Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 141: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Tummy Issues with Raw Diet
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 9:36am PST 
he is eating chicken necks and organs? That's it? That is not a balanced raw diet. In any way, shape, or form. Do some reading on prey model diet and work up to a ratio of mostly red meat in the 80% meat, 10% organ, 10% bone range.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 10 7:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > Question on Fasting a Small Dog
Brody

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 9:31am PST 
I don't fast Brody. He weighs 5 pounds. Sometimes he chooses to fast himself. laugh out loud He has 15 minutes to eat twice a day. If he eats, fine. If he doesn't that's OK - we just throw it back into the fridge and he can have it next time it is time to eat. That is because he is a picky eater and we coddled him and played into his pickiness and created a monster. shrug

So we have learned. And so has he. He gets offered a balanced raw diet twice a day. He can choose to eat it or not. If he doesn't eat, nothing but water (absolutely no treats or extras) until it is time to eat again. This has cured his pickiness by about 95%.

I also vary mealtimes. Sometimes by a couple of hours. This keeps the 'omg its time to eat' mentality from developing. Where dogs know its mealtime and they sit and stare. Waiting for food. eek This also creates bile vomits as they anticipate food and if its not there at the right time, their stomach produces acid and they vomit foam. Feeding at random times prevents that.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 1:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > Oxtail and beef cheekmeat ...

Brody

Barked: Sun Sep 22, '13 7:10pm PST 
I just had to LOL when I saw this post. I wrote it in 2009! 4 years ago! ha! eek

It's funny because I sure had a lot of questions... so glad everyone was willing and able to help a newbie. I've been raw feeding now for 4+ years and all is going great. Would never go back to kibble. Glad forums like this one exist to help people with raw feeding as it is definitely the very BEST way to feed our dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 22 7:10 pm

Raw Food Diet > Feeding Small Dogs Correctly

Brody

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 2:54pm PST 
Rufio, small dogs can eat all cornish hen bones. They can eat most of the chicken bones, but I personally do not feed the leg or thigh bones. Brody does, however, eat the knobby ends off these bones without a problem. I don't feed turkey wings as they are dense. I do chicken necks and feet too.

You can also look at other sources of bone... rats and mice are great for tiny dogs. You can find them in the freezer section of pet stores (snake food). Quail are easily found at asian markets and are easy bones as well. Also rabbit is a favorite and all rabbit bones are edible. Cavies (guinea pigs) are also great for small/tiny dogs. You can buy them whole at some raw suppliers. I like hare-today.com

You can also do beef or pork ribs or lamb ribs/sternum. Small dogs can work on the ends of beef and pork ribs and consume enough to satisfy the 10% bone requirement. Lamb breast has very easy bones as well. Farmland does a frozen bone-in riblet that is non enhanced that has easy button bones for small dogs as well. (Look in the freezer section, usually sold in a 10 pound box).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 26 7:40 am

Brody

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 8:15am PST 
Shop the bargain bin at the grocery meat department. You can often find great cuts of meat really discounted. I also like ethnic markets, hispanic, asian, etc. They have different cuts of meat and most are cheap. Heart is a GREAT meat. And one smallish heart can be 20+ meals for a chihuahua. dancing

Also make friends with hunters if you know of any. Often hunters will clean out their freezers in anticipation of fresh meat so you can get excellent meat there. We have a friend who gives us the heart and kidneys and other misc parts from the deer they hunt. Great meat and lasts a long time.

I stock up on cornish hens when I see them on sale. They are my main source of edible bone. And then I can concentrate on keeping Brody's diet red meat heavy. Have fun!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 26 7:40 am

Brody

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 2:49pm PST 
I feed prey model raw to my chi Brody. He weighs just a shade over 5 pounds. He eats 3-4 ounces a day. It's fine to start at 2 ounces a day and just work up from there. Feed to a lean body condition, most chihuahua's are overweight. confused

I use cornish hens for my bone in meals. Get a non enhanced (no added sodium) bird that weighs 1 pound. I get them in the freezer section of walmart. Get a cleaver and whack it up into about 8 chunks of meat and bone. Those are your bone-in meals. Feed one chunk a couple times a week.

Then fill in the rest of the meals with red meats. Beef, venison, pork, bison, lamb, goat, etc. It's OK to give occasional bird meals, but I try to keep the diet mostly red meat.

I also keep a baggy of chicken wing tips in the freezer. (Just buy a tray of chicken wings, the ones that have the 3 joints.) We like them, so I chop off the wing tips and save those for Brody. They are mostly a soft bone, some connective tissue, and some skin. If I see a loose stool, I throw him one straight from the freezer. He loves them and it firms him right up. You can do the same with chicken feet if you can find them. Try asian grocers or other ethnic groceries.

I do organs as a meal on the weekend. But have worked up to that over time. Followed before and after by a cornish hen chunk of meat/bone.

Very easy and do-able. And super cheap. dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Sep 26 7:40 am

Raw Food Diet > Introducing Ginger, Maxwell's little sister....

Brody

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:12pm PST 
Congrats! What a pretty girl! I havent' been on the boards in a long time but came back to check in and see that you have added to your family. That's just awesome. So happy for you. Keep us posted!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 1:24 pm

Raw Food Diet > Left meat out for 12 hours, safe to feed?

Brody

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:07pm PST 
Definitely feed it. Remember that dogs have a very strong GI tract. Rotten or old meat is definitely not a problem for most. Dogs can and do BURY meat in the yard and dig it up a week later and eat it. wink So not a problem at all. Oh, and most grocery store meat counters add a red dye to meat so that it looks appetizing. The grey/brown color is the natural color.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 5 6:17 pm

Raw Food Diet > Too much fat in blood... high cholesterol?

Brody

Barked: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:05pm PST 
Agree with the others. Different topic... but PLEASE do your research on yearly vaccinations. Absolutely positively NOT necessary and puts your dog at risk for immune system disorders. You are on the right track by raw feeding, now take it a step further and look at the big picture - including the studies and research on overvaccination. dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 28 5:05 pm

Raw Food Diet > Grinding Raw Bones
Brody

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 5:22pm PST 
Brody is barely 5 pounds and he does GREAT with bones. You will be surprised. Give your dogs a chance.

His favorite is cornish hens. He eats all of that. He can also gnaw on the ends of pork, venison, and beef ribs.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 4:36 pm

(Page 1 of 141: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.