GO!

Hi all! Question about grooming a Maltese.. How much work is it really...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 16, '10 11:08am PST 
to keep a Maltese in a not puppy cut? My sister just adopted a 3 year old little male Maltese and he's been shaved pretty short. Looks like a skinny little thing.. and I've a penchant for keeping dogs looking the way they're 'supposed' to. Granted, it's not my dog but as I'll be pet sitting it for a while, I wanted to know a few basics on Maltese grooming.

On one hand I know there's the close-cut puppy coat, then there's the floor length show coat with the top knot. Does anyone have any suggestions for in-between coats? Don't think that my sister is keen on the show coat (though I know if it were my dog I'd keep it in one and spend hours a day on its coat.. )

I read some things online about paw fur trimming, whitening shampoos, etc for a Maltese, but I'm looking to get some more in-depth information.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance! (this has been crossposted from the main forum's grooming section)
[notify]
Toby

Spoiled Rotten- Brat, TOBY

Barked: Thu Jul 22, '10 8:08pm PST 
My Maltese has really thin hair. When we got him he had the baby-cut short hair but I have grown it out some. His hair doesn't touch the ground so it isn't the 'show dog' cut. I like his hair the length it is. I don't keep his hair in a top-not because it's too thin and slips out. It is just long enough to keep in a short top-not. I think it looks cute. His hair is just the right length for me!
[notify]