Dayzee's Food For The Soul

(Page 1 of 65: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
♥- Dayzee- ♥

I got THE- power!! Jesus.

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 6:35am PST 
I have been blessed with the honor of posting my "Soul food" in this wonderful group.
Each day I will bring to the table, foods that will touch the soul.
Please stop in and have something to eat with me.
And let me know how you like my cooking.
God bless you
wave

Edited by author Sun Apr 10, '11 6:16am PST

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 6:38am PST 
The Power of Praying Together
By Connie Lee, Eagan, Minnesota

“Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:20

We’ve all heard stories of groups of people who come together in prayer and receive amazing results. One church grew by leaps and bounds after some of its members began gathering before the morning service to pray for growth. In another case, a man was healed of late-stage lung cancer following intensive prayer support from his son’s congregation.

Is there power in numbers? Does God hear us better when we join our voices together?

If, by “power” we mean the ability to produce whatever outcome we choose, then, no, clearly not. For every cancer patient cured by prayer, there are many others who receive no cure even when hundreds of people are praying for them. But the act of praying together brings us into God’s presence in a fuller dimension than when we pray alone. There’s a reason why Jesus compared the kingdom of heaven to a banquet, rather than a table for two! Life’s important experiences are meant to be shared.

When I was five years old, my family spent a vacation at the sea shore. One evening we saw a spectacular sunset. The shimmering colors enthralled me, but the greatest joy was that everyone else was just as excited as I was. My sister and I kept jumping up from our beach chairs to point out new colors to our mother, who oohed and aahed appreciatively. Our grandparents, drawing on their vast store of memories, pronounced it one of the finest sunsets they had ever seen. Even our busy dad had a peaceful look on his face. The sharing of the experience meant more to me than the experience itself. In the same way, when we share the light of prayer, we not only feel closer to God but to one another.

Recently, my husband and I enjoyed a delightful evening at the home of some friends. As the serving dishes were passed from hand to hand, we discussed recipes, told jokes and caught up on the latest news. Afterward, savoring the memory of that dinner, I realized how praying together is very much like sharing a meal. It's true that the food would not be any less nourishing if each person ate separately, but breaking bread together feeds our spirit.

Some benefits from praying together are:

1. Praying together, collectively more prayers are prayed. Each of us has a unique way of praying and praying together brings a new voice to the need.

2. Praying together gives me a deep feeling of belonging. When I am part of a group, I feel that I am a necessary part of a greater purpose.

3. Praying together improves my mood. Looking out among others and feeling their love and care regardless of how I felt when I began, I leave feeling comforted.

4. Praying together opens my heart to the needs of the people around me and reminds me that sometimes I can be the answer to someone’s prayer.

Although I know God is always with me, and I often pray alone and enjoy the benefits of my solitary prayer time, I feel his presence most strongly when I'm praying with others. I believe lifting one another in prayer is one of the richest experiences we can share. Together, we are strengthened and blessed.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 6:40am PST 
April 09, 2009
“Love one another as I have loved you.”
John 15:12 (RSV)

Maundy (Commandment) Thursday takes its name from the charge Jesus gave His disciples at their final meal together: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another.” To demonstrate what this meant, He poured water into a basin, knelt and washed His disciples’ feet, a chore usually reserved for the lowliest slave.

Hearing the passage read out loud, I recalled a Maundy Thursday service on Cape Cod that included a foot-washing ritual. Fifteen chairs were lined up in front of the altar, a towel and a basin of water at each one. Everyone, the minister instructed, was to wash someone’s feet and to have his or her own washed. “If there’s anyone here,” he added, “who’s wronged you in any way, that’s the person whose feet you should wash.”

I was glad this didn’t affect me; the only person I knew here was my friend Elaine, who’d brought me. I washed the bony feet of an older man who seemed as glad as I when the little symbolic act was over.

Then it was my turn to sit. And from the back of the church someone all but ran straight to me. It was Elaine. As she washed my feet, I was astonished to see tears falling into the basin. Yesterday I’d remembered a time when I needed to forgive; now I was the offender! When? How?

Back at Elaine’s house, it came out: an old resentment over a remark I couldn’t even remember making. Apparently I’d said (about a clothing drive for Africa), “Until you’ve lived in a Third World country, you can’t imagine how little people have.”

“You’ve been to so many places,” my friend said, tears coming again. “I’d love to travel, but because I haven’t, you think I don’t know anything.”

It was my turn to cry—for the pain caused by my heedless remark. I apologized, Elaine forgave me, and our friendship has been deeper, stronger, more joyous ever since.

Lord Jesus, teach me to love.

By Elizabeth Sherrill

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 6:44am PST 
A Time to Think
I always prefer to believe the best of everybody--it saves so much trouble.—Rudyard Kipling

To Act
Share your love now while you have the chance.

To Pray
Lord, help me to see the possibility of love in others.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 6:08pm PST 
How to Make Easter Real for Your Kids
A mother offers advice on teaching children the real meaning of Easter.

By Kathryn Slattery, New Canaan, Connecticut
April, 1992

Jelly beans, cellophane-covered baskets, giant candy bunnies. As I spotted all the trappings of Easter in the supermarket, I thought to myself, No wonder kids get confused about Easter.

Explaining Christmas was a cinch—the birth of Christ is simpler to grasp. Creches, carols and pageants all reinforce the message, making it easier to keep Santa Claus in perspective. But how could I explain to my two school-age children something as profound and mysterious as the Resurrection?

I knew that other parents were struggling with this, too. In fact, I took the greatest comfort in the advice of one friend who said, "Start with the traditions you already have."

On Good Friday in our home we always color Easter eggs—three dozen. What could be a more obvious symbol of new life than eggs? Last year I told the children about a chick I once saw hatching in an incubator. I described how he poked his way out with his beak. "A new life. That's what we celebrate at Easter," I explained, "the new life we have in Christ."

The next bit of inspiration came while I was shopping. I found a set of Bible storybooks for my son, Brinck, and came across a tiny gold cross necklace for Katy. I included these presents in the children's Easter baskets, and since then I've added prayer journals, tapes, Scripture stickers and bookmarks. I like the tradition of Easter baskets, especially when I can include gifts that will nurture the children's faith.

The third idea came from GUIDEPOSTS contributor Posy Baker Lough. "Try something," she suggested, "to give children a good visual image of the Resurrection." She described a project at her church: The children were given caterpillars, and in the weeks prior to Easter the kids watched them spin cocoons, metamorphosing into butterflies.

"The butterflies were released just before Easter Sunday service," Posy said. "Afterward, when we explained to the kids that the cocoon was like Christ's death and entombment, and that his resurrection was like the butterfly, they understood."

At Easter time, images of new life are usually easy to find: crocuses and daffodils blooming, lambs gamboling in fields, birds returning to their nests, green returning to the landscape. But sometimes spring comes late (or Easter comes early) and the holiday meets a gray, cold day. Then I think of something that happened to my friend Alison.

On an unseasonably cold Easter morning when Alison was 10 years old, her mother urged her to go outside to see what was in the yard. There in the snow her mother had made a rainbow of hundreds of brightly colored lollipops, sparkling like bits of stained glass. "It seemed like a miracle," Alison says. "Magical, beautiful, full of mystery and wonder."

And that, I realize, is what I want more than anything else to give my children: the miracle of Easter. It was God's most astonishing miracle, the resurrection of Christ and the promise it held for us: eternal life.

So, finally, go to church on Easter. Put on your best clothes, take flowers from your garden, sing all the hymns with alleluias. Celebrate. Last Easter Sunday I was delighted when I overheard one youngster say, "Christmas is Jesus' birthday, but Easter is everybody's birthday."

Yes, it is. Easter is the time for you and your children—for all of us—to joyfully celebrate our new birth.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 8:01am PST 
April 10, 2009
“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
Mark 15:34 (NIV)

At our church from noon to 3:00 PM today, we recall the Seven Last Words of Jesus, spoken from the Cross. Of them all, the one I can hardly bear to hear is this cry of abandonment from the Son whose trust in the Father has been absolute.

Bible students believe that Jesus, Who knew the Scriptures so well, was in His agony reciting Psalm 22, which opens with this fearful outcry. How uncannily the lines, written hundreds of years earlier, describe His suffering! “They have pierced my hands and my feet” (Psalm 22:16, NIV).

The congregation kneels as we read the Psalm aloud: “They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing” (Psalm 22:18, NIV). And once more the familiar marvel of the Living Word repeats itself; lines I’ve read a thousand times light up with new meaning. This time it’s the final verses of the Psalm: “Future generations will be told about the Lord. They will proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn—for he has done it” (Psalm 22:30–31, NIV).

We are that future generation, those people not to be born for two thousand years. We have been told about Him, we know that “he has done it”—suffered death in order to rise with the promise of everlasting life. We know how the story ends.

Our friends Mark and Penny are such passionate partisans of the football team the Dallas Cowboys that they can’t bear the suspense of awaiting the final score. Rather than watch the games, they record them. Then, when they know how it has turned out, they can enjoy the plays, the tackles, the passes that brought it about.

We can bear that grief-stricken cry from the Cross. We know how it turns out.

Lord Jesus, help me endure the dark times in my own life in the knowledge that defeat is not the end of the story.

By Elizabeth Sherrill
Baby Ben CGC

Lubs you!

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 8:44am PST 
wavewaveI be enjoyin' dese readings da Gramma Suzy do read dem to me!! Lubs, from Baby
Delgado in- his real- Home

Are ya gon' let- BSL take me? Me?- ME?!?!

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 3:40pm PST 
That was touching, Dayzee! Sorry I haven't been on much. . . .

That also reminds me that our church goes up to the Alter in prayer, but I never have (Nor do I think it's bad) gone up to the Alter because I believe that it doesn't make God care more or harder. He cares indescribably where-ever and whenever works for you!

Lickies! party
Deisel (Delgado)
Lexus aka Lexi

Paying It- Forward *One- Smile At A Time*

Barked: Fri Apr 10, '09 10:49pm PST 
Hi Baby Benwave I haven't seen you for so long! I miss your family and give Grammy Suzy a hughugHi Diesel, I'm Lexi and it's nice to meet youhug
Delgado in- his real- Home

Are ya gon' let- BSL take me? Me?- ME?!?!

Barked: Sat Apr 11, '09 4:51am PST 
Nice to meet you too. You could read my profile. I've had a pretty amazing journey.

Hiya Dayzee!

I was wondering if you'd post that cell phone thing that you had in your diary. I thought that was VERY clever. Did you make that up?

Lickies! (party)
Delgado
  (Page 1 of 65: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]