staying away from Orijen if your puppy's stomach is already sensitive. My guy has a pretty sensitive stomach, too (one too many treats and the stool gets loose again), and Orijen did NOT work well with his system. The stools always seemed soft and SMELLED totally bad, too. My vet said that a lot of dogs' stomachs actually can't handle that much protein. Just wanted to share, in case it helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Osi James, Dec 18 7:45 pm

Dog Health > Neutering: what to expect???

Jasper

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 4:02pm PST 
Cool, thanks everyone for the stories and advice...

I'm thinking that I might take the day off of work for the day after I bring him home, just so I can keep an eye on him and see how he reacts... and see whether or not I need the cone of shame or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opie CGC, Nov 3 6:00 pm

Dog Health > Neutering: what to expect???
Jasper

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 4:47pm PST 
Both my vet and my trainer have recommended using a collar (both of them having dealt with bad experiences in the past), as well as the fact that I won't be home all day to be able to monitor his behavior. I planned on keeping him in his exercise pen for as long as needed, but dang! I didn't expect it to be the 10-14 days mentioned earlier. This is gonna suck... he HATES being cooped up. My only other experience with this situation is adopting a dog from the shelter, and they come home already neutered and back to normal, so this is new to me. (And I'm a worrier...)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Opie CGC, Nov 3 6:00 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.