GO!

AKC divide Chin by size?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gabrielle

Stop! You little- fart-nugget!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 5:53am PST 
Weigh in friends. There are obviously two types of Japanese Chins. One is smaller and more compact with the fuller coat. The other is larger with a much different coat. Should the Akc dived the Chin into two size and coat types?
[notify]
Gabrielle

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 5:54am PST 
sorry......dividered face
[notify]
Snapdraggon'- s Sasaki- Aka, PAWS

Small but- Mighty!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 8:43am PST 
In Australia, the larger Chin is favored while here in the USA we're into the smaller size. I think that AKC should divide by size if it's going to accept outside of the guidelines. I'm concerned, however, that we're moving away from the original Chin concept. I'm not saying we should go back and try to breed smaller (into teacup size like Japan did at the start of the 20th century).
[notify]

Gabrielle

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '07 9:30am PST 
Saki: I share your concern about the idea of a "teacup" anything. I know people in a neighboring county who breed Yorkies. They believe that breeding runts is acceptable in trying to create "tinies" they call them!

I understand how some could favor the larger chins. They still have the great personality but are less fragile than the standard size. My question has come up in trying to find a suitable mate for Gabby. I want only to do this as a hobby but I know that the only reason to breed is to improve the breed.

Even in owners with AKC pedigrees, I have found some real loonies out there. I was hoping there were some way to keep the breed more pure and build on great bloodlines instead of people breeding willy nilly. There are so few quality dogs in the breed which gives us a smaller gene pool to work with. thinking
[notify]
Snapdraggon'- s Sasaki- Aka, PAWS

Small but- Mighty!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '07 9:51pm PST 
Gabrielle,
Historically, there have been two periods in time where the Chin almost disappeared. The first time was in the early 1900s, when Japanese royalty breed the chin down to teacup, kept them in bird cages and feed them a steady diet of Sake. Because of their size and diet, the chin almost disappeared. The second time was during WWII. Because Japan starved during the end stages of the war, many Chins and other Inus were eaten. Thanks to the efforts of Catherine Cross, the breed came back stronger than ever. There is no doubt that Mrs. Cross, an American, was the premier chin breeder of the century. Just about all reputable American chins have Cross in their lines. Her vision was to breed the classical chinny. Chins bred by Mrs. Cross dominated the show ring for many years. If you're looking for a mate, I would look close at the family trees. A chin with strong ties to Cross would make an excellent candidate for you.
PS: I agree with your comment about Chinny breeders! wink
[notify]
Gabrielle

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '07 9:39am PST 
Your advice has been a real blessing! I will get to researching right away. Thanks so very much! applause
[notify]
Sake - 1999-2008

Saketini High- Maintenance the- Playful

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '07 5:45pm PST 
I am curious. Sake is a big Chin but has a full coat and I have been told by breeders that if he were a bit smaller and his bite were not messy, he would be a perfect example of the breed...so how does this fit in with two different types of Chins? Do I just have an overgrown version of the smaller Chin? Sake is 14 pounds and about 11 inches at the shoulder.
[notify]
Gabrielle

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '07 7:08pm PST 
Sake: I think you are gorgeous! This was one reason for my question. I have found such a wide variety of sizes which are all Akc and all have different coats. I have a feeling that the two original types have been bred across the size division for some time. I just wondered why if the breed standard describes the small dog, why they don't divide the two so both can shown and judged accordingly. Would any of you larger Chins want to show if that were the case?thinking
[notify]
Int.Ch.- Petra's- Magic Dragon-

I like to steal- the cat's bed!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '08 11:55am PST 
Wow! You guys posted a question that is a real sore spot for me.Puff is right at 11 inches tall and 10 lbs and at dog shows owners of teeny Chins acted like he wasn't within the standard.Thank goodness there were judges who knew the standard...still when he would win the teeny Chin owners would make the ugliest remarks.Sometimes I just wanted to scream at them that he is sound with a perfect bite, lovely head and movement. Some of those teeny dogs couldn't go all the way around the ring literally.
He has a lot of the California Cross dogs behind him and I agree it does contribute to soundness.He is 8 yrs young and has not been afflicted with slipped knees and eye problems and TMJ like so many others.
I have mixed feelings about the AKC dividing by size. When I started my search for the 'perfect chin ' I had the advantage of having been a dog show exhibitor in other breeds for many years. I had my own ideas of what a Chin should be and in my opinion I found it in Puff. I believe a Chin should be a perfect blend of the big Chin and the little Chin.But as long as breeders breed toward a tiny Chin there will always be real big and real small. I don't know anyone who breeds for a sound healthy not too big not too small Chin, but I believe that is what the goal should be.
[notify]