THE WOOF DEN - Chat and relax with the ole' pals or just say HELLO or Hi!!

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Three

My sister is- sweet!

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 6:46pm PST 
Chat and relax in our spacious and luxurious Den here at The old WOOF club!

*Three stands back and looks around after she placed the flowers around the room and appropriate books on the shelves. Thinks to herself that it all looks nice and clean for the guests. Prances over to the snack bar and arranges the napkins and pours the snacks in the proper bowls and such. She turns the open sign around in the window and smiles.*

I think this will be a fun place for the WOOFS to get to know each other and share in laughter and fun.

Come on in! The door is open! welcome
Goofball- Mavredes (RB- 9-21-11)

Food Food and- Food

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 6:05am PST 
Woof...Woof....Woof...Woof....hamster dancehamster dancehamster dancehamster dancehamster dance Oh K...me has a question for the oldsters...way to goway to goway to goway to go Mommie took me and my little bratty brudder...naughty to the vets last month. Me had this thing on my ear. Me had a few small ones on my eye lid and our old vet where we use to live took them off. Well....this thing was beginning to get a little large and this new vet we have said that she didn't want to take it off, that it could be done by laser method but due to my age wasn't a good idea. Well she called it an Old Man's wart. The nerve or her saying I have warts. Humph!!!!!eekeekeekeek Well this thing is on my ear flap and it got as large as the whole tip end of Mommie's thumb and I finally scratched it and it bled everywhere on our new carpet..eekeekeekeek Mommie's quick cleaning methods took care of that. Mommie doesn't understand why the vet wouldn't take it off and she's thinking of getting us a new vet. wavewave
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 7:59am PST 
i understand what you bark about vet's.
the whole reason why mom wanted this group is because our vet has the misty is getting old diseaseshrug
everytime when me and mom come with a question about me and the issues i'm getting,it's the same old story.
"sorry miss,but misty is an old dog,it's normal that she gets issues"
i know misty is old and i know issues are normal,but you can at least answer my questionseekeek
i'm getting tired of the prase"misty is getting old"
do your job and if i want answers,give them.
if i want meds,give themeekeek
and if i want to pay a lot of money for a treatmend,that will not help completly,because she's old,but at least will help her a bit...do so
i pay you for thateekeek
what's up with those vets huhshrugshrug
i guess they don't want to get my moneybig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh

Magoo- (Forever- Cherished)

Forever Loved- and Cherished

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 10:06am PST 
I have another perspective on this only because I have been through it myself. The reason vets do not want to do those kinds of procedures, at least my vets, is not so much because they think the dog is old and not valued. At least in my case, it is because even laser surgery around the eyes requires anesthesia. If you happen to have congestive heart failure, like I do, or anything with the liver, kidneys, etc., anesthesia is very risky, especially in older pups. I also have tumors around both eyes, which I have had for a few years. Mommy wanted to know if there was any way they could possibly remove them with the laser and IV drip, where I would not totally be under, but they said around the eyes is too much of a risk if I should move one bit. So for these reasons, we opted not to have it done. But whatever Mommy had wanted, the vets would have done for me. I am not saying all vets are this way, but there are factors that come into play with them not wanting to do procedures on us Senior pups. The risks involved with anesthesia are probably the major one, though. I hope this helps a little.

Magoo
hughughughughughughughug
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 10:49am PST 
you are right magoo.
not all vets are like that.
i went to a vet hospital with misty ones,because her bowels got infected.
they needed to put her under and she slipped in an awful seizure in my arms.shockeek
i was horrifedcry
especially because the vet didn't even blinkt his eye and did nothing to calm my fears.
when some months later misty had an ear filled with blood,i went to another vet.
and he said that at her age normal Anaesthesia was a big risk for misty and he gave her a special Anaesthesia made of gas.
and i was allowed to be with the procedure.
and she was fine and save.
with no seizures at all.
i had a great vet on him.
but he retired and now i'm lost finding a nice,good vet.
sigh
shayra

love and love is- life.

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 11:48am PST 
i guess it's just a matter of luck with vets.
we have bad experiences with big learning vet clinics.
the young studends make mistakes and lack the compasion for owners at times.
there are very good vets(but our good vets were older,experienced vets)
but that our personal opinion
the best vet we had was a very old senior vet,that on many occasions all ready knew what we had when we walked into his room.
i'm allergic to spiders.
my throat gets really blocked if i eat a spider,i get big lumps all over my body and my head swells up.
the firs time when it happened mom got into a fit.
she brought me to him and the moment i walked in he said to mom...
"o that's a spider"
he gave me a shot and i got better"
he retired.
and mom never found a good vet after thatshrug
or maybe she is just spoiled because we were with this vet for several years and than it's a big shock to get vets who make a mess of your pet.eek
Magoo- (Forever- Cherished)

Forever Loved- and Cherished

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 1:25pm PST 
Isn't it awful when you finally find the one vet you really like and trust and then they either go to another practice far away or retire?

I do agree that with the larger teaching hospitals, it could be a real problem because they have students working on your precious pet. Plus, it is not like a small town vet where everyone knows your pet. Without knowing your history, it could be a bit risky for the teaching hospitals and students to even diagnose and treat.

That is such a horrible story, Misty. I am so glad you are okay now! I did not know they had other general anesthesia options. For all I know, maybe in the States they would not do it that way. And they never let you in the room when they operate here. So you are lucky your Mom was allowed to stay.
flowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers
Pea-Nutty- 1998-2012

Forever In Our- Hearts

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 3:57pm PST 
Old fart pup checking in! wave Thanks for the invite, Magoo. wink
Blue Suede- Shoes

Darn dirty- wabbits!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 4:59pm PST 
I'm sorry all of you have had such bad experiences frown I turn 13 tomorrow and was just neutered this past Feb! & last summer I too had some 'old man warts' taken off of my muzzle and one rear toe. My mom gets to stay with me during my procedures because she works at the Vet. I really like that because I get very upset if I wake up and Mom isn't there since I'm deaf. I can't hear the soothing words people say to me anymore, but if my mom's there I know I'm safe. Both of my doctors NEVER tell a pet parent that the patient is too old for treatment. My mom would be offended if someone gave her that excuse! My doctors perform fully anesthetized surgical procedures and dentals on patients of all ages. For seniors they require IV fluids throughout and during recovery as well as full preanesthetic bloodwork beforehand to check liver and kidney function, amongst other things. If my doctor wouldn't help me because I'm 'too old' then I'd be wagging my tail on to the next one. Aging animals need medical care just as much, if not more than, their younger counterparts. Especially if it will increase their quality of life right now, or prolong their qualitly of life for the future, then why WOULDN'T you do it? After all, nobody tells a person they're too old for treatment.
Goofball- Mavredes (RB- 9-21-11)

Food Food and- Food

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 5:37pm PST 
Our old vet back where we lived did everything to help Mommie with us including cutting a squirrels teeth, he had malocclusion and did xrays on a pelican that he had to euthanize and didn't charge for that either. kissing Him is an animal lover for sure. Mommie can not understand how come this new vet didn't at least tell us something. One thing Mommie started putting hydrogen peroxide on it, this is my ear now, don't have any more around my eyes, and then treating it with bactracin and it is helping. It's going down but it did burst prior to that. I can't even find anybody here to care for the birds we have!!! even after she (this new vet) asked me if I worked with birds cause I work with wildlife and I told her yes. My other vet would call me if they got wildlife in, cause sometimes folks drop them off at the vets, and he would treat it, give me the antibiotics and it was good to go. Sheez...don't make good vets anymore ya know. Least not here. I'm gonna look around. way to goway to goway to go
  (Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]