GO!

New to the forum

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Koda

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 12:59pm PST 
My husband and I just brought home a black lab that we adopted from someone on craigslist. They said that they found him a week ago and tried to find the owners, but were unable to... and they couldn't keep him so they were trying to find him a home.

My husband and I went and met him today, and he's such a sweetie. The people said they took him to their vet and had him scanned for a microchip (unfortunatly he didnt have one.) Their vet guessed him at 3-5 years old. I am guessing him a little older, as he is starting to get some grey hairs on his face... Not a lot, but a few.

After we picked him up, we took him to PetsMart and had him weighed at the Banfield clinic. He's about 75 lbs. He did amazingly well for not having known us, and the chaos of PetsMart at Christmas time. We bought him a new collar and a tennis ball, which he has ignored completely.

We're trying to think of a name for him, but nothing seems to fit! He seems to be a VERY gentle guy. So far he is loving laying around the house, and sitting right in front of my husbands face and staring as he plays xbox, trying to get his attention.

As soon as I think of a name for him, I will create a page and add some pics. Any suggestions? We've thought along the lines of Max, Jake, Ben, Duke, Shadow, Riley?
[notify]
Hulk

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 1:05am PST 
Oh yeah, Labs are definitely just big gentle babies. :] & Riley & Duke are adorable names!
[notify]
Tori

"Show me the- people food!"

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 6:18am PST 
Hi! My husband got his new Seeing Eye Dog on April 25. Her name is Tori and she is 3. She celebrated her 3rd bday in July. She is a Golden Retriever/Black Lab cross that loves to kiss me on my face.
[notify]

Tori

Hi! My husband got his new Seeing Eye Dog on April 25. Her name is Tori and she is 3. She celebrated her 3rd bday in July. She is a Golden Retriever/Black Lab cross that loves to kiss me on my face.
[notify]
Tori

[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 8:49pm PST 
Yes, Yes. We have our first chocolate lab Rubi (short for Rubicon, named after my husbands jeep) LOL! All the labradors want is love and affection. May I suggest the name licorice? Just thought it was cute. When we got Rubi. well she was suppose to be a boy, Her name would have been Rosco. Please feel free to use the name if you like.

Don't worry about the ball. Rubi doesn't want anything to do with the ball or play fetch unless we take her to the beach and she will chase that ball all day long on the ocean. I think there are two kinds of labs. The one's that can't live without fetching and the ones that just don't like to fetch.

I can't wait to see pics of your new pup. Good luck with the name.
P.S. Rubi also has neck names like spazo and hoover. Congrats on the new pup. cheer
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 8:50pm PST 
Yes, Yes. We have our first chocolate lab Rubi (short for Rubicon, named after my husbands jeep) LOL! All the labradors want is love and affection. May I suggest the name licorice? Just thought it was cute. When we got Rubi. well she was suppose to be a boy, Her name would have been Rosco. Please feel free to use the name if you like.

Don't worry about the ball. Rubi doesn't want anything to do with the ball or play fetch unless we take her to the beach and she will chase that ball all day long on the ocean. I think there are two kinds of labs. The one's that can't live without fetching and the ones that just don't like to fetch.

I can't wait to see pics of your new pup. Good luck with the name.
P.S. Rubi also has neck names like spazo and hoover. Congrats on the new pup. cheer
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 5:24pm PST 
I wouldnt be surprised at the 3-5 year age range. My first lab started going gray at 4 and my second was close to that as well. They both lived to be old men at 15 and 12. As for names - maybe something related to Christmas to honor the time of year you got him? We wanted to go with "Holly" for ours, but thats my son's ex so he was hesitant!shock Rudy, Nick, Cole...all cute Christmas names.
[notify]
Beau *R.I.P*

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 11:51am PST 
Thanks for all the replies. We had decided on the name Ben, but my nieces veto'd it, saying that he was too sweet to be a Ben. They said we should name him Beau, and there you have it.
[notify]