Snippy Catahoula...only sometimes

Petula- Louise

Noses are for- nibbling!

Barked: Tue Nov 16, '10 2:44pm PST 
Hi All-

I'm having a bit of a behavioral issue with my gal Petula and I'd like to crack it. My boyfriend and I moved in together six months ago. This is a new house for all of us. Petula had a really easy adjusting, my boyfriend loves her and spends a lot time training her. They seem to have a great relationship until recently... She's been trying to herd him in the mornings when he's getting ready for work, nipping at his pants, staying close to him, etc... Also if the boyfriend and I play around physically she gets snippy with him. I know this isn't a unique problem, I just want to make sure I deal with it in the best way for Petula. Thank you! MW
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 12:06pm PST 
Hmmm... my first advice would be to have him work on training her - but you said he already does that. I think she's just testing his/her role in the house and trying to be the boss of him. He's moved into position #2 in the house and she's not so sure about that.

I guess I'd put him in charge of feeding her for a while. Make sure she knows he's in charge of her food and have her sit before given the bowl. For my catahoula, control of the food is a good sign of who is in charge.

Also, don't let her get away with this behavior or she'll just keep pushing the boundaries. Make her stop it and sit. I've always used "SIT" as the go to command to get attention and get them focused.
Petula- Louise

Noses are for- nibbling!

Barked: Thu Jan 6, '11 3:20pm PST 
Thank you for the response! We've been trying your suggestions and she's been pretty good. Of course, we can't let our guard down with her. She'll just start back up again. If she wasn't tenacious, she wouldn't be the Catahoula we love.