Watch Dog is Writing for Dogster Magazine!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 10:48am PST 
My neighbor has a fenced yard! What did you think of the article? You 100% disagree? Even if the dog never receives any human contact?

hugPuppycathug
Webster

Eternally in- love with- Katie...

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 8:22pm PST 
Now you're changing the subject. confused

A neglected dog is a neglected dog, with or without a tether. On the other paw, a dog with a comfortable home and a loving family - but who spends his outdoor time on an appropriate tether (NOT a logging chain welded to a truck axle a la Michael Vick et al) - is a dog NOT wasting away in a shelter or, even worse, being put down. Is there any doubt in YOUR mind which you would rather be?

Face the facts! We have far more dogs than homes, even without tethering restrictions. We also have humans who will neglect and/or abuse animals without regard for any laws. If you're truly concerned about our welfare, as opposed to "feel-good" legislation that only compounds the problem, the choice is clear.

One more thing... if you feel compelled to change laws to improve our lot in life, how about working instead to dump those number-of-pets-per-home restrictions, or at least make them more reasonable?

Edited by author Fri Nov 2, '12 8:30pm PST

Ringo

Ya gotta make- yer own- sunshine!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 8:28pm PST 
thinking Why is yer neighbor dog tied up in a fenced yard? Didja ever ask? Do ya just wanna turn em into lawbreakers no matter what they got to say? Mebbe he can jump the fence or likes to dig under it and they don't wanna get a call sayin their pup is in jail shock or got run over! cry

Webster

Eternally in- love with- Katie...

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 9:26pm PST 
Enacting laws to ban tethering only serves to criminalize what is, in many cases, legitimate and proper behavior by responsible humans with pets whom they love and care for. It misappropriates the valuable resources of law enforcement agencies which already struggle to keep up with existing crime. Meanwhile, the most vile offenders, the dog fighters and the gangsters with the animals they keep for bragging rights on the street, will keep their poor creatures chained up... behind fences or in barns in rural areas, or in basements and sheds in the cities. And others who simply neglect their "pets" will probably just abandon them to suffer and die on their own.

It's easy to assuage your conscience by supporting a tethering ban, isn't it? No real involvement required. Well, it's also quite simple to contact your local SPCA or Humane Society about any situation that disturbs you. Let the professionals assess the situation and make a proper judgment about any action that needs to be taken. That's their job, they do it very well, and they are backed up by law enforcement when it is called for. If you feel that's not true in your area, THAT would be something to take up with local government.
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:36am PST 
Yea, I didn't provide much detail. red facered facered face

So yes, my neighbor's yard is surrounded by a sturdy fence, at least 5 feet tall. The building has a few flats, so it may be that the other tennants want the dog tethered in the backyard. I was never planning to report my neighbor to animal control; I don't believe tethering a dog violates any laws in San Francisco or that the dog is being abused. My biggest concern is that the dog is tethered outside all night long. We live right next to Golden Gate Park and there are very aggressive raccoons and coyotes that venture into our neighborhood.

I was simply going to do as Watch Dog had suggested in his article, which is to order a doorhanger or submit an anonymous report to dogsdeservebetter.com, so that my neighbor will be sent information in the mail.
Dogster HQ

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 4:09pm PST 
Have You Had Great Customer Service in the Pet Industry? Maybe a pet store went out of its way, or a vet followed up on a treatment. Dogster's Watch Dog wants to hear your stories!
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3