Postings by Bandit's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Green tripe - cooked?
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 5:43am PST 
Yeah - I was wondering about the stink.
I'll just give it away. It's only 5lbs.

Bullie - I'm in Toronto (Canada). Its yours if you're local. smile

Max - thanks. Husband likes to overfeed, poos are better the last couple of days on less meat. Also, I'll cut the ground pork with chicken breast to reduce the fat % a bit.

We do pumpkin occasionally - thanks for the reminder to add that in.

It is what it is. He wore me down. I couldn't stand watching him treat the dogs like they were walking diseases, and not allowing my 9 month old to interact much with them. As long as my allergy dog gets better and stays off the steroids, I'm happy to do homecooked (even though I do believe raw is best).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bandit, Mar 9 5:43 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Green tripe - cooked?
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 7:34am PST 
Hi!
I've been feeding my dogs raw for 9 months. Long story short, my husband - the germaphobe - can not deal with the raw diet and so we are putting them on a homecooked diet instead. I have one allergy (contact environmental) dog and the other is very healthy. I am hoping the homecooked diet helps my allergy dog, as the raw was.

The decision to switch was abrupt, and I had just ordered 5lb of green tripe and 5 lbs of beef offal. I can cook the offal and throw it in the mix, but can I cook the tripe?

Has anyone ever fed cooked tripe?

Also, another question. My dogs did well with a higher bone/meat ratio than the 10% standard (they were getting more like 30-40% and had good solid poops). On cooked their poops are soft, almost runny. Any advice on what may be causing this? To start, we've fed them chicken breast and veggies (75%/25%) and ground pork/brisket blend with veggies (again 75%/25%). They also get kefir, kelp, and ground eggshells.

Thanks so much!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bandit, Mar 9 5:43 am

Dog Health > First time rash on healthy dog. Source?

Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 12:19pm PST 
I've had Tia for 2 years. She came from a foster home in perfect health, has never been to the vet for anything other than yearly examinations and vaccines. She would rarely scratch, always had great poops, and clean ears. She's always been kind of stinky and farted a lot, but that has pretty much stopped since we switched from kibble to home cooked.

The other thing that changed when we made the diet change (only last month, April 2012), is she all of a sudden starting scratching (still nothing crazy, but several times a day and enough to call attention) and has developed over the last few weeks a red rash on her upper front leg.

We made a lot of diet changes in April, switching to CaniSource (a dehydrated type kibble), to half CaniSource half home cooked with some RMBs, to all home cooked, and now since Friday (May 4) all RAW.

She always did fine on any kibble we fed her, and she has not had any digestive issues with this last months food changes although she had some soft stool, due to what I think was too much protein variety at once (we've now just stuck to chicken for the last 2 weeks).

Is it possible I threw her whole system out of balance with the diet changes? I've never heard of a dog who got WORSE after being taken of kibble.

She also gets a probiotic supplement (for the last 2 weeks) and oil supplement. The rash appeared before the probiotic supplement, and the oil she has been on for the whole 2 years. I was hoping the probiotics would help (i suspected this to be yeast or fungal), but it doesn't seem to be making a difference so far.

Any ideas?

p.s. how do you add a pic? I have one that I took today of her rash.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tia, May 7 12:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > couple of questions....

Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 5:38am PST 
Second the beef ribs! We found some short beef ribs on sale and bought a couple of pounds. The dogs loved them! We let them grind down to about 1/2 the bone, and then took it away. Bandit is a pug/beagle mix, about 25 lbs. He only got 1 bone in the set, otherwise it'd be too much for 1 meal (weight-wise).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 27 12:23 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Fresh pumpkin?

Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 5:33am PST 
Hmm, i already was removing the fat and skin from the chicken. The pork was a grind so who knows - was probably a bit high in fat. Yeah, I'll cut back a bit. It is kind of sad looking into their bowls! *LOL* But the CaniSource is even worse, since its a highler calorie food they get less quantity than on TOTW, we always feel kind of bad. At least the homecooked looks more bulky!

I added the pumpkin to last nights meal. This morning's poop was not so mushy. Bandit was actually a bit constipated yesterday (according to DH) - go figure. But I think that's because he got a RMB on Monday night and although we took the bone away when he was about halfway through, it may have been too much for him to consume? We're all over the place right now... kibble, homecooked, starting to introduce RAW. This is probably not helping his stomach. Our vet wants us on RAW though, so that's the end goal for the summer. We're still sourcing the meat (she wants us to go organic but we may not be able to afford it, we don't even buy organic for ourselves), so the dogs are getting a little bit of everything. Tia doesn't even seem phased, regardless what we put in her bowl! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bruno, Jun 8 12:58 pm

Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 9:50am PST 
I hadn't used it yet because I didn't know if it was a suitable veggie to add. I've only been cooking regularly for 1 week now. Once they finish off the kibble, we will probably transition into RAW. That's what our vet ultimately wants him on. I'm feeding him 2.5% of his ideal and current weight of 25lbs. He gets about 3-4 oz of meat in one meal (we did chicken thighs, ground pork as mains, with a bit of sardines and eggs in a couple of meals). He is in great shape right now, so I was trying out the 2.5% for maintenance. I guess its hard to tell with only 1 week of 50% cooked. His kibble is CaniSource, and he gets 1/2 cup in the morning (box recommendation) whereas he was getting 2/3 cup each meal on TOTW.

As for veggies, it was a zucchini/carrot/bok choy/cauliflower mush last week. Bok choy and blueberries on Sunday night (wow stinky farts! too much bok choy I think). The fridge was pretty empty so I was scavenging for them. Last night they got raw meaty ribs and a couple of pieces of leftover yam and a few blueberries. So I was hoping the pumpkin would be a good option for veggies.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Jun 8 12:58 pm

Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 5:38am PST 
I bought a fairly large chunk of pumpkin at the grocer yesterday; is it a good idea to throw some into the dogs' food or is this kind of a high carb ingredient? I'm feeding just protein and veggies (70/30) but they also get 1 meal a day of their kibble (CaniSource) until the bag is done.

I'm also wondering if it will help solidify Bandit's poop a bit. Its really soft, not runny, ever since we took him off TOTW under 2 months ago. It was getting better with CaniSource, then we started the homecooking and its back to mush. Tia's poop is great.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Jun 8 12:58 pm

Dog Health > Atopica

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 6:12am PST 
Hi Joey!

We only wear the clothing indoors, once we're outside with loads of distractions, the itching calms down a bit. Plus, I'm weird about wanting to "air him out", so I don't feel good about him being dressed 24/7!

I think the clothing just felt good on the skin, he wouldn't even really try to scratch. It allowed his arm pits to heal, and I'm sure the snugness had a calming effect for sure. We didn't use the Thundershirt, just regular baby tees and doggie sweaters. He itches mostly on his neck, shoulders, and arm pits, but has also started licking his legs, paws, and groin area. Hence the full body jumper!

Give it a shot, its cheap enough (skip the doggie clothing for now if you can and just buy baby/kids tshirts) that if it doesn't work out, its not a huge waste of money. And it may very well give him a bit of relief for now.

puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by joey, Apr 3 6:50 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What Kind of dog is that?

Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 3:01pm PST 
I've totally seen the mini huskies - freaked me right out! shock

I've had people refer to Tia as a puggle - like ALOT. shrug
I have a puggle, and he's usually with us. So I'm not sure how they figure the Shar Pei mix is also a puggle...

Actually, she's a pretty obvious Shar Pei mix, but I think she may be bone-mouth shar pei which I guess is not as common around Canada.

I don't know. I'm actually terrible at guessing breeds so I probably shouldn't judge! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Apr 28 7:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > pitbulls are not bad dogs
Tia

Ok - lets cuddle

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 10:11am PST 
Yes Ava, don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to scratch genetics or nature out of the equation. I guess I just see it as there's a component of the "dog fighting" element which is more heavily influenced by nurture than nature, as there is also another component of it which is more heavily influenced by nature over nurture - does that make sense?thinking

I suppose what I believe is that we have way more control over the behavioral aspect of the game bred dog, than we sometimes get credit for. All this I'm saying, of course, without ever having owned a pittie! laugh out loud

I mean isn't that where the mantra "a pit bull may not start a fight, but will definitely end it" is basically born from?

smile

edited to add: I agree you can be the best owner and still end up with a DA pit bull, just as you can be the best owner in the world and end up with a DA lab.
[notify]
» There has since been 115 posts. Last posting by Keira, Apr 9 9:30 pm

(Page 1 of 27: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.