GO!

Chins with bad gas

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Griffin- In Loving- Memory

A smilin' Chiny- Chin Chin

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 11:13am PST 
I'm wondering if it's a chin characteristic to have really, really bad gas. Griffin seems to be allergic to grains, but I'm not sure. All I know is that when I feed him grain free, it's much nicer in our house. I've had friends threaten to move the weekly poker game somewhere else because of the gas! The vet says she doesn't think it's a big problem, but she doesn't live with him. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kelle
[notify]
Gabrielle

Stop! You little- fart-nugget!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 6:37pm PST 
What brand of food are you feeding? Some of the commercial brands even though they have lamb or chicken listed as the first ingredient, they have numerous by products of grains that may cause gas. Gabby eats Solid Gold's Holistic Blend with no trouble. Hope this helps! big grin
[notify]
Lola

I am a certified- therapy dog and- CGC

Barked: Sun Jun 21, '09 4:24am PST 
Lola is fed Nutro Natural Choice lamb and rice formula small bites variety and she has no gas problem.
[notify]

Tia

I put the wow in- Chi-wow-wa

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 8:03am PST 
This definitely sounds like a food issue. My dog is 6 and I have never noticed any gas at all. Even if your food is grain free, it could still be a quality issue. I really love The Honest Kitchen foods. You can trust the quality of ingredients and they are grain free.
[notify]
Sawyer

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 8:05am PST 
I forgot to mention I also own a 1 year old chin with no gas issues. I don't think it has anything to do with the breed.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 9:21pm PST 
Hmm... Good luck to you and to your chin..
Looks like I'm a lot luckier. My chin don't have any allergies or something.
[notify]
Colby

A face only a- mother could- love...

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 6:37pm PST 
Our lab gets really bad gas at times and it usually means he needs a good dose of probiotics for dogs. Also, we switched him to Royal Canine and that has helped too. Though I feed my chin Blue Buffalo.
[notify]