GO!

cropped ears or not cropped

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zeus

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 5:00pm PST 
My parents thinks I would be cute with my ears cropped but I'm scared it will hurt . Someone told my mom that I would have ear infection problems. any suggestions?
[notify]
Magnus Von- Magnussen,- Esq.

Nap hard play- harder!

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '08 3:08pm PST 
Cropping is not necessary for a number of reasons. Your Min. Pins ears should eventually stand up on their own anyway.
Magnus & Otto
[notify]
Isis

The Energizer- bunny...did you- say bunny?

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '08 2:49pm PST 
I've heard that whole thing about helping to prevent ear infections really isn't as true as some will make it sound. If you clean the dog's ears once in a while, I've not gathered it's much of an issue at all. I clean my mommy's ears 2-3 times a day 'cuz they smell funny, although she doesn't do mine nearly that much.
I think it really just depends on what the humans want. I came with these ears, so my mommy didn't actually make a decision. . . they were sort of trimmed down a little while I was still living with my real mom, and they started standing up as I got bigger.

EDIT: Mommy says you are soooo cute!

Edited by author Thu Mar 20, '08 2:51pm PST

[notify]

Fynnigan

Barked: Fri Mar 21, '08 9:23am PST 
Cropping does hurt the dog. A lot. And there is no guarantee that after all the moola shelled out for it and pain the dog must endure the ears will stand in the end anyhow. It all depends on the shape of the dogs ear to begin with and the strength of the cartilage after the surgery.

I also disagree with what Magnus said. Many ears left uncropped will not stand, some will, some will have one ear that will stand up and some will alternate and have days where they stand and other days when they don't.

Many vets refuse to even do this surgery any more because it's no longer a must in the show ring, and it is already illegal in many countries. I think CA is currently working on a ban statewide because it's considered cruelty.

We're leaving Fynn's after the loads of research I did on the topic. I think they're cuter that way anyway.
[notify]
Devonshire's- Lady Macey

I'm too cute to- get in trouble!

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '08 2:36pm PST 
I think that minpin's look better with unchropped ears. It gives them more character and it's funny to watch them give facial expressions using the floopy ears! I didn't have a choice with my minpin getting her tail docked, it was done at the breeders. Unless i was showing my dog i'd leave the ears just as they are.
[notify]
Duchess

i shoulda been- born a cat

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 8:53am PST 
Duchess has her ears and tail done. I love the look of min pins this way and I believe it is keeping with the standard of the breed. I personally do not think it is cruelty. Min pins were actually used as gaurd dogs during WWII because many people could not afford to care for the larger breeds. Min pins can still serve this purpose for their owners and having their ears cropped or breeding for the standing ear trait (it is uncommon for natural ears in american min pins to stand) can help the oner see the obvious signs their dog will show with their ears when gaurding the house. this was also one reason for cropping the ears of Dobies. the handler can then see the ears lay flat when the dog is gaurding, can see the ears turn certain directions when listening for sounds, etc. these natural ear functions are harder to observe when the ears are floppy. Many breeders in the countries where cropping is banned are breeding for the ears to stand naturally. but most american breeders have not started this yet because cropping took care of the issue of the ears not standing. also, in response to one of the other posters, the min pin ears will stand if croppd no matter what. they are not like dobies where you have to post the and tape them to train them to stand. min pins have somewhat small ears to begin with, so when they crop the excess part of the ears, the ear is small enough that the cartilage left makes the ear stand on it's own. this is one reason why they can crop min pins so early as opposed to waiting till they are older puppies. So when it was said that even cropped they may not stand, this is only true in the larger cropped breeds like dobies and great danes.
[notify]
Fynnigan

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 6:08pm PST 
Duchess - you are dead wrong. Read any book about min pins, talk to any breeder of min pins or any vet they will tell you there is no guarantee a cropped ear will stand. And after cropping a min pins ears taping and wrapping is a required part of the after care. Most dogs will need this wrapping done repeatedly and it hurts so much they have to be sedated each time. The biggest "complication" that comes from cropping a min pins ears is that they won't both stand erect.

It is no longer required by AKC because there is NO benefit from it and it is a very painful process for the dog, not just the surgery but the weeks of healing and after care procedures as well. States in the US are looking into banning this practice completely because it is unnecessary and cruel (I think in Vermont it has legislation is already in place and California is not far behind).

For more info see the following links:

http://stopthecrops.com/problem2.html

http://cfhs.ca/at home/ear_cropping_and_tail_docking/

http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/ 67.html
[notify]
Rocky

Until there are- none, adopt one!

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '08 10:06pm PST 
I would never want to have my ears cropped. Lots of people make fun of me saying that I have very large ears but my mom loves them and would never change me for the world... Cropping ears does not mean that your ears will stand up!!! Even if your ears never stand up on their own, know that it doesn't make you any less of a Min Pin BOL!!! We will all love you more... cause every pup's differences should be celebrated!!! That's what makes us all unique...

Rocky
[notify]
Cricket

Spring! Spring!

Barked: Wed Apr 23, '08 5:12am PST 
Thank you so much for those links, Fynnly! I couldn't agree more, Mom stands by the RSPCA's belief that it is unnecessary and cruel. She's forwarding those links to everyone in the local animal rights group she's involved with, they'll all be barking for a ban in the USA too! dog

Here's some other sites Mom found to be helpful with information:

http://www.rspca.org.au/campaign/tail.asp

and

http://anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/

way to go

Edited by author Wed Apr 23, '08 5:15am PST

[notify]
Brandy

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 12:26pm PST 
Definietly NOT cropped. There's nothing cuter than a min pin's floppy little ears! cheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2