GO!

How big will he get?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '07 4:25pm PST 
Adopted a cute little lab puppy from shelter-he is now 7 1/2 months old, 27" tall and weighs 82 lbs! I feed him puppy lamb & rice, 2 cups am and pm, he has the run of the yard and we bike every day for a mile or so. Is this too much? I have never owned a lab before, but he is turning into a horse! I am worried about him growing too fast. Any ideas?
[notify]
Tucker

A tail that can- clear a table

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '07 6:17pm PST 
At 27", he's a bit on the tall side. He won't reach his full adult size 'til about 1 1/2 - 2 years old. Mine was about 90 lbs. at 1 year, and we cut back on his food, and he's now (at 2 1/2) about 85-89 lbs.

At 7 mos., up to now (adult size) mine gets 1 c. of food in the a.m. and 1 c. in the p.m. He gets an occasional marrow bone, and small treats once in awhile.

You could cut back on the food, adding green beans (filler) to his portions (1 c. at mealtimes, with the added green beans).

It's good he's getting exercise, but when you bike, is he onleash running beside the bike? If so, I'd stop that. Labs should be able to run, but run free, at their own pace. Forced running, such as leashed running next to a bike could lead to injuries of the joints. Running such as that shouldn't happen until about 2 years of age.

A good way to tell if your dog's overweight is feel for ribs. If you can just feel the ribs under his coat, he's about right. smile
[notify]
Oliver PAWS

<3s tennis- balls, peanut- butter, & Fling

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '07 4:38pm PST 
Yeah just make sure your not feeding him too much.
[notify]

Magnum NAJ- O-TN-N OJC- WV-N

Run fast, run- clean!

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '07 5:21pm PST 
My Mom calls me a horse! I'm 8 mon. and 27" in. tall. I eat 7-8 cups a day and I'm still a skinny minnie. Mom says it must be because I'm growing, that I'm eatin' so much!eek
[notify]
Beretta

Beretta is my- name--Swimming- is my Game!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '07 5:56pm PST 
Well let's see?? I am a female who will be two in Feb. Right now I weigh 86 lbs but its pure muscle--I swim whenever i can. Mom calls me her lil horse. Im not really tall or anything, but i defintly am n the bigger side--i even think i am a lap dog--can u imagine that--a 86 lb lab trying to sit on your lap in a regular chair?? Well I do it all the time--mom just laughs and gives me her love like she always does!
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 3:36pm PST 
He is probley and American Labrador they are alot taller then english labs. Yours is actually the same height as mine but mine is one hundred and three pounds but he is very lean and mostly muscle . Your dog will probley fill out and get up in the 90-100 pound range byt he time he is around 2 or 3 or there is the possibility he could be mixed with a taller and slighlty larger dog breed and just looks like a lab

Edited by author Sun Feb 13, '11 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 3:36pm PST 
He is probley and American Labrador they are alot taller then english labs. Yours is actually the same height as mine but mine is one hundred and three pounds. Your dog will probley fill out and get up in the 90-100 pound range byt he time he is around 2 or 3
[notify]
Luca & Vinny

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 8:10pm PST 
Hello, congratulations on your pup!! My two boys are on the shorter side about 23", my black(almost 2) is around 90lbs and my yellow (11 months) is about 75lbs. We started feeding adult food at about 4 months as instructed by the breeders, something to do with slowing the growth. We also feed 1c am & 1c pm with green beens(unsalted)in the pm. There is so much info on the exercise thing I never really could figure it out, some say too much running before two years old may not be good on hips and elbows. I often go to ask the Labman at allexperts.com for some questions. Good luck with your new baby!!!
[notify]
Hucky

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 12:21pm PST 
Since you adopted from a shelter, are you sure he's a pure lab and not mixed with anything. When Hucky was 10 months old (that's when I got him) he was already 82 lbs. and looked like a purebred. I knew that he was mixed with Rottie because I knew the person I got him from and one parent was a pure black lab and the other a pure rottie. Now that he's 3 yrs old, he's over 120 lbs and the rottie traits came out in him.
Ringo is an american and is 2 yrs old and purebred and he's around 80 lbs.
[notify]