Max's behavior in bed with us...

Maximus

I want your- undivided- attention- please!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 7:53am PST 
Max is 3.5 years old, and about a year ago, he started this deal in bed at night, where he doesn't want my husband touching him in any way. He will growl, and he has even biten my husband, until we kicked him off of the bed and I made him lay in his little doggy bed that night. So now he doesn't bite anymore (thankfully), instead he just growls and makes these crazy sounds like he's complaining. The funny thing is, he will cuddle up to my husband, but he just can't touch him! If he cuddles up to me, he'll let me pet him, until he gets really sleepy, then he starts this little sound like "uuuuugggghhhhh", as if to tell me to leave him alone. Does anyone else's dog do this in bed with you? I wanted to crate train him when we first brought him home as a puppy, but my hubby couldn't stand to hear him crying and he felt sorry for him, so he ended up in the bed with us afterall. I don't mind him sleeping with us, but this growling stuff is crazy.

Edited by author Fri Oct 5, '12 7:54am PST

Tinker Bell- Forever

I love cookies!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 6:43pm PST 
Definitely read the thread on here titled "biting."way to go we've been discussing the recently. It's really interesting.

It's a very tough decision to either keep him in bed with you or not. Chis are just too adorable, which makes the decision even more difficult.
Tinker Bell- Forever

I love cookies!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 6:43pm PST 
Definitely read the thread on here titled "biting."way to go we've been discussing the recently. It's really interesting.

It's a very tough decision to either keep him in bed with you or not. Chis are just too adorable, which makes the decision even more difficult.

Cisco The- Kidd Poop

I'm a GIANT- CHI~Giant Chi's- More 2 Love!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 4:35am PST 
Well Mommy would say if its mean growl ya go in da crate she would...I'm assumming ya mean a mean "leave me alone" type growl.

Our Hobo used to do a growl almost like a purr when ya petted him some times.

Took mommy and daddy a little while to realize it was a happy growl becuase dey never had a doggie do dat before but it was definately a happy growl...at first he'd growl and mommy or daddy would say NO and stop petting and he would lick or paw at thier hand to git some more petting and start growling again...guess it was kind of a doggie purrrr!shrugdancinglaugh out loud

Edited by author Sun Oct 7, '12 4:35am PST

❄ Taz ❄

Let's play!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 6:56am PST 
big laughbig laugh Doggie purr laugh out loudlaugh out loud

I have a similar problem... I was crate trained as a baby puppy and it was really hard on mom and dad. From the outside of the house it sounded mom bad. I was quite noisy for my 2lbs big grin Mom was afraid the neighbors would call animal protection or child protective services because I sounded like a VERY unhappy small child. And I could carry on for quite some time. But the good news is... Now I LOVE my crate! It's my own safe place and it's all mine. I still love sleeping in bed with mom and dad more.

I too growl at dad sometimes though... and if I get to sleep in bed with them every night, I start thinking I'm special and start growling at the other dogs and being mean to them all during the day. But mom doesn't put up with the growling. I have snapped at Dad a few times too. If I do that, into the crate for me. They don't shut the door, but when Mom says "GET INTO BED", I know she means it. She doesn't scream at me or anything, but she's quite serious in her tone, and I know if I don't get into bed and stay there, the door will get shut on me. If I growl or snap at dad, I have to sleep in my crate usually for a few months before I can ever get back into the human bed. shrug
Maximus

I want your- undivided- attention- please!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 8:30am PST 
I growl and sometimes show my teeth to dad and snap at him occasionally. I take bed time seriously, and although I will snuggle up to dad, I don't want him touching me when I am tired and trying to sleep. When dad tells me, "NO!", then I feel bad and I will put my ears back and go up to him and give him kisses. I don't mean to be grouchy, but I don't like to be messed with when I am tired. I do this on the couch to dad as well, and I can be very mean and show my teeth and growl if he tries to get me off the couch. Then mom tells me, "Get down", and makes me get off the couch. Then I feel bad again, and I try to be sorry and give kisses. Mom has even made me get off the bed and made me sleep on my little doggy bed instead. Then I feel really bad! I even did this to my Aunt Sandy on her couch when I was snuggled up to mom. Mom sometimes thinks I am being possessive with her, and maybe I am. I love my mom and like to sit with her. But mom doesn't like me acting mean to dad and Aunt Sandy. I hear mom telling dad that I am trying to be the dominant male. I personally think it's mom and dad's fault because they have spoiled me...
❄ Taz ❄

Let's play!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 12:34pm PST 
Mom says she has an Aunt Sandy you can be mean to and growl at show your teeth to and she wouldn't mind laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud Mom isn't very nice sometimes big laughbig laughbig laugh Dad says mom has spoiled me too... Maybe she has, but considering we don't get table scraps, how spoiled can we be?? I have growled and snapped at mom a couple times too, but she gets right in my face and lets me know it isn't ok and she doesn't back off. Dad, always backs off so I know it works with him. shrug Overall though, I'm very attached to mom and I don't like to share. shrug
Tinker Bell- Forever

I love cookies!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 9:20pm PST 
Dog's purr??!!

Taz, I want to hear the Auntie Sandy story.

It's very easy to spoil Chis! Max your parents are not alone.
Tucker

I\'m so happy!

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 6:48am PST 
Oh we can relate to this one! I was awful in bed and now we all have to sleep in our own beds. The ramp to the big bed is gone. It's quieter and no more fighting. Mom misses us, but we are doing fine with it. I was the worst one - the biting thread - and yes, I was being possesive of my mom. She is mine and I protect her. When mom's friend comes to spend the night, I was NOT nice to him at all. Mom got really mad about that. The crate was pretty easy to get used to. It surprised mom actually. So it's worth it in the long run to get used to your crate. It's a good place - I get a treat when I go in nicely. happy dance