Barks at everything!!

Hannah

Barked: Fri Oct 16, '09 6:14pm PST 
Hello, I just got my dachshund and i was hoping for some pointers! She so sweet and loving with us, but very scared and anxious with everybody else. She even barks at people walking by the truck while driving! I know this is usual for the breed, but can anyone tell me how to help Hannah feel less threatened?? She is almost scared of others and sometimes lashes out! Any suggestions or personal experiences??
Willie

I am King of my- Universe Willie

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 9:49pm PST 
One of our "babies" is similar. At home, he is king of the castle but very slow to take to other people and dogs and a constant barker. He got much better when we added the second one a year later. He is a wirehaired with the wirehair temperment of loving everyone. When the older one sees him getting petted and attention from strangers, he stops barking and goes over to get his share. We found a Dachshund club that meets once a month and starting taking both of them for some socialization and that helped too. Doxies do bark, but we have just learned to live with it and control it as best we can. But like most Dachshund owners, we mind him much better than he minds us. Regardless, the two of them put the joy in our days.