Postings by Ralf von WowWow's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > FOUND HUSKY MIX MI 49841
Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 2:00pm PST 
'Zack' as we were calling him was actually Smokey... I called the Humane Society again today and almost begged to see if they had any reports of lost huskies anywhere remotely near my home. The lady said that there was one reported lost on the 2nd (and I found the dog on the 1st), but she gave me the name and number just in case.
It turned out that it was that dog (and as soon as I said Hey Smokey, he came running down the hall and stared at me like he was glad someone had finally got his name right).
So, he's gone home, safe and sound and happy! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by quigley, Jan 10 2:23 pm

Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sat Jan 2, '10 12:10pm PST 
Will definitely post fliers eventually, but we're trying to keep him a bit 'down low' from the land lords who live about 2 blocks away (whole neighborhood is an ex-Air Force base, and we live in a large chunk rented out by an agency... and they have a 2 dog max. rule: Mr. Missing Mutt is #3 in our house...).

Have taken him to the nearest vet (about 3 miles from here)--no chip, and the receptionist (?vet tech) didn't recognize him.

However, we've been leaving our number with every place we check.
We took him for a walk down the street right after we found him, and again last night.
I've left messages with the humane society of this county, and one of the nearby counties. Left one w/the local police, and have also put him up on a few lost pet sites (including the local radio station's one).
I even put the word out to my friends on facebook...
I'd love to keep him but it's too much furry energy in the house with him being 'intact'. Too much licking areas and trying to do the domination mount, but no blood or even real fights yet, just a bit of stress for me worrying about it!
Thanks for the help, I'll keep coming back to this post and let folks know how things turn out with our "Zack" wanderer (had to call him something, with no collar to find a tag on).
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by quigley, Jan 10 2:23 pm

Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Fri Jan 1, '10 2:17pm PST 
Found a nice looking husky guy in our back yard this morning with our two doggies. Came to get cuddles and I managed to snag him and get him inside our house.
Don't know how long he's been outside since his coat is so thick and dense.
We're starting to fall in love with him, he's a sweetie but it would really be great to get him to his real home.
Husky looking, but a bit stockier, seems to like spending time out in the snow.
Anyone know this guy?
Any suggestions (other than posters) on how to find his owners? I've already called the local police station and left a message, talked with the people at the local animal shelter, and found a few other websites to post lost pets on (including the radio station's lost pet thingy).
Thanks
Addie
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by quigley, Jan 10 2:23 pm

Behavior & Training > Collar, halti, or what

Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Tue Dec 22, '09 8:27pm PST 
So, this has all sounded like good advice... no tugging. gotcha!
I'l try brining treats with me, don't know if that will work all the time, he refuses food/treats (even 'high value' ones) when he gets excited. I will try, though.
I do try to keep him on a short leash (or grasp the leash right near the clip end), and I will make sure to continue with that.
I just wish he'd stop doing the wailing dog fish tail act when he gets excited!
Oh, yeah, I do have a back pack for him, and I guess I'll have to get that out and load it up. I'll try cans of whatever's in the pantry.
Thanks folks!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 25 8:39 pm

Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 5:21pm PST 
Thanks, never actually dislocated shoulder, but it feels like it sometimes!
I'll definitely not tug on the collar anymore. Originally, we were using the harness thing but that doesn't slow him down as much. Maybe I'll try working with that again, but I like the ability to direct his head when he's excited with the head collar.
Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 25 8:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Frustrating friends!
Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 5:14pm PST 
Here's something that puzzles me:
Problem: oodles and oodles of 'unwanted' dogs that die each year (and cats...etc.) because people don't spay or neuter their pets for whatever reason and then can't be bothered to or are unable to place the puppies (kittens...) into good homes.
Solution: Many organizations and people working together to promote spay/neuter programs. Solution seems to be 'unanimously' a good idea.

However,
Problem: starving children, abandoned children, etc.
Solution? Encourage family planning, make sterilization or contraceptives available. Mention anything like this and oh, boy you've opened a can of worms. Why? Finite resources, instead of trying to spread them thinner for more and more needy children, help the potential parents have fewer kids or not be parents. Won't solve the problem, but it can mitigate.

Don't want to offend, just wonder why species can be such a factor in what people consider reasonable.

Oh well, this is probably why I'm a dogs over kids person, dog vomit is soo much more fun to deal with at 3 a.m.!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Dahlia, Dec 14 4:18 pm

Behavior & Training > How to convince husband not to let his dog jump...

Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 4:52pm PST 
I've asked him repeatedly not to let his dog jump up on him ever, because it's inconsistant and will confuse Kyle (Ralf's 'brother'). However, Ryan hubby either doesn't think it's seriously a problem, or it slips his mind really fast because quite often Kyle jumps up on him and then gets cuddles for doing so (as in jumps up with front paws onto human abdomen). One of Kyles favorite things to do when he's excited is to follow you and bounce his front paws off your bum or knee-backs or whatever he can reach.

Kyle also takes flying leaps at you when he's ecited, on the extreme occasion he's leapt up and landed all four paws on my abdomen. Kyle weighs 45 lbs. and I'm starting to get frustrated with him jumping on me and nibbling my fingers from behind.

Anyone got any suggestions to a) curb behavior and b) get my husband on the band wagon (e.g. your dog started doing that, and it led to the dog doing something more 'sinister' so if we don't nip this in the bud now...).
Kyles probably an Australian Cattle Dog with maybe pit bull or something thrown in, so it seems like a cattle moving behavior at times, but it's not cool or cute.

Thanks! Addie
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Dec 14 12:00 pm

Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 4:45pm PST 
I am able to walk with Ralf a lot easier (no shoulder dislocations) when he is wearing his halti face halter than collar alone. However, I'm not sure how to correct him (I got super lucky and got his halti from a thrift store-crazy lucky).

He still likes to put a good amount of tension on the lead with his nose, and he gets frantic/excited under certain circumstances (e.g. my husband walks away from the group, or he just wants to WALK FASTER or go to the tennis court). I don't know how to shift his attention, giving gentle short tugs on the lead doesn't work, and he squirms like a fish if I try to make him face the other way.

Should I try a different collar (e.g. the double one sold by Cisar Millan) or what?

I get frustrated because he ignores me sometimes, and I know that's not helping, so I want to get help, so I can help him....
I don't want to jerk hard on the lead, the halti goes over the bridge of his nose and that would hurt a lot.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 25 8:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Balls of steel or brains of mush?

Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 4:16pm PST 
I would swear that when we brought Ralf (75lbs) home from the shelter that he (45lbs) had a new chew toy. Ralf takes it well enough, ignores him grabbing his heels or neck or side indefinitely while Ralf races down the hall to retrieve the ball thrown for him. Eventually he gets irked, and then whaps Kyle with his big ol' paw or grabs him back. No fights ensue, just doggy wrestling matches.

It annoys me that Kyle treats Ralf like that (Ralf has a scab on his heel which I think Kyle gave him) but Ralf doesn't seem to care as much as I do, and so I let him take care of it. I think I'd step in more often/assertively if I thought that Ralf was becoming chew bone/meal instead of chew toy, though.
G'luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kodi Pie - CGC ESA, Dec 13 12:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Postal Worker Bitten and I Need To Vent!
Ralf von- WowWow

Throw that ball- again!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 3:58pm PST 
People can be so frustrating! Have you checked with any of your neighbors to see if anyone saw her approach your dog (leashed, and in the corner) or heard you ask her to wait while you put her inside the house?
I have no experience in this area but I bet it would be helpful for you if you can get witnesses to your side. That prevents the proverbial he-said/she-said issue.
Our neighbors puppy got loose a few times when we lived in Knoxville. It was tiny, cute and friendly. It liked to wonder into our yard. One week, we didn't get mail on Friday or Saturday, and figured it was because we didn't have mail. Monday rolled around, and we had a flourescent colored post-it type not on our box saying mail couldn't be delivered on those days due to a loose dog... pathetic. And the box is on the fence, next to the road!

Good luck to you!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Dec 13 12:41 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.