Your Favourite (Dog) Books? And a Couple of Other Questions

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 1:59pm PST 
Well, I browsed a little but couldn't find this so obvious question. So, what is your favourite book? And what is your favourite book about dogs or another animal?

I am a new member in this group. I used to read a lot when I was a kid but then I forgot to look for new books to read and I did not know what I could read when I was "too old for books meant for teenagers". Now I visit the library more often and try to leave it with some books in my bag. Mostly I read criminal stories and new dog training guides. There could be something new and useful, or at least I can make a note for myself if I can recommend that book for someone else. But I also read dog-stories.

I also ask how many books you have about dogs.

Well, I should never be asked for listing my favourites because I find judging stuff very difficult. But I'd say my favourite has been Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight since I read it first time because I love the story so much. No, it does not have anything to do with the fact that Alva is a rough collie.

I have many books though I don't have any library, not even a mini-library. But I like to collect books about dogs when the books are cheap or free. The library sells books that are too old or something and I buy them. I have novels and training guides and some other dog books. I've never counted them but I intend to list them some day.

Does anybody know nice on-line books to read? And does anyone write by him/herself? I like to write but I'm not an author and producing a fine plot is out of my reach.
Cosmo,- Forever- Loved

SHELTER- DOGS- ROCK!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 2:29pm PST 
Welcome Alva! What an interesting bunch of questions you have asked!

It's very hard for me to come up with a favorite dog book, but two favorite series of mine are the Chet and Bernie series, which you can read about on some of the threads here. Also like the Corderoy Mansion series by Alexander McCall Smith, who also does the Ladies Number One Detective Agency.

We have over one bookcase full of dog-themed books, but have been getting more of them from the library lately.

At least two of our members have had dog books published and I'll let them tell you about their work. Or you can peruse the threads here.

Welcome aboard!
Alva BH

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 6:40pm PST 
I've read the two first books of Chet's adventures.

I am not into ordering books online and dog books appearing in local book stores, not to mention libraries, can take a while if they ever come. I live in Finland and not everything is translated and then not everything is available in foreign languages like English. But maybe later I'll have money and probably Icould buy some read-a-book machine nand order interesting books all over the world.

Edited by author Sat Sep 29, '12 6:44pm PST

Cosmo,- Forever- Loved

SHELTER- DOGS- ROCK!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 12:51pm PST 
Wow! alva! I didn't realize you were in Finland! Big time difference from Colorado!

Did you say you do ebooks?
Dillon (at- the bridge)

Did somebody say- candy?

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 8:44pm PST 
Hi Alva! Welcome!
You need to hook up with Dafi - who also lives in Finland! Dafi's dad wrote the Planet of the Dogs series of books.
Dafi's dad also published my mama's newest book Circling the Waggins, which is about me and all of my foster brothers and sisters. If you look at the thread about mama's book being the August Dog-eared book of the month, you will find a discount code where you can get the book for half off! (It's only 2.99 on kindle though...and if you are a kindle prime member, you can borrow it for free this month!)happy dance
Sarge

Loving

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 11:22am PST 
Hi Alva!way to gowave Definately you will have to contact Dafi Angel's daddy in Finland who has written wonderful books and is such a nice person! cloud 9puppy

My favorite book is Racing in the Rain, for a dog book by an author I do not know.

Of course, I love DillonAngel mom's books and DafiAngel's daddy's books best of all!

We don't order books on line, but go to the library or reserve them to our account. The time isen't too long to wait.

So glad you are here - we love reading a 'real book' and my son let me borrow his Nook to read the Unbroken, but although I loved the book, I still like to hold a book in my hands.
Alva BH

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 11:52am PST 
Well, I don't have any electric book reading device yet and cannot afford any right now. But the library is free.

I looked for Dafi's profile and I think I found the right one. A Groenendael... We had two Tervuerens earlier. And when I was a teenager I read Helena Meripaasi's series about a young dog enthusiast Ulla who has a Groenendael called Dara. And later I found a book where was a Groenendael Jack but I don't remember its name.

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 12:06pm PST

Sarge

Loving

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 3:12am PST 
Dafi and Dillon, both angels, are on this group! beautiful doggies, both of them and their familiesway to go
Dillon (at- the bridge)

Did somebody say- candy?

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 8:25pm PST 
Mama's favorite dog book of all time is 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein. She also likes Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie series.
Dafi

Good boy.

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 7:23am PST 
Hi Alva and welcome to the Dog Eared Book Club.

If you have children or grandchildren in your family, I will send you a complimentary reader copy of Planet Of The Dogs. Send me an email at barkingplanet@aol.com with your Suomi postal address.

Wags and woofs,
Dafi's Dad
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3